Spurs (H) - 31 August

Nice that the boos at the end of the game weren't for Moyes or the team this weekend, so with Gerrard dealt with, we need to show up against Spurs.

Some promising signs in that second half - let's hope we can do it from the beginning on Wednesday. Excited for this one.

Comments

• Benrahma has to play, imo.

I’m curious as to whether Moyes goes with the 3 again.
  • The key to this is to not let Spuds get a foothold early on, need to get in their faces from the off.
  • edited August 2022
    Fabianski
    Kehrer - Zouma - Cresswell
    Coufal - Rice - Soucek - Emerson
    Benrahma
    Scamacca - Antonio
  • Lukerz, I like that, although I'd also like to see Cornet in there as well - do you think the ref would notice ;)
  • Moyes said cressie has a slight hamstring pull
  • After such a drab, negative first half yesterday I don't think Moyes will play with a back three again, especially at home

Spurs has a fairly settled side with nine players starting all four games

RCB Romero has missed the last two games with an adductor muscle and Sanchez has been filling in. Perisic has been preferred to Sessegnon at LWB for the last two games.

They've got Fulham at home on Saturday and Marseille in the Champions League on Wednesday so I reckon they'd be more likely to rest players at the weekend

Son has been out of form and has been subbed three games in a row so it wouldn't be a surprise if Richarlison was handed his first start against us or Fulham.
  • I think the back 5 could be right for big games, against teams that are going to attack us and so maybe he’ll use it here. It could be useful on the counter attack. But yeah, if it goes like yesterday then it might not go down well.
  • I also think Richarlison will start
    But be sent off as well
  • Conte held a pre-match press conference today

Romero and Skipp both trained today but uncertain whether they will be fit enough for Wednesday

Lucas Moura is out with an inflamed tendon, Bryan Gil is close but "not available"
  • Maybe Moyes will start with one system, change at half time, and try a third in the last ten minutes... =)
  • I want Outcast to be able to start the next match thread =)
  • Fabianski
    Coufal - Kehrer - Zouma - Emerson
    Bowen - Rice - Paqueta - Benrahma
    Scamacca - Antonio

Spurs are most dangerous on the break and Son is overdue a goal. They weren't great and played quite deep against Forest. Must be careful not to get caught too high but if we press hard and can put away our chances 3 points are there for the taking. COYI.
  • I can't see a world in which we play a 4-4-2, and if we ever did play a 4-4-2, I would be amazed if all of Emerson, Bowen, Paqueta, Benrahma, Scamacca and Antonio played together.

I would expect us to line up as:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Kehrer - Cresswell
    Bowen - Rice - Soucek - Fornals
    Benrahma
    Antonio

Bench: Areola - Ashby - Ogbonna - Emerson - Coventry - Paqueta - Lanzini - Cornet - Scamacca.

I'd be amazed if Paqueta starts after being here two days, but I think he comes on midway through the second half. Benrahma deserves to start after changing the game on Sunday. Antonio has a great record against Spurs. Their ability on the break means we will try to be compact, and hit them on the counter attack ourselves.
  • Conte has confirmed Richarlison starts this one
    Likely in for Son
  • A lot depends on Cresswell. Moyes said he has a knock & is a doubt. If not fit, I can’t see Emerson playing in a back four. Is Oggy fit enough yet? Can Kehrer play at LB? Do we go with a back 3?

Fabianski
    Kehrer - Zouma - Ogbonna
    Coufal - Rice - Soucek - Fornals - Emerson
    Benrahma
    Antonio

Would be my predicted 11 if Cresswell/Johnson out.
  • Note to myself, strongly resist making the same 'Son' joke as I did the other day

#Breathe
  • Kehrer can play left back - he's done it a lot for Germany, but I think Emerson will be the left back for us in Cresswell's absence. I can't see us going into a season with only 1 genuine LB option. I think Emerson is seen as a LB / LWB option, personally.
  • edited August 2022
    So Moyes could go with Fornals on the left to support Emerson in a back four, so maybe the usual team on Wednesday.

Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Kehrer - Emerson
    Rice - Soucek
    Bowen - Benrahma - Fornals
    Antonio
  • Bowen’s going to need to start producing, though. Sitting there with Scamacca, Cornet, Paqueta on the bench he can’t afford to keep not producing.
  • Lukerz said:

Bowen’s going to need to start producing, though. Sitting there with Scamacca, Cornet, Paqueta on the bench he can’t afford to keep not producing.

Which is exactly the point of a strong squad. We got lucky really last season that he and Rice had good and consistent seasons. If Bowen showed this form last year it was either Yarmolenko or Fredericks coming in.

One assumes Benny will start this one, so maybe Cornet should be given a run out on the right; Bowen will, you assume, play himself into form eventually, but how long do we give him?
  • Bowen actually didn't start last season too well either. He missed massive chances in something like the first 5 games (I can't remember how many exactly). I guess the difference was that he was getting into good positions but still, his first few games were a long way off what he gave us for the rest of the season.

But now that we have the option to give him competition, we should.
  • Bowen is the big question mark for me in this. He's badly out of form, and also seems to have lost some pace too. But my guess is Moyes will stick with him for at least this one, although Cornet is definitely a live option for me.

Especially if Cresswell is a doubt, I think we'll revert to a 4-2-3-1; I don't think Ogbonna is ready to be starting in the PL just yet as I think Moyes said that even the game against Viborg was too soon than was ideal for him and he's still 3 or 4 weeks away. I think we'll see the side Lukerz posted above.
  • edited August 2022
    Ravel49 said:

Conte has confirmed Richarlison starts this one
    Likely in for Son

Not quite. Yesterday Conte said
    Every time he's playing, for 20 to 30 minutes, he's playing very well. For sure in the next games you will see him in the starting XI.
    but when asked if that meant Richarlson would start tomorrow Conte said
    No I didn't say this. I said probably in the future you can see in the starting XI Richarlison. Then if the game against West Ham, Fulham or Marseille. Then I have to decide.
    I think its a "Lost in Translation" moment
  • 👍🏻

I still think he will start
  • Typical Moyes press conference, absolutely no hint on whether anyone is unavailable
  • Not sure if it's been mentioned, the game is on BT sports channel 2
  • From Moyes presser earlier -

“I always see the wins coming, it’s getting them that’s the hard bit".

Perhaps he previously meant to say - "That's what I do: I see wins"

🤔
  • Anthony Taylor is our ref tomorrow. 😬
  • IronHerb, Hasn't he given a penalty against us in his last two visits to the London Stadium?