Man Utd in the cup on Tuesday

Comments

• We're safe and out the cup. Hope Moyes starts playing some youngsters and getting them minutes. More of Ben Johnson.
  • We're safe and out the cup. Hope Moyes starts playing some youngsters and getting them minutes. More of Ben Johnson.

That reminds me. Conor Coventry. He's back playing now but hasn't been making the bench. The only other DM at the club; maybe give him some minutes if SouDec needs a rest.
  • Stop making things up OCS. Our original first choice striker is actually “fatigued” 😂
  • Thought Johnson looked very comfortable playing in the team
  • Apologies but reading some of the comments on here it’s as if the season is now over & it might just be as we didn’t take the necessary steps blah blah blah in the transfer window. I hope Mr Moyes will now show all the non believers that his way is the right way and ensure we qualify for Europe through our league position otherwise he will be proved wrong won’t he? 😉
  • I thought Benrahma was good when he came on.
  • I just don’t know why Lanzini & Benrahma were not on earlier
  • edited February 2021
    I am not sure what to make of tonight.

Very poor line up in the first half which led to us never really once getting in the game.

Very bad luck with Ogbonna and then Diop both needing go off but a superb defensive effort from everyone to blunt a decent, if not on top form United side, to restrict them to so few opportunities. Dawson and Coufel just great.

Utterly toothless up front without Antonio

Substitutions baffling to leave Benrahma and Lanzini on the bench for so long.

Lastly, I am firmly in the Noble has had his day camp but I thought he had a really good game.

• the team kept trying the quality was not there, some players need a rest but the squad doe not allow it. 10/10 for trying and not dropping their heads
  • The players looked done in at the end ,Glad we dont play again untill monday .Did think they tried there hearts out.And that is really all i ask for
  • What annoyed me most of all was my co-commentator Jan Kirchof. He spent pretty much the entire 120 minutes trash-talking West Ham, Moyes, the players. 🤯🤮
  • The worst of everything tbh. Firstly, we lost. Secondly, 3 players got injured. Thirdly, a lot of players played 120 minutes in an already busy season. Finally, Odubeko not only didn't look very good, but also will have had his confidence shook by being subbed off, despite having fresher legs than those around him, for an out of favour midfielder when we were chasing the game.

All in all, not a great night.
  • The worst of everything tbh. Firstly, we lost. Secondly, 3 players got injured. Thirdly, a lot of players played 120 minutes in an already busy season. Finally, Odubeko not only didn't look very good, but also will have had his confidence shook by being subbed off, despite having fresher legs than those around him, for an out of favour midfielder when we were chasing the game.

While I agree it was perhaps harsh on Odubeko, I think the call Moyes made was the right one

Being thrown into this game was too much too soon, he didn't really know what he was doing out there and given we were chasing the game I think it was a good move as he wasn't in it

Also think how he responds to this can shape his future. Think its widely expected that every footballer, especially young ones, will have their head dropped for one reason or another and it takes a winning mentality to come back stronger

This was a case of too much too soon, so hopefully he uses this as a springboard to improve and not go into his shell
  • https://www.claretandhugh.info/rice-apologises-for-fa-cup-exit/

Anyone else see the typo....
    Now if it was Noble 😜 ( who actually played well IMO )
  • Kinda hard to miss 😅😅😅

Being thrown into this game was too much too soon, he didn't really know what he was doing out there and given we were chasing the game I think it was a good move as he wasn't in it

And this is my problem with Moyes' attitude last month. He's been talking Odubeko up for a little while but has also said that he hasn't really seen enough of him to make a proper judgement. If he had doubts, which last night seemed to justify, then Odubeko should not have been considered a genuine option up front when Moyes made his decision to not bring in a striker.

Yarmolenko is demonstrably not the answer after last night's showing (still laughing at him standing 10 yards offside and berating Rice for not playing him in) and I think the majority of fans suspected this anyway because he's probably even less mobile than Haller.

So if Haller was deemed surplus to requirements, quite how Moyes believed that a player that was just as slow but with less experience and lacking a natural striker's instinct, and a young lad that had never played more than three minutes of men's football and who he had already had doubts about, is genuinely beyond me.
  • I thought the team played well we frustrated an expensively assembled Man Utd team into extra time and if Dawson had gone more on his header at the end could of snuck it. We were unfortunate to lose 3 players to injury i thought the performance showed team spirit that is what i want to see from a West ham team. The difference in the end was they brought on Fernandez and co and the extra legs in midfiled tipped it in their favour. I feel for Odubeko Man Utd away as your first game is one the hardest games in football feel he should be given a break he has n't played at this level or with the team i think subbing was the right thing to do and hopefully he will bounce back.
  • edited February 2021
    OCS, I'm not sure that Moyes deemed Haller surplus to requirements. However, the fact that he offered so little in terms, of among other things, effort, mobility, adaptability meant that he wouldn't be first choice striker. I'm sure Moyes would have preferred him to stay and I don't believe it was his decision to sell him although he probably would have been sold in the summer. The fact that Ajax came in for him when they did forced West Ham to cash in while they could. Having said that, it was obvious by Haller's performances that he did not see any future to the extent that it was clear that he wanted away.
    Just my opinion of course.

On another note, I thought Noble had his best game for a long time, plus a big shout out for Dawson, who looked more comfortable than ever with ball at feet.
  • I wonder if Antonio will still be “fatigued” when it comes to the sheff Utd game?
  • I wonder if Antonio will still be “fatigued” when it comes to the sheff Utd game?

Ex tweeted that Antonio has tight hamstrings and is a doubt for this game - in which case, I don't want him playing.
  • So he is injured then? No surprise the club will try and cover it up by use of the word “fatigue” in order to try and avoid the obvious backlash.
  • Fatigue has gone to tight hamstring which will soon be replaced by torn hamstring
  • edited February 2021
    Seems so to me, Barracks. I think it's a situation where he could play but he'd probably injure himself properly if he did.
  • OCS, I'm not sure that Moyes deemed Haller surplus to requirements. However, the fact that he offered so little in terms, of among other things, effort, mobility, adaptability meant that he wouldn't be first choice striker. I'm sure Moyes would have preferred him to stay and I don't believe it was his decision to sell him although he probably would have been sold in the summer. The fact that Ajax came in for him when they did forced West Ham to cash in while they could. Having said that, it was obvious by Haller's performances that he did not see any future to the extent that it was clear that he wanted away.

Absolutely all about the onions, Bubbles.

I don't think Ajax 'forced' us to sell. We could have said he wasn't available until the summer, like Slavia did with Sima, and told them they would have first refusal then. Yes, it may have meant losing out of £22m, but we did nothing with that money and personally I think we could have got that for him in six months time anyway.

As you say, he didn't offer a great deal to the team in terms of what Moyes wants from a striker, but neither does Yarmolenko, yet he was sold to us by Moyes as adequate cover for Antonio. Again, personally, I'd rather have a slow, immobile striker up front that did actually score some goals rather than a slow, immobile winger who has hardly contributed anything.
  • He may not have totally suited Moyes or West Ham, but Haller would have been head and shoulders above any other option we had yesterday, had he still been around.
  • OCS, "forced" was probably the wrong word, perhaps "persuaded" instead.
    As regards slow, immobile winger, at least Yarmo tries to make an effort.
    But as you say, all about the onions.
  • edited February 2021
    I think it was more of a power play. Haller wasn’t my signing, he was one of the few remaining ‘big money flops’ of the previous regime. He wanted him gone ASAP.

Moyes has regularly referenced past things the owners have done (such as make promises) & I think this was an example of saying ‘I don’t want any random striker on loan, I’ll make the call’. Sully has a track record of bringing in random strikers.

Which is fine, but at least we know now who is accountable. Moyes has admitted he had £30m for a striker in January & decided against bringing one in. So if we now struggle to keep Antonio fit, that will go down as a really poor decision by Moyes.
  • Lukerz said:

Moyes has admitted he had £30m for a striker in January & decided against bringing one in.

He decided against bringing the wrong one in.
  • Moyes has done some fantastic work in his second stint, including player acquisitions

However when it comes to strikers, IMO the jury is still out. For West Ham, he bought Hugill and No-namerz.

He has deemed Yarmo and Mipo as being suitable solutions. Yesterday tells its own story

And then the fatigued one, whilst still contributing to goals in the league is himself struggling to find the net a bit.

Please tell me why even four months of, say, Diego Costa might not have made things even ever so slightly better?

• As regards slow, immobile winger, at least Yarmo tries to make an effort.

I know where you're coming from, but the end result is the same. For me the bottom line is that Haller was a better option than Yarmolenko in Antonio's absence, but it was deemed fine for him to go and for Yarmolenko to be considered a suitable Antonio alternative, which makes zero sense to me.