Other matches 15 -21 January

Comments

• Dean Smith - wasn’t so up in arms about the goal which wasn’t awarded at sheff Utd last season (which would have relegated them) was he?
  • edited January 2021
    I don't get why they're complaining, it's not as if the rule has suddenly changed. He didn't challenge for the ball, Mings played it and thus Rodri (?) was now onside and was allowed to tackle Mings and win the ball. The rule has been like that for years, I just guess it doesn't happen that often that a player chests the ball which means that although he's played it, he doesn't have instant control of it and so was more easily robbed by a player who then became active. Couldn't happen to a nicer team 😁😁😁
  • It reminded me of the school football matches when we kept a 'goal hanger' chatting to the opposition keeper
  • Going against the grain here, but I can’t see how Rodri doesn’t gain an advantage. I’d read a lot of comments on here and elsewhere before I saw it, saying if Mings had dealt with it it would have been no issue, and assumed he really dallied on the ball or something. But he tries to control it, and as the ball hits the ground off his chest he’s already being tackled. Personally, I think that if that happened to one of our players I’d be livid. I know we all don’t like Dean Smith or whatever, but to me that goal was scandalous.

(It was 100% a penalty for handball though, and his protestations at that made him just seem like a bitter, sore loser and undermined any other complaints he might have had.)
  • It confused me O.o
  • yoyo said:

It confused me O.o

It confused Peter Walton at the time, so if a qualified and experienced ref doesn't understand, then the rest of us have no chance.
  • I didn't see the game so have no idea what any of you are talking about.
  • edited January 2021
    Alderz, I’m not sure gaining advantage has much or anything to do with this instance , Mings plays the ball, as soon as he does it’s fair for City player to try get ball back.
  • Alderz, I’m not sure gaining advantage has much or anything to do with this instance , Mings plays the ball, as soon as he does it’s fair for City player to try get ball back.

This is what it seems to be to me. It *feels* offside when you see it but at one point is Rodri allowed to get back into the game? Is there a time gap, or a certain amount of steps back onside before he's allowed to make the tackle? A chest trap was the luxury option for Mings, he could've cleared it and probably also could've brought it down on his foot. It does feel wrong still but I think the rules favour Rodri.
  • To my mind the decision was correct. Rodri was in an offside position but came back onside but the ball wasn’t played to him. Mines had it and made a mess of it and Rodri then took advantage. If they’re going to rule that once you’ve been in an offside position you can’t get involved then at what point do you. 20/30 seconds or after the ball has gone out of play.
    Rodri didn’t gain an advantage by having been offside but by Mings being a complete numpty.
  • In the past there have been many instances of players sneaking up behind dawdling goalkeepers to pinch the ball off them to score.

Why is this any different?
  • Baracks, in the keepers’ case this approach now leads to a free kick being awarded to the keeper.
  • Agbonlahor has just said on SKY, and Mings has tweeted, that they didn't know the law/rule regarding that 'offside' goal. So lets blame the officials. Nuff said.
  • edited January 2021
    I genuinely cannot see how it can be offside. On that basis, any player who runs offside needs to go and sit on the sidelines until a stoppage in play. I can kinda understand had the play built up & Rodri scored from a pull-back after being 20 yards ahead of the defence, but he did nothing to influence the game & then after a period of time he has to be able to come back onside & engage in the play.

As has been mentioned, Dean Smith seems to have a moan every game they play.
  • Anybody understand what the 'juggling balls' insult is supposed to mean?

I'm so confused...

I'm so confused...

Vision crossed over from his eyes focusing on the juggling balls
  • Dermot Gallagher calls it an unpalatable loophole because the law states that as Mings played the ball he took ownership so Rodri could legally tackle him. If they close this so called loophole would they also stop a player being played onside by a defender’s touch. What if Mings had had the ball and just played it back to the keeper but instead straight to Rodri. Instead of changing the law why not just point out that as soon as a player plays the ball he is “in control” and everyone’s back in play.
    To me the problem all stems from Mings not being properly in control but that was his fault not the law.

I'm so confused...

thought he was referring to John Moss's general refffing in the match b4 the goal, but what do I know...Or Smith for that matter.

I'm so confused...

I assumed it meant he thought he was a 🤡
  • edited January 2021
    There's a WhatsApp transcript going around about what was said I won't post it for language reasons!! If to be believed then he didn't mention juggling balls and he deserved his red card but may well be someone idea of a joke. I dare say some of you will get it in time
  • Smith was yellow carded for saying something to the fourth official. After carding him Moss turned away, back to the game, and within two or three paces turned round and issued the red card. Smith obviously said something else, whether it was the juggling balls comment or something else I don't know.
  • Bit cheeky from Klopp -

"We planned to play with Hendo and Fabinho again but Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood fight with all they have and if they don't get the ball they go down, it is tricky." 🤔
  • You spelt 'hypocritical' wrong
  • My bad. 😂
  • I can't stand Klopp
  • Dont care to much for Burnley either ,Nasty little club
  • 0-0 half time. Kicking off a little at the break. Klop and Dyche having words in the tunnel. Liverpool moaning. "They don't like it up 'em!"
  • Burnley score
  • Burnley win!
  • edited January 2021
    Liverpool lose at home to Burnley, despite the ref playing a whole extra minute of added time over and above what was on the board to help them equalise.