Brexit: the next stage. Deal or No Deal? (and the General Election)

Comments

• There is an interesting thing that gives me a little optimism and it comes from the referendum. We were told that the remain camp relied on project fear and that appears all that the Tory party rely on in this election.

I don't think on current record how anyone can be happy with how the tories have brought the NHS to it's knees, are slowly beginning on the police, and the economy will likely follow with a hard brexit. So all they are saying is you cant trust JC to run any of those things, especially the economy. That is surely the same argument that lost remain the referendum.

I feel more than anything the referendum holds the outcome to this election and were brexit not happening and with May at the helm the Tories would lose massively, there only hope is that leavers are wed to brexit enough to overlook the NHS, education and the police in the belief (without any evidence so far ) that she is best placed to negotiate brexit. I actually think the opposite is true as I think the EU hate her and them and now their moment of vulnerability has passed with the Franco German elections and with strong leaders in France and Germany they will tell May and her self important cronies where to go. Corbyn however will forge friendship and allow a deal which suits both, he will not get the cake and eat it, but that never has and never will be available, that is simply the pup we have been sold.

• Terrorising the British public won't get ISIS what they want but how many of us will die when just going about our normal days.

How many of those lives could have been saved had the emergency services and hospitals not been systematically dismantled.

May talks a reasonable good talk but she never has been able to walk the walk.

Time to put politics aside, time to put petty differences and selfishness aside.

• I don't believe anyone died on Saturday due to any dismantling of the emergency services and hospitals.
  • Not sure herb, apparently at least one of these guys was under investigation which was dropped.

Was it dropped because of resources have to be put into other areas...

It there was more resources available maybe that choice wouldn't have to have been made...
  • IronHerb said:

I don't believe anyone died on Saturday due to any dismantling of the emergency services and hospitals.

More police = bigger chance of stopping something before it happens = Less lives lost.
  • The money due to be spent of Trident can be put to better use opening closed fire stations, increasing police numbers and training more nurses and paramedics.

The world has changed, nuclear weapons are no longer a deterrent. Putin, Trump and North Korea has seen to that.

We are fighting a war on a totally different front.
  • Just seen the latest Tory political broadcast on TV and May could not have used the word Brexit anymore if she tried. It's clear they have nothing else to offer but the belief they will get the best deal, even though they have started terribly with regard establishing tone with the EU even at this early stage.

Leave voters will decide this election. The middle grounders prefer Corbyn now to Milliband and seem to dislike May more than Cameron and that would alter the results of the last election were Brexit not involved. The question is will leavers let go of their brexit victory in place of funded services and trust Labour to still take them out? I really don't know the answer to that.
  • In the last Private Eye they mentioned a letter from Theresa May delivered to voters in Bath used the words "me" and "I" 23 times but only used the word "Conservative" twice.

In the latest issue it seems letters to five different constituencies used "me", "I", "strong and stable government", "Brexit" and "Jeremy Corbyn" numerous times but not a single mention of "Conservative". Even the candidate is "my candidate" not the "Conservative" or "Tory".
  • edited June 2017
    So, now we have it. Teresa May resorts to her default mode, which she pushed and pushed for as Home Secretary: take away human rights and remove the 'innocent until proven guilty' assumption. Let's punish people on the basis of suspicion, gossip, racism, Islamophobia and racial profiling. Better safe than sorry? Not in my name, Teresa. ;angry

Look at the things she refers to. 1. 'Longer sentences for even less serious offences' Utterly irrelevant in the 2 London and Manchester attacks. Since none of the attackers had been convicted of anything. So there's no evidence that these measures are needed.

2. 'making it easier for the authorities to deport foreign terror suspects (3) to their own countries'.

Well, that wouldn't have helped prevent the London Bridge or Westminster or Manchester attacks, because not one of the 5 attackers had been designated threats by the security services. And even if they had been real 'suspects', the Westminster attackers and one of the London Bridge attackers was British. Where exactly would they have been deported to?

But it all sounds tough, and it all plays to the right wing and the racist's agenda. It makes it sound like she has the answers to the terror threat. Despite the fact that on closer scrutiny, there's no evidence for these measures. But then, she's not that keen on evidence.

Instead of this nonsense, why not wait until the MI5 review is complete to see if procedures and processes were at fault, or if resources were too stretched? I mean, why would you actually try to do something that helped prevent terror attacks when you can instead focus on eliciting a kneejerk reaction that will get you elected again? Vile vile woman.
  • Outcast - the highest Remain vote was Market ward in Cambridge, 84.8%.

Cambridge Utd finished 11th in League 2.

Sorry
  • If she gets in it will be the beginning of the end for everything I hold dear.
  • Outcast - the highest Remain vote was Market ward in Cambridge, 84.8%.

Cambridge Utd finished 11th in League 2.

Sorry

Only the Premier League matters.
  • Too much Jive talking. They're telling me Lies...
  • Only the Premier League matters.

I'll remind you of that the next time we get relegated.......
  • Only the Premier League matters.

I'll remind you of that the next time we get relegated.......
    Then only the Championship matters.
  • Diane Abbott has stepped down as Shadow Home Secretary due to "ill health"

I think they finally realised that she's not that popular outside of Hackney North

Abbott will be replaced by Lyn Brown, the Rt. Hon Member for West Ham who went to school in Silvertown and East Ham. Bet she's a Hammer.....
  • edited June 2017
    Daily Mail ;angry

No doubt at some point it will be forced to retract some of the false statements, twisted reporting, repeatedly disproven lies and smears it has published in its 13 pages of attack today, and apologise. Which it will do in an obscure corner of the paper.

But by then the damage will have been done.
  • MrsGrey said:

Daily Mail ;angry

No doubt at some point it will be forced to retract some of the false statements, twisted reporting, repeatedly disproven lies and smears it has published in its 13 pages of attack today, and apologise. Which it will do in an obscure corner of the paper.

But by then the damage will have been done.

Mrs G - I don't read the Daily Heil, owned by Lord Rothermere who has a personal fortune of £800m and lives at Ferne Park in Wiltshire, a 220-acre estate with a £40m house.

Except when it comes to paying UK taxes, then he lives in France, he inherited non-Dom status from his dad.
  • edited June 2017
    Lord Rothermere ;devil ;angry
  • Mrs G - just seen the Daily Mail front page on the Gruaniad website, to be honest I don't expect anything else from that pathetic rag, not fit even for bog paper.....
  • I'm not sure what you would expect it to say. ;hmm
  • edited June 2017
    Maybe they could have given the reasons why people should vote Tory, rather than smearing, lying and mud-slinging directed at the opposition?

Just a thought.

Although, knowing its record, I expect nothing other than gutter journalism.
  • There you go then. You got what you, and most of us, expected.
  • Unfortunately a populous that allows papers such as the Daily Mail, The Sun and the Express to subvert democracy with propaganda deserves all it gets.

The two big issues within our current model is that we actually even believe in democracy without recognising it's reliance upon information dissemination which provides a fatal flaw in the idea itself and that we call our press free and have never designated all news outlets as propaganda machines working towards specific agendas of their operators. If we do this at least we are being honest instead of imagining democracy and the way we do it being some unquestionable way of producing ' the will of the people', should read the 'will of the information providers.

If Corbyn pulls it off tomorrow and even denies them a majority it will be the biggest political performance of my lifetime as never has any politician had so much go against him and remained standing and winning. I don't make him my ideal candidate by a long shot as I am a far more centre leaning voter but he is our only hope tomorrow and he has given it all he could.

JC saves!
  • IronHerb said:

There you go then. You got what you, and most of us, expected.

Depressing, init.
  • Corbyn isn't winning anything and won't even get close. Conservatives will extend their majority quite comfortably. A lot of social media guff has propelled him which rarely translates into actual votes.

The majority of the British public is stupid hence the Sun and other trash is still around and not out of business.
  • Init just.
  • Still undecided for tomorrow. Both May and Corbyn are dreadful. Might have to spoil my ballot paper...