West Ham vs Lyon (H) Thusday 20:00 KO

14567810»

Comments

• Pitch invaders are idiots at anytime of the game but the 2nd one! My God! I must apologise to my neighbours for my outburst at the TV. I hope some Hammers supporting coppers gave him some right 70's style hospitality down at the nick
  • Slacker said:

I like Fornals.

But he's done nothing in the game.

Is that the same Fornals who made our goal, that Fornals?

Well, yeah, but I made my comment at half time. When Fornals had done nothing.

If Benrahma was still on the pitch instead of Fornals what's to say he wouldn't have got the assist?
  • Yeah, and if me granny........
  • Keep making those comments and predictions OCS you’re gonna be needed for the run in.
  • yoyo said:

Pitch invaders are idiots at anytime of the game but the 2nd one! My God! I must apologise to my neighbours for my outburst at the TV. I hope some Hammers supporting coppers gave him some right 70's style hospitality down at the nick

The second one has been named and shamed on Twitter so he'll be keeping a low profile for a while I reckon.
  • The 2nd one got carted out near me and he was having drinks thrown at him amongst other things I felt sorry for the poor stewards .
  • alderz said:

One of the problems with the Red card is the perception of it not being a “clear & obvious error” as on any day of the week it is. ☹️

I think VAR is a really great tool that has been completely set up to fail by decision makers. 'Clear and obvious' is really problematic wording, as it means something different to every person interpreting it in each situation. There absolutely must be better ways to operate it than what we have now.

My personal preference is to have maybe 3 officials watching in VAR, and for every incident they currently look at they vote on what the decision should be. If they all disagree with the on field call, then it gets overruled, if it's 2-1 against the referee, they go to the monitor, and anything else you just carry on.
    In theory I would agree with you but practically that is a big increase in available high end officials. I just think this 'clear and obvious' error tag needs correcting to just 'possible' error. This wouldn't cause too many more monitor reviews as it's still only goals and red cards, although I would include second yellows also.

I love VAR even though it's not perfect, as I don't mind losing to a deserved goal and I don't mind missing out from an undeserved one that we score, I am hoping season by season it's use will improve. It does seem to be slowly doing so.

• edited April 2022

The 2nd one got carted out near me and he was having drinks thrown at him amongst other things I felt sorry for the poor stewards .

Air horns, too

• alderz said:

One of the problems with the Red card is the perception of it not being a “clear & obvious error” as on any day of the week it is. ☹️

I think VAR is a really great tool that has been completely set up to fail by decision makers. 'Clear and obvious' is really problematic wording, as it means something different to every person interpreting it in each situation. There absolutely must be better ways to operate it than what we have now.

My personal preference is to have maybe 3 officials watching in VAR, and for every incident they currently look at they vote on what the decision should be. If they all disagree with the on field call, then it gets overruled, if it's 2-1 against the referee, they go to the monitor, and anything else you just carry on.
    In theory I would agree with you but practically that is a big increase in available high end officials. I just think this 'clear and obvious' error tag needs correcting to just 'possible' error. This wouldn't cause too many more monitor reviews as it's still only goals and red cards, although I would include second yellows also.

I love VAR even though it's not perfect, as I don't mind losing to a deserved goal and I don't mind missing out from an undeserved one that we score, I am hoping season by season it's use will improve. It does seem to be slowly doing so.

In some respects it is, but in UEFA and FIFA tournaments they use 4 VAR already, so it wouldn't be a change for international competition.

Also, I don't really see why we need assistant referees anymore. Their job is literally to flag offsides after the event, and then it's checked anyway. Maybe just repurpose their job to be VAR assistants?
  • From twitter -

If this lad had made exactly the same run from the same position in first half injury time he could have prevented the red card happening and changed the game.
    People go on about refs being poor but it's time to start focusing on the shocking tactical awareness of pitch invaders

😁
  • What commitment to the club from Antonio however, it appears from that picture he was also helping steward the match as well.
  • Watched the match again in cold blood. The ref really was shocking. Lyon players hit the grass 13 times in the first half, and got 10 favourable decisions. West Ham had 5 (three Antonio) and one favourable decision. Lyon ended with another burst of falling over when they couldn't break us down.
    23 altogether, winning the favourable decision battle 15-5. Gives conspiracy theorists lots to work with.
  • edited April 2022
    Top statting.
  • MrsGrey said:

Top statting.

But .................... has it been verified by Alderz =)