Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• A lot of the problem isn't identifying the players, it's doing the deal once we've decided who we want, and, although I accept there are loads of factors involved any of which can mean a deal doesn't happen, the ability and willingness to pay are still seemingly major obstacles and those negotiations will still undoubtedly involve DS.

Interview was pure fluff imo, effectively saying if the fans don't get behind the board, any problems on the field will be down to the fans.
  • OCS ;ok (Hence my 'some' and 'if' )
  • Macca85 said:

I for one never want him to give another interview ever!!!
    Him and gold need to retire and chill out at there age live in the shadows and let someone else do it!!
    Is Daniel Levy available

As long as its not Terence Brown, Peter Storrie, Gianluca Nani or Angus Kinnear.

We've certainly had our fair share of muppets at this club
  • If Sully can actually delegate to someone it could be the change that we need as for me he has appeared to occupy a role he is not equipped for and has suffered delusions of adequacy along with Brady for too long.
  • It would be a definite step forward in my eyes with those out of the headlines and someone doing a proper pr job for us, because every time lately when they open there mouths it winds me up
  • Not strictly related but I see the new PL TV deal is less than the current by 600million.

Starts in 2019.

I assume that will be all at the expense of the club ask will need to be managed.
  • Still 2 of the 7 packages to be sold, though, I think?
  • True but I think the figures I saw was like for like comparison vs the last deal with Sky & BT...

Not sure how much the remaining games are worth but I assume the English channels are the biggest part of the money... ;hmm
  • Package A - won by BT 32 matches on Saturdays at 12:30

Package B - won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Saturdays at 17:30

Package C - won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Sundays at 14:00 and eight matches on Saturdays at 19:45

Package D - won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Sundays at 16:30

Package E - won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Mondays at 20:00 or Fridays at 19:30/20:00 and eight matches on Sundays at 14:00

Package F - to be decided 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme

Package G - to be decided 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes
  • The interview was fairly standard for sully. His just regurgitated the same stuff over and over for the last 8 years.
  • Posh

Then I can only assume you didn't actually watch it.
  • 1) "we love west ham - we are fans"
    2) "please put your trust in us"
    3) ""things will get better over time"

Pretty much the same as they've been saying since day 1.
  • Also there was all the stuff about acknowledging the stadium isn’t good enough yet, and that the transfer strategy needs to be totally different.
  • 1) "we love west ham - we are fans"
    2) "please put your trust in us"
    3) ""things will get better over time"
    Pretty much what any owner would say, no?

But as alderz points out posh is being very selective (is there an agenda to be fitted here? ;wink ) in his quotes.
  • Board in undermining their own staff example 2,147,589...

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132199
  • edited February 2018
    Just to be accurate, the point at which Gold named him and how much he had cost was after Dyer let the club. So he wasn't actually 'staff.' And I'm not really clear how you can say the comment was 'undermining' him. How exactly?

And if we are honest, we have to acknowledge that Gold was only saying what many many fans said and though at the time ... and still do say and think (just look btl in the kumb article.)

I'm not saying it's right. After all, just because they are entitled to boo give their opinion doesn't mean they should. But are we saying the owners must never express an opinion on past players?

• And given that it was some 7 or 8 years ago, hardly pertinent to today, imo.

• Yes I would say the owners should never express a negative opinion on a player Past or Present in the public domain.

It never benefits WHU for them to do so.
  • Board in undermining their own staff example 2,147,589...

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132199

Or also, West Ham fans abusing own team example 2,167,982

kumb.com/story.php?id=132199

Because, reading that article, nothing was said about Dyer from the owners while he was hear and likewise
    "West Ham fans would say what a waste of money I was. I didn’t score a goal for them in four years and didn’t play four or five games on the trot, ever.

"But you know what? Every time I went out there, they were brilliant with me and I will always remember that. It kills me that they didn’t even see a fraction of what I once was. "
    So....yeah....the owners are just like the supporters of the club in the way they have treated Dyer. Nice to him while he was there and pointing out what a waste he was later...
  • edited February 2018
    "We hope they'll be adopting a more conciliatory tone than previously, but if we don't like their attitude or what they have to say to us we'll get up and walk out."

Irony is alive and well.

;lol
  • West Ham United can today confirm the Club has reached out to the supporter groups represented within the West Ham Groups United to meet to begin constructive dialogue with the Club.
    Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/february/15-february/west-ham-united-statement-dialogue-supporter-groups#c8JyJDXo6fJfYzPh.99
    and
    Spokesman Danny Swallow from West Ham Groups United said: “The supporters of the march have been concerned that the Board were not prepared to listen to the fans’ point of view. By agreeing to meet us those fears have rescinded. We are looking forward to open and constructive talks to the benefit of all West Ham United supporters.”
    Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/february/15-february/west-ham-united-statement-dialogue-supporter-groups#c8JyJDXo6fJfYzPh.99
  • 2 things: I hope all three of them turn up. And no NDAs. Transparency matters.
  • edited February 2018
    Interesting statement from DG on Twitter. Someone posted an accusation that we're going backwards as a club, partly because of the board's poor signings, to which DG replied:

"The manager has the final say on player recruitment. dg"

For me, this is another example of why he should keep away from Twitter. Firstly, because it's a direct response to a criticism levelled at the board, it feels a bit like putting all of the blame on poor signings on the manager. I think that there should be an element of collective responsibility between the manager and board, but this, and some of Sully's statements in the past, have a sense of 'not us, guv' about them.

Secondly, I don't think it's entirely true. I mean, ultimately the recruitment of a player is at the discretion of the board, i.e. are they prepared to buy the player. As an example, I don't think it's fair to say Bilic had the final say on the Carvalho deal. If he had, we'd have signed him. The final say, IMO at least, is that of the chairman and whether he's prepared to meet the player's asking price.

I understand that DG has every right to use Twitter and defend his position, I'm just not convinced it's the best thing for him (he does get a lot of dogs abuse) or for the relationship between the board and the fans.
  • "There's going to be people who think if we meet the Board we're selling out," he added. "But that's not me, Micky [Morgan] or anyone who's living this 24/7. We're in it for the long haul."
    Read more at http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132204#AcyAozDpV2FZoRLE.99
  • I agree. Particularly when he retweeted an expletive-ridden rant against the march and the objectives of the RWHFAG. Regardless of your point-of-view that's unacceptable.
  • OCS

I don't think DG is trying to apportion blame. I think he is simply stating the facts: the board give the manager the final say so when it comes to signings.

So, if the manager says no, a players doesn't come.

It's not the same as saying he gets everyone he wants, just that he never gets a player landed on him.
  • edited February 2018

OCS

I don't think DG is trying to apportion blame. I think he is simply stating the facts: the board give the manager the final say so when it comes to signings.

So, if the manager says no, a players doesn't come.

It's not the same as saying he gets everyone he wants, just that he never gets a player landed on him.

Fair enough Grey, but in the context of the conversation, i.e. the board have made poor signings, his response of 'the manager has the final say' suggests to me that he is apportioning blame. He could have just said, 'I appreciate some of our signings haven't worked out'.

But that's kind of my point. I understand why some of his responses are emotive; mine probably would be if I was faced with almost constant grief from disaffected fans, but then I would remove myself from that situation and deactivate my account.

Also, I don't actually believe the manager has the final say so. Pretty sure Sully is on record as saying that before they sign a player, he, the manager and Tony Henry (as was) have to all agree. This may change under Sully's newly delegated transfer policy, so I guess we'll find out in the summer.