Other matches 15 -21 January

Comments

• steve said:

What a bore fest ,Glad i surport West Ham

Has Jordan been starting match threads on their forums too?
  • Is it just me or does the ref look a bit like Iniesta?

He does a bit! The last time I saw him he was advertising Ice creams on a poster in Spain
  • Who, the ref?
  • I laid a few bricks earlier and was going to stare at the mortar drying. Wish I had now, it would have been more entertaining. ( I bet this would still be on Match of the day before us)
  • Interesting, Zaha is out injured and I don't dislike Palace as much as usual...
  • Interesting, Zaha is out injured and I don't dislike Palace as much as usual...

Someone here might find that close to blasphemy 🤔🤔🤔😂🤣😂
  • That Gundogan goal was quite good actually.
  • Stones now looking for a perfect hat-trick
  • Great comment from my commentator (Arsenal vs barcodes) “Lacazette thought he saw a leg he could fall over”

Well it made me smile
  • edited January 2021
    chicago, is it you who is an Urchins fan? I know it was one of the stateside Hammers.
  • IronHerb said:

chicago, is it you who is an Urchins fan? I know it was one of the stateside Hammers.

used to watch the urchins and one of their players was my PE teacher and a director taught German at my school

• I only ask as they have just reached the last 16 of the FA Trophy where they are at home to Maidstone. Not bad for a Tier 7 club who can't play league games or train due to covid.
  • Yes indeed, I used to live in Acacia Drive in Upminster which literally runs into Bridge Ave where the stadium is located.

In fact I was over in the Uk last year in Feb just before the lockdown for a mates 60th birthday and we actually went to see them win 0-2 away to Bishops Stortford,

Seems like a lifetime ago, Urchins Urchins :-)
  • Watching Newcastle tonight how the hell did they beat us there a poor side and my money on Bruce for the sack in days
  • edited January 2021
    Villa holding City 0-0 at the Etihad made even funnier by the comms bigging up City as best chance to win the league this season

McGinn challenging Haller for missed sitter of the season

Oh. Silva scores
  • It's such an entertaining game
  • Man City scored what to me should have been called offside. Dean Smith then sent off presumably for protesting. City player was miles offside, Mings controlled a ball with no apparent danger, but the offside City player robbed him leading to the goal.

It may have been correct under today’s laws, but to me it should have been given offside.

But hey it’s Villa who have continued diving.

Peter Walton just said he believed it should have been given offside!
  • Peter Walton now changes his mind due to the letter of the law, so goal should be allowed. But in this case the law is an ass, offside by miles.
  • Another law that defies common sense.
  • Oh dear what a shame poor old Villa =) =) =)
  • John Moss makes correct call.... Dean Smith/ Tyrone Mings don’t know the law... it’s a horrible one and one sure that needs changing, but I’m happy Villa lost
  • Wouldn’t have been an issue if Mings hadn’t dwelt on the ball
  • I reckon he also made the right decision on the penalty as per the law Matty Cash's hand was in an unnatural position even though Steve McManaman thought otherwise.
  • If McManaman thought otherwise then you are on safe ground Fortune.
  • John Moss makes correct call.... Dean Smith/ Tyrone Mings don’t know the law... it’s a horrible one and one sure that needs changing, but I’m happy Villa lost

Agree. Lots of discussion on NBC about the offside decision. Robbie Earle saying that teams will now keep a player in an offside position.
    Everyone is acting like this rule was introduced today.
  • People have to much time on there hands ,Villa lost ,Move on
  • The offside rule in general is pretty useless, as Brian Clough said/woulda said "If you're not interfering with play, why are you on the pitch", I hate the second phase offsides that are allowed now (eg player centrally is walking back to get onside, but is 20 yards offside, long ball played wide from deep for a team mate to run onto, then as long as he's behind the ball he's onside, complete madness).

In this instance though, as the rule stands, it's completely fine. He didn't challenge for the ball in the slightest until Mings deliberately chested it; after that it was fair game and he was correctly adjudged onside.
  • Highly entertaining, seeing the John Terry-like surrounding the ref failing =) Grealish had several ruffled feathers moments too. The wife was wondering why I kept clucking... dislike Villa intensely >:)
  • I think Dean Smith has contested every goal Villa have conceded this season always saying "I don't know what's going on these days". If he read the rules now and again maybe he would be a bit wiser.
  • edited January 2021
    The key to an offside is an advantage gained.

He gained no advantage. Had he not been offside, he would have pressured Mings regardless. He came back from an offside position, Mings needs to deal with it better, he is robbed and the goal is scored. No advantage was gained by City.

By the time he played the ball, he was onside.