Man Utd in the cup on Tuesday

1789101113»

Comments

• Really like Ben Johnson’s interview on the club Facebook page. Genuinely disappointed to have lost and not at all intimidated by the opposition.

https://www.facebook.com/129911763708715/posts/4074485565917962/?vh=e
  • What we lacked yesterday was pace and an out ball

If Haller was playing, based on his performances for US, there would have been, imo, no difference to this game

Still think we did need a new striker, but also see why we let go of Haller as he was pretty ineffective for us and while £20mil is a big loss but as an individual sale, £20mil for a player who has no impact is a good deal for a club our size
  • Are we going to talk about Haller after every match? :( :(
  • I think Lukerz has it right in terms of “power struggle”. Sully may well have say offered up Diego Costa on a short term deal.

But Moyes may have viewed this as a another habit of the past. And also he thinks this sort of think may not be great for dressing room harmony. (Although equally we still signed Jesse on a short term)

Problem is that we are now left with what we saw yesterday.

We probably now need to hope Jesse turns into the next Arnie.
  • Don't see that as a power struggle. Any time you tell Sullivan that you're not going to spend his money I don't see him arguing with that.
  • MrsGrey said:

Are we going to talk about Haller after every match? :( :(

No as long as we keep winning matches it will be Sebastian who before long but if we don’t then ......😬

• Anyone have any idea what Noble was up to when he tackled van de Beek taking a throw-in?

• Anyone have any idea what Noble was up to when he tackled van de Beek taking a throw-in?

I thought he should have been booked for that. He probably thought the throw-in should have gone the other way but that is no excuse.

Just arriving late as usual.
  • Noble hadn't played in a while ,so I think he'd forgotten the rules
  • Was I watching a different game?. I watched the match and several repeats this morning and no one mentioned how high Martials studs were when hit Ogbonna's lower leg. Martial nervously looked round to the linesman as soon as it happened. Call me a cynic but I'm sure that if one of our players had done that to a Manc, they would have been dismissed for dangerous play. The BBC report said he accidently trod on Ogbonna. His studs were up so in no way could he have trodden on him. Have a look at the close up replay and tell me we wouldn't have had a red card for the same thing.
  • Not a red for me Epsom. Looked like a genuine attempt to get to the ball.

But I take your point that if the boot was on the other foot...
  • edited February 2021
    I had the same discussion in our whatsapp group yesterday. For me it was bad luck, Martial had every right to go for the ball and didn't really have much chance of getting his foot out of the way.
  • Not a red for me Epsom. Looked like a genuine attempt to get to the ball.

But I take your point that if the boot was on the other foot...

Then there would be two boots on one foot. =)

• We extended Antonio's contract in December and he is looking ever increasingly like the next Andy Carroll, his hamstrings are looking like 3 matches on four matches off.
  • edited February 2021
    Think that's a little unfair. Pretty sure Antonio gives us more games and has been giving far more in those games than Carroll ever did. Andy Carroll was also never expected to carry our attack for 90 mins every time he returned, there were other options that let him ease in. We haven't had the option to give Antonio games off or even minutes off. He's constantly being pushed to his limit right now.

I thought we were exposed and he was trying to delay the throw in - he should have been booked, but got away with it as play was allowed to continue
  • Think that's a little unfair. Pretty sure Antonio gives us more games and has been giving far more in those games than Carroll ever did. Andy Carroll was also never expected to carry our attack for 90 mins every time he returned, there were other options that let him ease in. We haven't had the option to give Antonio games off or even minutes off. He's constantly being pushed to his limit right now. </blockquote

Well it’s not like it was a secret about his hamstrings so clearly somebody is at fault

• Was I watching a different game?. I watched the match and several repeats this morning and no one mentioned how high Martials studs were when hit Ogbonna's lower leg. Martial nervously looked round to the linesman as soon as it happened. Call me a cynic but I'm sure that if one of our players had done that to a Manc, they would have been dismissed for dangerous play. The BBC report said he accidently trod on Ogbonna. His studs were up so in no way could he have trodden on him. Have a look at the close up replay and tell me we wouldn't have had a red card for the same thing.

I mentioned this at the time that we would have had a card for that
  • What we lacked yesterday was pace and an out ball

If Haller was playing, based on his performances for US, there would have been, imo, no difference to this game

Still think we did need a new striker, but also see why we let go of Haller as he was pretty ineffective for us and while £20mil is a big loss but as an individual sale, £20mil for a player who has no impact is a good deal for a club our size

Bowen was the fastest player in the prem last season according to the sun. We did look better when after Fredericks came on, but what a player Antonio is. Words can’t describe how he’s missed.
  • edited February 2021
    Its on BBC iplayer, 41:00

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000s5ln/the-fa-cup-202021-fifth-round-manchester-united-v-west-ham-united

Martial took a shot on goal, Oggy blocked it and got caught by Martial's follow through

Purely accidental
  • Bizarrely if Utd reach the final Lingard could well play.
  • Another wonderful alternative commentary from West Ham Clips (warning: a bit sweary)

Diop "the crossiant Cannavaro"
    Martial "the fromage Theo Walcott"
    McTominay "the Irn-Bru Boa Morte"