ANDERLECT (A) THURS OCT 6TH

Wolves beaten like i promished you,3 points in the bag ,This match thread is a peace of cake should have done it years ago might of won a cup or two.Anyway next up a nice little trip to Belgium ,Win this and it pretty much wins the group .Those of you who are to young to remember 1976 and those to old to remember what they had for breakfest .We lost 4-2 in the cup winners cup to them .So revenge is on the cards .Having said that think i would take a draw .Does Scamacca or Antonio start this one ,Would like to see Benny get a game ,But whatever Steve wins games for you thats what he does .By the way 12-45 pm kick off i think so make a note .Up the Hammers

Comments

• No words.
  • No idea why, but I read that in the voice of Dave Angel from The Fast Show.
  • @steve, keep up the good work. =) Can you check the kick off time as I believe it's 17.45?
  • Depends where Steve is. It’s 17.45 here in the UK
  • thorn, Very good point, hadn't thought about that. =)
  • Sorry ya 12-45 here in canada .
  • In my defence i did have some wine it helps me write at lest i thought it did =)
  • Win.

Reckon the team’ll be something like this:
    Areola; Johnson Dawson Ogbonna Emerson; Downes Rice/Soucek; Fornals Lanzini Benrahma; Antonio

Wouldn’t shock me if Paqueta played again, the more he plays with the team the more he’ll settle in.

Convenient timing for me in Greece @ 19.45.
    Lessons over, wine decanted...
  • steve said:

Sorry ya 12-45 here in canada .

Whereabouts in Canada? I was in BC earlier this year and fell in love with the country.
  • Other side OCS in Ontario .Glad you liked it.Best move i made in 83 to come here from Uk

Well it's dashed bad show using Johnny Foreigner times =)
  • I'm off to this one and can travel relaxed in the knowledge that Steve opened the thread, so the win is inevitable. COYI
  • edited October 2022
    Imagine it will be a second 11, so based on our current squad (I’d go with Cornet over Lanzini if he’s fit):

Areola
    Coufal - Dawson - Ogbonna - Emerson
    Downes - Rice
    Fornals - Lanzini - Benrahma
    Antonio
  • No idea why, but I read that in the voice of Dave Angel from The Fast Show.

Moonlight Shadow playing in the background.
  • What is evident is due to our new additions our second side is still pretty strong.
    I would very much like to see Downes with a start.
  • Long time to wait for revenge.
    I was at Heysal for that match and still bear the mental scars.
  • edited October 2022
    Anderlecht aren't having a great season, they just lost 1-0 at home to Charleroi and are currently 10th (P10 W4 D1 L5 GF16 GA 11)

They play 3-5-2 and there will be a familiar face leading the line. Their top scorer with 4 goals is Fabio Silva, Wolves record signing (£35m July 2020) and David Luiz's Portuguese U21 lovechild, currently on a season long loan.

So the key threat is a player who wasn't considered good enough for the Premier League by the club we just beat 2-0.

Looking forward to Thursday, my day off, a visit with Old Mother shrugged in deepest, darkest Dagenham followed by 3 points in Europe
  • steve said:

Other side OCS in Ontario .Glad you liked it.Best move i made in 83 to come here from Uk

I lived in downtown Toronto for 5 years (99 - 05). Loved it there.
    But now that I live in Florida I can’t go back to doing winters.
  • MIA ,i hear you we live 2 hours north of Toronto so you can guess what our winters are like .do feel i might be getting to old for the cold
  • Been Googling around the Belgian websites and apparently 13 points after 10 matches is Anderlecht's joint third worst start to the season.

In 1997/98 they were on 13pts after 10, Rene Vandereycken was sacked 3 days later
    in 1999/99 they were on 11pts after 10, Arie Haan was sacked 6 days later
    In 2019/20 they were on 9pts after 10, Simon Davies was sacked 9 days later

Will Felice Mazzu still be there Thursday?
  • Been Googling around the Belgian websites and apparently 13 points after 10 matches is Anderlecht's joint third worst start to the season.

In 1997/98 they were on 13pts after 10, Rene Vandereycken was sacked 3 days later

Simon Davies sticks out like a sore thumb in that list.

Likely to be there Thursday. Let's hope he's not on Friday. 😉
  • alderz said:

Simon Davies sticks out like a sore thumb in that list.

Anderlecht's first Welsh manager. Lasted 42 days.

Maybe it was a language problem...

He wasn't sacked, he was demoted to Assistant Manager and they hired Franky Vercauteren as boss. Can't have been a happy working relationship as he only stayed for another 4 months. He's now Head of Coaching Methodology with the Spurs academy.

Just noticed that Mazzu has only been in the job since 24 June, replaced Vincent Kompany who quit to take up the Burnley job taking Josh Cullen with him

Part of Anderlecht's problems could be due to the number of players who were regular starters last season that have left. Apart from Cullen and LB Sergio Gomez (Man City) there were three loan players who've gone back to their club plus 41 cap Swedish international DM/CM Kristoffer Olsson who for some reason has been allowed to leave on a season long loan to Midtjylland (with an option to buy)
  • ASLEF, So are you saying we should win?
  • ASLEF, So are you saying we should win?

A team where last season's manager left to take over a Championship side, half of the starting XI left in the summer and the Belgian press are predicting the new manager is toast?

The omens are good...
  • West Ham: Hold my beer! Hahaha
  • Another familiar face, Jan Vertongen joined Anderlecht on deadline day
  • Apparently Cornet missing from training this morning, Bowen had his fingers strapped