January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• So neither Fonte not Snodgrass count as HG players (I don't think.)

Replacing 2 foreigners in Payet + Zaza?

So we are still borderline on requirements for home grown players.
  • @Mrs. Grey
    The following eight, the required number, are registered as home grown players for WHU at the start of the 2016/17 season (https://www.premierleague.com/news/84136 )

*Antonio, Michail Gregory
    *Carroll, Andrew Thomas
    *Collins, James Michael
    *Cresswell, Aaron
    *Noble, Mark James
    *Nordtveit, Havard
    *Randolph, Darren Edward Andrew
    *Westley, Samuel Edward

So the Snodgrass and Fonte signing do not affect the basic equation unless the rules have changed. Teams can also be creative by using Development Squad players to pad the squad. If Hogan is signed he might replace Westley.
  • Do Irish players count as home grown then?
  • Nordtveit a home-grown player? I thought he was Norwegian ...
  • Do Scottish players not count as home grown? ;nonono
  • Wasn't nordvelt here as a youngster with Arsenal?
  • edited January 2017
    I was sure all home nations were included, but on looking it up:

...to be classified as homegrown one must be on an English team for at least three years before the age of twenty-one..

Pengeman -
    missed out Byram, Samuel Mark from that list, he was included in our 25 and HG ;thumbsup
  • @FlorinRaduclious : Thanks. You are right I missed it - must go to specsavers.
  • edited January 2017
    Penge ;ok
    That's what I meant, borderline. As in, we have the minimum (with Byran, and ignoring Westley, who's not going to play).

Suggests we won't be signing any more non HG players this window - or next - unless we sell a foreign player to make space.

We can use the U23s to inflate out HG numbers only if we don't have a full senior squad of 25.

It's not a huge issue, but after years of us always have more than enough, and not really worrying about it, we are now having to be careful with signings.
  • I think we will get Hogan over the line but still think we will still be a Striker + RB short (assuming Feghouli is kept for the midfield to be ok)

Expect Payet and Calleri to be the only outs.
  • I suspect if we sign Hogan that will be it. Our striker options would be Carroll, Hogan, Antonio, Ayew and Fletcher.

I'd like a right back, but I wonder if we'll make do for now and then (try to) get a top class player in the summer.
  • If this all comes off, for me at least, it would have a been a good window with a decent bit of business done.

We can if we need to then look at viable realistic Striker and RB options in the summer.
  • I suspect if we sign Hogan that will be it. Our striker options would be Carroll, Hogan, Antonio, Ayew and Fletcher.

I'd like a right back, but I wonder if we'll make do for now and then (try to) get a top class player in the summer.

And Sakho

More than enough to get to the end of the season.
  • Sun report we're going to bid £9m for Hull's CB Harry Maguire.

Seems unlikely. ;hmm
  • I really hope not. He's terrible.
  • He was immense last week vs Chelsea but do we really need another defender? Id rather Burke/Oxford given a go
  • Only way I could see it is if Ginge was off.

Otherwise makes no sense.
  • IronHerb said:

I really hope not. He's terrible.

;hmm
    I rate this player for a very bright future, wherever he ends up...

Only time will tell IH ;ok
  • With Twist on this one, I think he's a good player, but now we have a functioning RB, I think Slav will stick with four at the back. Thereby 2 CB. Reid, Fonte, Collins, Ogbonna, Oxford, Nordtveit, Kouyate, Burke, how many do we need??

For me I would be happy to sell Ogbonna without another replacement coming in and look to perhaps blood Oxford and/or Burke more. Or alternatively get them both good season long loans at championship level, still leaves us Reid, Fonte, Collins, Nordtveit and Kouyate!!
  • The price we would get for Collins is less than the value of him to our team in my opinion. Always reliable, always puts in 100%. Also, happy enough to generally be a bench player. Furthermore it seems he's very popular in the dressing room and a leader. And British. Loves the club. Great beard too. I've forgot my point. Keep Collins for next season, Oxford and Burke come in the season after. ;ok
  • edited January 2017
    Maguire's just come on for Hull in their FA cup match, after Curtis Davis had to go off with a hammy.
  • Florin - great point on Collins. Probably the sort of player you'd get £1m/£2m for yet his ability and form for us is certainly worth more than that. Fonte cost us £8m, so Ginge should be valued at around £5m, even at his age.
  • Lukerz - I would say the discrepancy is even higher than that. Who could we get for even above 8m with Collins experience, ability, yet be happy and not mope in the dressing room sitting on the bench watching Reid and Fonte? Because I don't think we can find a CB better than those two at our level so any coming in will be on the bench. I seriously can't think of any candidate, and then you're looking at foreign players I've not heard of, and will they fit seamlessly into our training atmosphere? Not mentioning the fact they wouldn't have Collins' wealth of premiership experience and know-how. Genuinely skilled people who are happy on the bench such as Collins are vital for a club like ours. You need depth but don't play the amount of games to rotate enough to keep them happy like European qualifying teams, particularly at CB where a consistent pairing is so important.

TL:DR I am Collins' agent.
  • Ok so given the news in the last hour, does anybody think we may see more than just the (expected) arrival of Hogan?? I'd certainly expect Calleri to be on his way. There's still two days to go...
  • We're still waiting on Defoe.

Hogan is very much plan B.
  • We still want mini judas then?
  • Tbf surely we are guaranteed safety.....

Does Defoe make any sense?
    He's better than Hogan, but he's 33, even if he comes and gets 10 goals we aren't gonna finish higher than 7th/8th and are out of both cups

So it's going to be £10+ mil for a player who this season probably isn't going to make a huge difference, and he'll be a year older come next year

Surely Hogan long term makes more sense right now

Either way I'd take both of them but given our current position think I'd personally take a risk on Hogan then defoe
  • If we had 10 points less than we do then Defoe would be the call, although not safe by any means we are not still where we were 6 weeks ago and so Hogan should be the call. Not sure about him due to his injuries but Defoe is simply an emergency signing at his age and I don't think we have an emergency now.

He says with everything crossable crossed.
This discussion has been closed.