Olympique Lyonnais (away) Thursday 14th April 8pm BT Sport 1

Lyon drew 1-1 away at Strasbourg yesterday with an injury time equaliser. GK Anthony Lopes went off injured after 30 minutes and was seen leaving on crutches so probably unavailable for Thursday

OL's backup keeper is Julian Pollersbeck (Germany U21, 51 appearances for Hamburg SV, Bundesliga/Bundesliga 2 2017 - 20)

Reckon we've got a good chance if we can keep 11 men on the pitch

Comments

• If it's Diop and Dawson I fear for us. If Zouma is back, every chance we can get through this.

I'm going 1-1 and West Ham win on penalties.
  • I saw online some rumours that Aouar and Ndombele picked up injuries yesterday too. If that’s true it’s really big.
  • We desperately need Zouma to play. 0-2. A goal from a corner and a breakaway goal when they're pushing forward at the end.
  • alderz said:

I saw online some rumours that Aouar and Ndombele picked up injuries yesterday too. If that’s true it’s really big.

Aouar went off with a knee, Ndombele with a thigh according to L'Equippe

Oh dear. how sad...

Zouma having a scan today
  • C&H say Zouma is unlikely to play as he is in a protective boot & on crutches.
  • Lukerz said:

C&H say Zouma is unlikely to play as he is in a protective boot & on crutches.

Huge loss if that's the case.
  • The French didn't look mustard last time, more mayonnaise than Lyonnais. There, I said it. Just needed to get the word mayonnaise out of my head
  • Dembele rinsing Diop is going to be comical. Can see it now, Diop 5 yards in front of the rest of the defence missing numerous headers then on a foot race with Dembele.
  • Diop always looks to me as though we are introducing one of the academy players.

I say this because he looks not just as though he is still in development regard ability but that he lacks experience. I could completely understand his performances from a player gaining his first experience of playing in the first eleven. He has made 94 appearances for the club however.
  • We broke our transfer record to sign him.
  • Cue MOM performance from Diop.
  • In the past Diop has been linked with moves to Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and he allegedly turned down Man City to join us. There were plenty on here who hailed him as our centre back of the future

Maybe he played better under Pellegrini than he does under Moyes
  • Maybe we keep looking for scapegoats.
  • IronHerb said:

Maybe we keep looking for scapegoats.

can scapegoats play LB ?
  • Slacker said:

Cue MOM performance from Diop.

I do hope so, I really do.

I guess he may need Ogbonna or Zouma alongside him and he may not look as bad. maybe their next level ability allows them to co-ordinate with him so he doesn't get so exposed.

If he is playing on Thursday I think Rice needs sit deeper to protect him.
  • I've said it before and will say it again, but Diop looks a different player when he plays on the right. Zouma seems comfortable playing either side, Ogbonna can only play left, Dawson and Diop can only play right.
  • Swiss ref appointed for the game who we had in last 16 tie away to Sevilla in a 1-0 loss : Sandro Scharer.
  • edited April 2022
    Areola
    Fredericks - Dawson - Diop - Johnson
    Soucek - Rice - Lanzini
    Bowen - Antonio - Fornals

If we’re really struggling then Fornals can fill in as a LWB & Johnson can make a 3.
  • That'll do.

COYI
  • That back four is a worry. I think I'd go with Coufal over Fredericks.

I really hope the Zouma rumours are nothing but mind games.
  • Disaster
  • edited April 2022
    Yeah, not good. Don’t fancy us now.

So frustrating. He’s the one player we couldn’t afford to miss other than Rice, especially with Cresswell out.
  • I wonder if we should try and be creative with this problem and possibly consider A back three with Rice, Dawson and Diop or just play Rice alongside Dawson and ask Noble to play alongside Soucek. I just think the pairing of Dawson and Diop is going to get pulled apart all night.
  • Even if we get through, it he’s out longer term, we won’t have much of a chance in the semis.
  • So we are literally playing Lyon with:

Fredericks - Dawson - Diop - Johnson

Instead of:

Coufal - Zouma - Ogbonna - Cresswell
  • I think there’s a really good chance Moyes uses Rice as a CB in this game.
  • I wonder if we should try and be creative with this problem and possibly consider A back three with Rice, Dawson and Diop or just play Rice alongside Dawson and ask Noble to play alongside Soucek. I just think the pairing of Dawson and Diop is going to get pulled apart all night.

Rice at CB is a great shout. I'd be a thousand times more comfortable with him there over Diop.

That said, Noble and Soucek as a midfield two doesn't fill me with confidence. Zero pace and ball carrying ability. Maybe a 4-3-3 with Lanzini in the middle.
  • That statement by the club seems to imply he might be out for sometime if it was just one game why say speedy recovery in fact why say anything at all