American Election Discussion

Comments

• I can't see how you took from the Brexit thread the idea that people in the UK want to get rid of the NHS. I really can't. ;puzzled

I have, though, seen people complaining about the increasing move AWAY from govt-run heathlcare to increasing privatisation.

• edited March 2017
    simonc said:

As an fyi people were not dying in the street before Obama care & they wont be after,

Does it matter were they died? No.

What matters is that they did.

• edited March 2017
    For a first world country Americas view on health care is appalling.

People have to choose whether to pay their mortgages and utility bills or pay for their cancer drugs (for example). This is, imho, unacceptable.

• many of the plans over here are actually catastrophic plans, they have very high deductibles so the insurance will kick in if you get cancer but essentially you are paying for every in growing toe nail on your own.

The biggest issue over is not the provision of care but the cost of care at delivery, the bill you are landed with for an overnight stay in hospital runs into thousands, the initial bill for having an appendix out can be up to $60,000, even a ride in an ambulance can end up costing you two or three thousand.

The initial bill is huge, if you have insurance it is then heavily discounted and you may be on the hook for a 20% co pay of the discounted rate, if you have no insurance the "bill, or debt" you are landed with is far higher than the bill that is actually sent to the insurance companies for settlement.

I truly do not understand it, surely the cost of applying a plaster cast should be simply X irrespective of what insurance you carry.

The sad part is that the highest cause of bankruptcy amongst the elderly is due to health costs.
  • Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free (Unless you don't have health insurance, in which case, get back on the boat)
  • Derp Trump
  • edited April 2017

Russians take a page out of Trump's playbook.
    Other politicians in Russia are lining up to condemn the US airstrike, with many politicians claiming the news of the chemical attack was a “fake” in order to provide a pretext for military action.
  • edited April 2017
    Trump is being investigated for links to Putin, there's a gas attack on a Syrian rebel held area, a bombing raid on a Syrian military target in retaliation and Putin condemns Trump.

No Americans hurt, no Russians hurt. Or am I being too cynical?

RT aka PutinTV is reporting that the bombs were normal and they hit a rebel chemical weapons store.
  • I've seen that claim debunked, fairly convincingly (to me, anyway).
    Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Hamish de Bretton Gordon, director of Doctors Under Fire and former commanding officer of the UK Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Regiment, said this claim was “completely untrue” .... "if you blow up sarin, you destroy it.”
  • We know all countries lie but with the Russians you get impression they don't put too much effort into making it a good one....
  • MrsGrey said:

I've seen that claim debunked, fairly convincingly (to me, anyway).

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Hamish de Bretton Gordon, director of Doctors Under Fire and former commanding officer of the UK Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Regiment, said this claim was “completely untrue” .... "if you blow up sarin, you destroy it.”
    Guardian journalist also visited the warehouse they were talking about - said it was just an abandoned building with old grain silos.
  • A friend of mine went to a protest in Jacksonville, FL yesterday about Syria, and some Trump supporters disrupted it, and the police got involved. A deaf guy in her protest group got hit with a trump flag and his hearing aid fell out, and then when he didn't respond to the police orders (he couldn't hear) he got beaten and tasered and went to hospital. The videos are horrendous.
  • Alderz: The US right wing is rapidly returning to the methods of the KKK, but this time round POTUS is encouraging them. He'll find it hard to reign them back when things get out of control. Wait for the "it's a states' rights issue, none of my business" opt out.
  • Did anyone else see that man try to turn the attack in London into a statement about gun control? And to attack Sadiq Khan?

He makes my stomach turn.

I hope the people that voted for him wake up one day and see past the ends of their noses and realise what they are doing to the entire world.
  • alderz

Trouble is they won't.

His core support are geared to trust Trump above all else.

For me, it's why he pushes this 'fake news' thing so much. What should be damning condemnations of his manifold failings are drowned out by anti-liberal sentiment.
  • alderz said:

Did anyone else see that man try to turn the attack in London into a statement about gun control? And to attack Sadiq Khan?

He makes my stomach turn.

In attempting to find the exact words of Sadiq Khan's speech (which Trump misquoted) I had the unpleasant experience of reading comments on the Mayor of London facebook page. I recommend against it.

A common opinion seems to be that London brought the attacks on itself by electing a Muslim mayor. The bile and hatred directed at Khan was awful.
  • It really is upsetting.

Grey - a friend of mine voted for Trump, and he told me that he feels a huge amount of shame and guilt about it. So there is hope that some people recognise
  • Voted Trump and would do again, I assure you i can see past my nose as can the majority of Trump supporters. The truth is in the questions that are not asked, not the media repeating other media sources making a tornado out of a whisper.
    Here's one for you, in Europe printers use formaldehyde & 100% VOC Alcohol in lithographic fountain solutions. I would not recommend microwaving any printed food cartons or licking your fingers if you read many books or magazines.
    European Reach regulations require manufacturers to release their formulas, Safety Data Sheets provide all the info necessary but Reach insists on formulas which they obviously will not get, so USA food packaging is and will remain far safer than European.
    I work in the printing industry & European printing is by no means green, far far from it.
    USA still has a long way to go on HAPS & VOC reduction but it is already well underway in the printing industry and across the board in other industries so does not need the Paris agreement to push it along. Trump is correct the Paris agreement as it stands is not an agreement, its a way of leveling the playing field & under those rules the only direction for the USA is down. Better off out with an eye to improve wherever possible.
  • edited June 2017
    You've not commented on this website in nearly 3 months. You've posted one comment outside of this thread or the Brexit thread since January.

Why are you here? People are upset at what that man is doing to the world. What are you trying to achieve?

Why is it that you never answer the questions at hand? Why are you talking about food packaging? The current hurt and upset is down to his unnecessary attack on Sadiq Khan, and his desire to turn an event in this country into a political statement about gun control.

Why not address that issue? Why not show a bit of compassion?
  • Is this your forum alderz?
  • It's a genuine question.

I don't understand why someone would come to a West Ham forum once every few months, just to quote Trump propaganda, not even addressing the issue at hand.

I'm not saying the guy can't post. I'm asking what the motive is.
  • edited June 2017
    Herb

This is our forum (that is to say, yours, mine, every member's), and I think that as a member alderz has a right to ask that question. It isn't personal or rude, and addresses the issue.
  • edited June 2017
    simonc said:

the only direction for the USA is down. Better off out with an eye to improve wherever possible.

As long as America is OK (economically, I assume you mean), never mind about what they are doing to the rest of the planet and the people who live on it, that's essentially what you are saying.

Which, by the way, includes Americans. They aren't in a hermetically-sealed environment.

And you say you can see past the end of your nose.....
  • Whoever modded alderz - the Breitbart reference he made was completely relevant. Its where a lot of Trump supporters get their world view from. It may help other 606 ers to perhaps look it up.

just sayin....
  • It was me who modded me, bbb.

It wasn't necessary and I took it out right away ;ok
  • Individual states are going to uphold the Paris Agreement anyway.

Trump draining the swamp. He is just filling it with more corporates ;lol

Its not about levelling a playing field, its already proven that Greener Energy is cheaper than alternatives and decreasing ever faster.

Just look at California greener than any other American state and economically better than any other American state. Trump says it will cost jobs yet 200,000 jobs were created in California as a result of changes to more greener energy.

What is it levelling a playing field for XD
  • And ironically, now that Trump has said he's taking USA out, it has (reportedly) given China a massive global advantage in the development of green technologies and green energy.

• As I understand this will not come into effect till the next election.

So if Trump doesn't win again then this policy can be reversed.