Man Utd in the cup on Tuesday

The last week has been rubbish, brilliant and then rubbish against so fully expect us to be brilliant.

Comments

• This'll be rubbish
  • Think Mike dean has Man Utd in the ref sweepstakes
  • Would have been a hard game even with a full strength team, but Antonio and Soucek looking like they'll miss out, I think it's nailed on for Utd.

If those two don't make it, we're looking at:

Fab
    Coufal Dawson Ogbonna Cresswell
    Rice Noble
    Bowen Fornals Benrahma
    Yarmolenko

Pogba, Fred and McTominay will absolutely destroy our midfield two, and our lack of options to rotate mean some tired legs will have to keep going.

Sadly I think this'll be fairly comfortable for the Mancs.
  • Maybe go 433 and put Fornals in the midfield 3.
  • One things for sure, if we are going to be downed, it won’t be pogba doing the honours this time - he’s just gone off injured.
  • Assuming Souček is out and Antonio is fit (around 70 minutes against Fulham he was gesturing that he wants to come off):

Fabiański,
    Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell
    Coufal Rice Fornals Fredericks/Johnson
    Bowen Antonio Benrahma

Or may be Moyes will come up with some tactical shuffle. If Noble replaces Souček, we will be overrun in midfield. Is our name on the cup?
  • Pogba picked up an injury in 1st half tonight...
    Ref for game ......Mike Dean.....,
    Sorry I mean Paul Tierney 🏃‍♂️
  • I could be wrong but isn’t there a way you can go about an appeal (soucek) so that any ban (if upheld) doesn’t start till a game later? A personal hearing? Does anybody know the rules?
  • I don’t think the ban includes this game
  • Yes it does Lukerz. New rules.
  • BBC sport says it includes Man U game
  • edited February 2021
    Think if appealed and no decision on outcome before the game he is free to play, not 100% sure though
  • Often the decision to appeal defers any ban until the appeal can be heard, so it's possible if we appeal (as the next game is so close) he'll be allowed to play against Man Utd and, if the ban is upheld, it will be for 3 subsequent games.
  • Our best chance then is to lodge any appeal 1 minute before the deadline to do so!
  • Our best chance then is to lodge any appeal 1 minute before the deadline to do so!

It's certainly a ploy that's been used by other clubs.
  • I mean do we want him missing the cup game or the league game away to city?

That’s what it potentially comes down to.
  • I’m sure that will come into Moyes thinking as he seems to think there’s a slim chance it will be overturned.
  • Yarmalenko 🙈
  • edited February 2021
    Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Souček - Rice
    Bowen - Benrahma - Fornals
    Antonio

Trott, Balbuena, Dawson, Coufal, Johnson, Noble, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Odubeko

If Antonio cannot he risked, then I’d stick Bowen up front & bring in Lanzini.
  • Lukerz,

Are you per chance on the red card appeals panel? 😂
  • No Coufal? This guy is seriously fit and runs from start to finish and when he's exhausted he runs through the 'brick wall'. With United speedy and tricky wing backs I don't see him not playing.
  • Coufal has eight weetabix for breakfast then runs 20 miles to training before putting everyone else to shame runs home tackling 5 muggers on the way back then does a million sit ups before watching emmerdale 😁
  • If the red card isn’t overturned, I’d be interested in seeing us try the England 2018 system. Back 5, 1 holding midfielder, 2 attacking midfielders, 2 forwards.

Fab; Coufal Dawson Ogbonna Cresswell Johnson; Rice; Lanzini Fornals; Benrahma Antonio
  • Coufal has eight weetabix for breakfast then runs 20 miles to training before putting everyone else to shame runs home tackling 5 muggers on the way back then does a million sit ups before watching emmerdale 😁

Genius =) =)
  • He prefers east Enders so he knows what noble is saying
  • Moyes says Antonio will be touch & go for this due to ‘fatigue’.
  • Either way, we're in trouble. He's basically a timebomb. If he doesn't play, our chances of progressing are reduced. If he does play, he gets further fatigued and risks a hamstring tear and our league position is compromised.

Honestly still can't believe how a professional football club has let it get to this; one senior striker with a history of injury to see us through half a season.
  • edited February 2021

Either way, we're in trouble. He's basically a timebomb. If he doesn't play, our chances of progressing are reduced. If he does play, he gets further fatigued and risks a hamstring tear and our league position is compromised.

Honestly still can't believe how a professional football club has let it get to this; one senior striker with a history of injury to see us through half a season.

I was thinking about this yesterday.

Basically our squad is massively short, almost negligently, in the CM & ST positions, yet the rest is pretty solid.

We have decent depth at GK: Fabianski, Randolph, Martin, Trott
    Decent depth at CB: Ogbonna, Dawson, Balbuena, Diop
    Decent depth at FB: Coufal, Cresswell, Fredericks, Johnson, Masuaku (when fit)
    Decent depth in the AM/LM/RM positions: Bowen, Lingard, Benrahma, Yarmolenko, Fornals, Lanzini

All good so far.

Then CM: Souček, Rice, Noble
    ST: Antonio
  • edited February 2021
    And without wanting to knock him too much, I don't think Noble is good enough at this level anymore. His influence on games is waning and he isn't an adequate replacement for either Rice or Soucek in terms of what they bring to the team.

I can just accept us not spending big last month, but a couple of loans could have gone a long way to giving us much needed cover.