The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• Grey with the ramifications for the club I don't think you could make it work. Even Antonio says himself in that piece people get banned and get back into stadiums.
    The administration of such things is almost impossible. Its a deterrent that isn't fully backed up.

Adding points deductions isn't the way to go you open up a whole can of worms.
  • Yeold

I'm sure that if such a route was to be taken a thorough investigation would take place. If you can identify the person who engaged in the behaviour, it's not hard to work out their background. If a West Ham fan turned up at a Spurs game to try and get Spurs deducted points, and then was found to be a West Ham fan and we lost points as a result, then I'd like to think no West Ham fans would do something so stupid again.

I'd like to see an important player from the club say they want to leave because they don't want to represent a club whose fans think it's ok to be racist. Imagine if Kante had come out and said after the Sterling incident that he didn't want to represent Chelsea anymore because of it. Fans need to see actual repurcussions for their actions, and 'bans' are clearly not a sufficient as a deterrant.
  • Yes Luke, it is a social problem and one that's even more sensitive now when many of the people who peddle racism feel emboldened and also threatened that many of the demographics they target are now in better positions to point it out because they're most established in British society. So race is spoken about more but the people who like to be racist but don't like to be called racist are lashing out. I don't think this is an environment where education is going to get you far when you can find a racist voice in mainstream media at any given moment.

But it's also a football problem because football stadiums are the rare place where tens of thousands of people gather weekly. It's also a place where hostility to the opposition is encouraged, and that can make for a great atmosphere but it can also spill over with some people. And there's a history of it in football - a lot of people from ethnic minorities are still wary of football fans.

I think grey's right: you can't change how they think but you can change how they behave.
  • How can you trust a thorough investigation to take place though. We have clubs who do very well and profit from flaunting FFP rules. We have seen from Government states, to big corporations and FIFA itself corruption that can go around. I wouldn't actually put it past clubs or people in cushy places to meddle hard in these circumstances.

For example, say your club is a point behind the league title winners going into the final game. Your team wins and the leaders lose and you win the title, then it comes to light someone shouted racist abuse during the game (lets assume the club would receive a 3 point deduction thereby your team losing the title if so)

1) Do people step up and report the guy in the first place knowing you may deny your team a title victory ? if they don't have we got any further with actually confronting the issue ? does the points deduction actually work in those circumstances when the stakes are that high ?

2) Or say someone does report it, the risks involved to both the perpetrator and to the person who reported the incident would be sky high ? especially in a football world.

Its such a can of worms.

I don't know what the answer is but I don't think going more radical solves the issue.
  • I think you're missing the point Yeold. It's not about if someone shouts abuse, its how that incident is dealt with. If the club do nothing there is an issue. If the club deal with the problem then there is less of a problem.
  • The club always do something, they hand out bans that do nothing really.

I think clubs in general are quick to act but don't enforce it. I honestly think some fans that are banned walk back in to the stadium a month later. Unless they start passport control style everyone who enters the stadium it will never be enforced properly.
  • As a report reveals that the failed London Garden Bridge cost the taxpayers some £43m of the £53m spent (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698), we fix the BBC graphic for them:

a.fw
  • grey/outcast - the point you make occurred to me also, when I was reading Lukerz post: the need to clearly distinguish between attitude/belief, and actions.

Some approaches might work (or not) on tackling the first. But it goes beyond what a club alone can do.

However, there are a heck of a lot of things that have been proven to change behaviour, an dmany of these are withing the power of the clubs/FA to implement. imo we need to focus on stopping this behaviour by giving a few more of these as yet untried-in-football methods a go.
  • How about we stick people who hurl racist abuse in the pillory and let the subs take target practice at them during half time. Certainly that would provide some form of Entertainment ;whistle ;wink
  • Munich.
    Certainly that would provide some form of the Entertainment.

Fixed it for ya. ;wink ;biggrin
  • Don't think it would bother them looking at some of the subs on our bench; they cant hit a goal so no chance hitting a person with the ball.
  • Barney

Just put the stocks either side of the goal. Simples. ;biggrin
  • Or when Antonio shoots put them just above the crossbar ten yards to the left lol
  • That close? ;biggrin
  • Changing tack - at Christmas I received a two dvd set, called The Best Decade, it included The Big Match West Ham edition and a copy of the 75 final.

Essentially it features highlights of a West Ham game for each year from 1969 - 1983 (not exactly a decade but still) as shown on sundays The Big Match, I got strangely nostalgic at The Big Match intro music for each year.

Brian Moore and Jimmy Hill, words fail me (but to be fair I always did prefer Motsons commentary) but watching this made me realize just how far we have come in how the game is presented.

I have been laid low with the bug that is going around but I must admit that it made for a decent watch from my sick bed.
  • Millwall through to the quarter final. Oh, what could have been!
  • When is the Fulham going up?
  • After you, ammerin.
  • In between long spells of definitely working very hard today at work, I decided to take a look at the 'best of the rest' teams in the league and try to make a two bext XIs from the squads. The Best of the Best of the Rest vs The Rest of the Best of the Best of the Rest, if you will.

It's really hard to do, and I've tried not to be biased, but this is what I came up with.

GK: Fabianski / Patricio
    DR: Doherty / Wan-Bissaka
    DC: Coady / Diop
    DC: Maguire / Ake
    DL: Chilwell / Digne
    DM: Rice / Gueye
    MC: Doucoure / Neves
    AM: Brooks / Maddison
    RW: Zaha / Arnautovic
    LW: Anderson / Richarlison
    ST: Jimenez / Vardy

What does everyone think?
  • My Lanzini
  • edited February 2019
    No place for Bats? ;weep

Ok. fine... Sigurdsson? Tarkowski? Mee? Heaton?
  • Bazshuayi said:

No place for Bats? ;weep

It's for Best players not overrated ;sofa
  • I'd probably have (pre-January) Arnautovic ahead of Vardy.
  • Hamstew said:

Bazshuayi said:

No place for Bats? ;weep

It's for Best players not overrated ;sofa
    How very dare you!!

(bet Bats scores more points from now til the end of the season than Lanzini will....)
  • edited February 2019
    Wilson and Fraser (before Wilson got injured and Fraser played hard sides ;lol )

Also, Pereira at Leicester too has contributed plenty of assists and some goals
  • edited February 2019
    I’d have Heaton over Patricio personally & probably Rondon over Vardy based on form this season (I appreciate Heaton has only played since Xmas).

Rest of that is pretty fair, to be honest. ;ok
This discussion has been closed.