Norwich away Sunday 8th 14:00 post Europe hangover

I hope we play some of the youth and should win, who knows atm, COYI

Comments

• Same team for me .Fall off a bike you get stright back on ,They need to get it out of there system .At lest Cressie should be well rested
  • Lawrp has it down as a drawn so some positive news ahead of the game
  • I feel flat....can only imagine how the players feel

At least Cresswell will be fresh
  • Going to be difficult to see any motivation for this game. Reckon this could be one of those "already relegated but put in an insane performance" type games from Norwich to give them hope in the Championship.
  • The motivation should be simple. If, as they seem to be saying, they want European football next season, they need to secure 7th as a minimum. With City and Brighton coming up, we need three points against Norwich.

No time for feeling hard done by or sorry for themselves; they have to pick themselves up and get the job done.
  • I think they will, too
  • edited May 2022
    Areola
    Johnson - Zouma - Diop - Cresswell
    Fornals - Rice - Lanzini
    Bowen - Antonio - Benrahma

Feel a little shake up is needed looking ahead to next season.
  • edited May 2022
    You'd drop Dawson and still play Cresswell? I think his confidence will be shot. I'd rather see Coufal at RB and Johnson at LB.
  • Dawson has played a lot of games this season & I feel, given his age, it would be worth seeing what Diop can offer at the end of the season.
  • Cresswell has to play. He was stupid but you don't want to make him feel punished.

I wouldn't really change much. Maybe Johnson in as he's looking more like the future RB than Coufal right now.

I thought Antonio did a lot right - not just his hold up but some of his runs were really smart and others failed to pick up him out. He could do well in this game and it would be nice for him to end the season well if possible.

I'd bring Benrahma in for Lanzini and that's probably it for me. We need this win.
  • Lukerz said:

Dawson has played a lot of games this season & I feel, given his age, it would be worth seeing what Diop can offer at the end of the season.

Not in a must win game. No way. Moyes is already under scrutiny from some because of January and his in-game management; dropping HOTY contender Dawson for Diop would be a hell of a risk.
  • People are talking as if we have options to rotate.

It'll be:

Fabianksi
    Coufal Dawson Zouma Cresswell
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Lanzini Fornals
    Antonio
  • I do wonder if Vlasic will appear before the end of the season. He's barely played this month despite being on the bench and quite a bit of rotation in the team.
  • Didn't even get on the pitch last night when we desperately needed two goals.

He needs a run as a No10, but can't see him ever getting it.
  • edited May 2022
    I wonder if he was not a Moyes signing at all, thus we don't see much of him
  • I don't think we should experiment at all, European football is still at stake. I'm sure our strongest 11 can manage 3 more games
  • This is virtually a must win game so no messing about with the team.
  • edited May 2022

Cresswell has to play. He was stupid but you don't want to make him feel punished.

Why not? Does he have to be wrapped in a nice cuddly duvet and pampered and told "there, there, don't cry".
    What he did last night was (almost) criminal. He messed things up for the 2nd time in 3 weeks and we have to just let it go?
    Logically, it would have been better for him not to have fouled the EF player and if he scores, he scores, at least we'd still have 11 on the pitch.
    Sorry, but I've no sympathy for him at all, and I don't care about all his previous performances.
    Probably the biggest game we've been involved in in 40 odd years (relegation games excluded) and he's just thrown it away.
  • edited May 2022
    To be honest i dont blame cressie to much these things happen and i think he has been a great servent for us .Also where was Dawson and zouma no where to be seen .
  • 'The dream is over, what can I say?
    The dream is over, it was yesterday....
    And so my friends, you'll just have to carry on...'
    Seems to apply to me, us, and the team we love.
    COYI!
  • This is virtually a must win game so no messing about with the team.

The team that hasn’t won for about a month?
  • I see Benrahma & Antonio have created 29 goals/assists as a pair, one less than the leaders Son & Kane.
  • edited May 2022

Cresswell has to play. He was stupid but you don't want to make him feel punished.

Why not? Does he have to be wrapped in a nice cuddly duvet and pampered and told "there, there, don't cry".
    What he did last night was (almost) criminal. He messed things up for the 2nd time in 3 weeks and we have to just let it go?
    Logically, it would have been better for him not to have fouled the EF player and if he scores, he scores, at least we'd still have 11 on the pitch.
    Sorry, but I've no sympathy for him at all, and I don't care about all his previous performances.
    Probably the biggest game we've been involved in in 40 odd years (relegation games excluded) and he's just thrown it away.
    steve said:

To be honest i dont blame cressie to much these things happen and i think he has been a great servent for us .Also where was Dawson and zouma no where to be seen .

I think I'm somewhere in between.

Yes, Dawson and Zouma were out of sight, but neither were responsible for the foul. That was solely on Cresswell's poor positioning, poor attempt at cutting the ball out and terrible decision to drag his man down.

I accept that mistakes happen, but he made the same mistake twice in three games. There is no excuse for not learning from the Lyon game to not get handsy with the last man. Whatever way people want to spin it, his actions effectively cost us that game and, ultimately, the tie.

That said, I think it would be harsh to punish him just for that act. It was brainless and entirely avoidable, but not a deliberate attempt to sabotage the game.

However, and let's be honest, he's made plenty of other defensive mistakes this season; for example, he often fails to track his man on the back post which has resulted in at least two goals this season. IMO, he only plays regularly because a) his perceived final third ability masks his defensive frailties and b) he has had zero competition.

His performances across the last two season have been an improvement on the previous two or three, but he isn't a top six quality full back, and if we want to regularly challenge for Europe, we need an upgrade on Cresswell.
  • Lukerz said:

The team that hasn’t won for about a month?

Do you mean Norwich? Last won at home to Burnley 10th April and lost all three since then?

Moyes will pick pretty much the same XI, after Thursday they need a boost and thankfully Norwich are leaky, averaging 2 goals every home game.
  • edited May 2022
    What I’d like to see:
    Areola
    Coufal - Dawson - Diop - Cresswell
    Noble - Rice - Lanzini
    Vlasic - Bowen - Benrahma

Imo it’s time for Noble to play. It gives Soucek a bit of a rest and also if we are going to play Noble in a PL game, Norwich would have a slightly slower pace to it so it makes sense.

Would like to see Vlasic play too to freshen things up.

This team should ooze quality on the ball and we should be able to dictate possession and the tempo of the game. In an ideal world I’d love to rest Bowen and Rice too but I think we still need to treat Norwich with respect as anyone can beat anyone in the PL.
  • Even after Thursdays disappointment we still have a lot left to play for this season. A lot of next season is dependant on the last few games this season.

It's not the time for kids or mass changes. Dropping Dawson just isn't an option for me.
    The usual line up with perhaps Benrahma for Lanzini.

COYI
  • steve said:

Blame everyone except the culprit? That works.
    Cresswell doesn't need to be crucified but he made the telling mistake.

We move on, together.
  • Yep a nice performance & win tomorrow will do nicely. I think a loss for Wolves today & win tomorrow will seal 7th.
  • Not necessarily Lukerz that would give us a 6 point gap but they’d have 3 games to play against our 2 so 7 for them and none for us would pip us. Unlikely but knowing our luck far from impossible.
    Let’s win tomorrow first though.
  • There's actually a few teams that could catch us. Leicester are down in 14th but could conceivably pass us if we don't get a win in the next three.

We're likely to get nothing from City, and we never beat Brighton, so Norwich is actually a massive game for us now.