Man Utd in the cup on Tuesday

Comments

• Thank heavens that’s over. We created nothing at all and deserved to go out. I hope Utd get City next.
  • edited February 2021

Well, personally, I want more bravery in my side for a game like that

There’s a reason Moyes has never won there, plays the stadium & not the side
  • Tbh when Oggie went off injured I wasn't expecting this end result. When Diop got subbed I was expecting the worst. So well played, clean sheet over 90 mins and in another season that would have been enough for a replay.

The goal was well taken so no complaints from me there. How often would we have been thrashed after losing not one but 2 defenders in the first half?
  • Hamstew said:

I feel let down by someone, whoever it is at the club that has decided our striker situation

Yeah, I mean we've done it to death, but quite how we didn't get someone in, even on loan, is beyond me. I know what Moyes' position is, but if he sees Yarmolenko and an untested 18 year old as suitable cover then I just don't understand it.
  • Can’t agree we didn’t want to win that. We defended well throughout but offered little going forward. It took them to bring on some top players to make the breakthrough following a mistake by Declan. We had chances with Dawson and Benrahma.
  • Frustrating game to watch, it seems like Moyes is giving the top 6 too much respect

But all in all I'm not too worried, just glad it's over

It's fair enough trying to "go for the cup" but if it was that easy then you'd have mid table clubs winning it year in year out

United are a top 4 team, with an ridiculous amount of money/talent whereas we are a team who almost got relegated last year and are slowly getting the team the manager wants

• Could be Dawson and Balbuena next Monday. If there’s no Antonio or Yarmo no idea who’ll play up front. Odebeko just seemed overawed and offered nothing at all.
  • You can cross off the Benrahma chance , it was offside!!
  • I actually think we should have had a pen just before full time for a handball.
  • Got no interest in us being plucky losers. Clean sheet over 90 mins not terribly relevant either. We are out at the end of the day. If you don’t remotely look like scoring you deserve to go out. Mediocre effort
  • 🎵 41 years of hurt, FA Cup still gleaming 🎵
  • I actually think we should have had a pen just before full time for a handball.

Nope, sorry no handball there IMO
  • Not great... injuries to deal with.... never looked like threatening to score... thought Johnson played well and Noble not as bad as feared.. Won’t be popular with this comment, but Benrahma really frustrates me.... want more from him IMO...

I sometimes wonder whether its because he had better players around him at Brentford. Da Silva, Watkins and Mbeumo are arguably better than Fornals, Antonio and Bowen (in current form).

He's done some very, very good things for us, but his consistency just isn't there yet.
  • edited February 2021
    I can’t fault the effort of the side. I think they put in as much as the personnel, formation & gameplan allowed, not to mention the lack of options in the squad.

It’s just a shame that we, yet again, are not able to get into the later stages of the FA Cup.
  • Better second half. In previous seasons we would have list this by 4 or 5 after Oggy went off.
  • We showed no sign of scoring. May be Benrahma and Lanzini should have come on earlier. Odebeko never seemed to jump for any aerial duel and showed no movement. Long way off a EPL spot. May be harsh to judge on one game. What has happened to Bowen? He has had too many off games and showed no spark. Yarmolenko struggled, as usual. Can't see any decent alternatives in the squad.
  • OCS 👍🏻 There is player in him for sure... I just am not yet convinced, he often seems to pick the wrong option to me.... I am not completely dissing him, but yet to be totally won over....1st season, so next season will be the true judgment...
  • edited February 2021
    I think Benrahma has been consistent. He hasn’t hidden, he’s looked for the ball and looked to create chances. He’s played a key role in at least 7 goals this season. He was trying to find opportunities constantly after he came on tonight. Even his late ball switching it to Coufal was great vision and almost perfectly executed apart from it probably asking just a little too much from a player who’d played 120 mins.

Our squad is stretched and exhausted. I think Rice doesn’t give it away if he’s not so tired. We know they’re a threat on the counter and managed to limit that a lot but we just don’t have enough goal threat ourselves without a striker.

Just saw your last point Jay: I think it’s worth considering how bad Bruno’s accuracy stats are. Players who make things happen often also get things wrong but you have to force it. I’m personally so impressed by how he is constantly showing up. It’s the opposite of Lanzini who unfortunately hides a bit these days.
  • I saw the 1964, 1975 and 1980 cup wins plus the 1965 cup winners win. With my advancing years I doubt I will live to see us win another trophy. We are years behind the top teams and billions behind their spending power so can’t see us closing the gap.
    I expected us to go out tonight so am not too disappointed (unless we would have faced Bournemouth or Barnsley in the 6th round) but I don’t want to see us slipping disappointingly down the league.
    Our next few games won’t be easy especially if Antonio still feels too tired to play as we have no outlet.
  • On the plus side, we can save winning the FA Cup for when the Hammers fans are back to watch it
  • One bad touch and it’s lights out

I’m still waiting for yarmas two goals

• I know we took them to extra time but that result looked inevitable to me from about 3 minutes in.
  • I expect Lingard will now get an uninterrupted run of games until the end of the season unless of course he gets injured.
  • Neither our owners nor our manager have ever won anything.

It was written in the stars to lose tonight 😂

• For Man Utd read West Ham

For West Ham read Stockport County

We played the Stockport role perfectly - we were always going to lose but are probably deemed plucky for holding out for so long.
  • edited February 2021
    Weren't they the owners when Birmingham won the cup? ( Efl, Cocoa-cola, milk or whatever it was called )
  • Yoyo

Am pretty certain they won it just after they left 😂

Didn’t they beat us in the semi on their way to doing so?
  • That would sum them right up! Sell a club and it has instant success!
  • Outcast 👍🏻 Fair points... For me though Lanzini was more impressive than Benrahma, this before his horror injury, but yeh, he’s never been the same player... I agree with flair players it’s not every ball gonna be a winner...
    I am sure we haven’t seen the best of him, so that excites me, just at the moment he often takes one too many touches or tries too hard, keep it simple.
    His assists are good , a goal would do the world of good 😌
  • edited February 2021
    So, to summarise, we're out of the cup and;

Failed to register a single shot on goal in 120 minutes of football.

Lost a centre back to concussion who had himself come on for an injured centre back.

Suffered an injury to our back-striker who was deputising for our other injured striker, meaning we had to play our substitute striker who went on to be substituted himself.

Finished the game with three right backs on the pitch, one at centre back and the other two on each wing.

Anything I've missed?