West Ham vs Lyon (H) Thusday 20:00 KO

With Everton dispatched and the return of Jarrod Bowen to the West Ham starting line up.

West Ham turns its attention back to the continent of Europe and look to tackle its next opponent from the region. The French heavyweights of Olympique Lyon being their visit to the London Stadium as West Ham look to bid for a place in the Semi-Finals of the Europa League.

Will Coufal be available or Ben Johnson return for the first leg.

Its another big night under the lights at the London Stadium. Will history be made?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Coufal or Johnson instead of Fredericks .Coufal wont be match fit so Johnson for me but great to have Coufal on the bench rest of the team picks itself
  • Lyon are 9th in their league.

Nothing to be fearful of.
  • edited April 2022
    Areola; Johnson Dawson Zouma Cresswell; Soucek Rice; Bowen Benrahma Fornals; Antonio

EDIT; I took out Lanzini for Fornals as Steve reminded me he’s suspended.
  • Lanzini is suspended
  • Moyes said Johnson felt his hamsting after Englands game under 23 i think
  • Fornals in for Lanzini, but alderz's team is spot on.
  • Lukerz said:

Lyon are 9th in their league.

Nothing to be fearful of.

It hasn't been a good season for Lyon, they've already lost more games (8) than they did in the whole of last season (6).

Rudi Garcia quit at the end of last season because Lyon finished 4th and missed out on the Champions League. He was replaced by Peter Bosz who had been sacked by Bayer Leverkusen in March.

Top scorer Memphis Depay left for Barcelona on a free. He's been replaced by ex-Celtic and Fulham Moussa Dembele (scored two yesterday, total 13 goals in 26)

Bosz's three big summer signings haven't been a dazzling success, LB Emerson Palmieri - on loan from Chelsea - seems to have settled in nicely but Xherdan Shaqiri joined from Liverpool then left for Chicago Fire after just 170 days.

Ex-Bayern Munich CB Jerome Boateng has caused friction in the dressing room, managed to pick a fight with Bruno Guimaraes before he went to Newcastle and was absent from the squad for a month until yesterday (lasted 70 minutes before being subbed)

They got Lyon fans' favourite Tanguy Ndombele on loan from Spurs to replace Guimaraes but Lyon are definitely having a "transition" season
  • edited April 2022
    I think this is a tactical challenge for Moyes. I consider him a cautious tactician, which showed again yesterday in as much as when we came out for the second half we had less intent to push Everton back, until they scored. He has shown it against all teams he feels are stronger than us, against Liverpool and Chelsea we only came alive when soaking up the pressure didn't work and we went behind. When we did and took the game to them we held our own very well and caused problems.

So his instinct may be too cautious, not because he considers Lyon stronger than us but due to the magnitude of the match and what's at stake, which may play into Lyon's hands as they may be happy to simply try and not concede as we did against Sevilla in the first leg. In my view we must have at least a goal lead to take into the second leg. This also gives us a better chance in the second leg as they will have to come onto us which allows our counter through Antonio and Bowen.

The main thing is Dec must not get a yellow. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and make sure he gets one by making a real meal of any tackle.
  • Don't know why but i am bit worried about this game, think we have been doing so well that when people start thinking we have a good chance that's when West Ham wheels usually come off maybe its the years of disappointments. I think Lyon like to play on the counter so we will need to be patient tomorrow night.
  • edited April 2022
    I think Lyon have a problem.

On Sunday CB Jerome Boateng started for the first time since 5 February and from the few reports I have been able to translate he was so poor that he was subbed after 70 minutes.

During Boateng's 2 month absence DM Thiago Mendes had been playing as a makeshift CB due to a self inflicted CB shortage (three senior CBs have left this season plus injuries).

The other CB is 19yo Castello Lukeba who only made his first team debut this season

So give Boateng another chance or revert to playing Mendes out of position?
  • Don't know why but i am bit worried about this game, think we have been doing so well that when people start thinking we have a good chance that's when West Ham wheels usually come off maybe its the years of disappointments. I think Lyon like to play on the counter so we will need to be patient tomorrow night.

I think the main thing that worries me about this game is that they have a Spurs player, and wouldn’t it just be typical
  • alderz said:

I think the main thing that worries me about this game is that they have a Spurs player, and wouldn’t it just be typical

But the good thing is that we don't.
  • Lyon v Angers

Some very dodgy defending, just begging for a Cresswell cross

• Areola
    Johnson - Dawson - Zouma - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Bowen - Fornals - Benrahma
    Antonio
  • Asked about injuries today Moyes said he was "still not totally convinced" Coufal is 100% fit and Johnson has "trained so I'm hoping he'll be okay."
  • Anyone else buzzing for this??
  • Match day ,Bring it on
  • The nearer we get to the possibility of playing Barcelona, the more nervous I get, and the more I have to pinch myself that it is a real possibility. The prize is fantastic but the stress is even worse 🤪

Yes. Me. Gearing up for a 3am kick off.. 🤩
  • So excited I am barely going to be able to concentrate on 7 hours of the Masters between now and kick off.

Oh yes.

• buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Buzzing with excitement yet stomach churning as I would love this cup soooo much
  • yoyo said:

Buzzing with excitement yet stomach churning as I would love this cup soooo much

Snap
  • Buzzing here too, just getting ready to leave home for the drive up, don't want to be late..
  • 3 pm my time. Fortunately I am still working from home 😀. The bad news is the moronic commentary on the Golazo! show 🙁.
  • Tough one to call but I believe we will win tonight. On my way. COYI
  • Always a different challenge with the first leg at home. It will be interesting to see how we approach it.

I’m excited/terrified.
  • Dad, dad,dad are we there yet?!