American Election Discussion

Comments

• And even if you think he is prescient ... nothing in the article you linked to supports that.

So really, if you want to fight his corner, you will have to do better than that. Sorry.

• Not fighting anything, but it is one hell of a coincidence
  • Not really though
  • Over four hours, the crowd burned about half a dozen cars, vandalized several shopfronts and threw rocks at police. Police spokesman Lars Bystrom confirmed to Sweden's Dagens Nyheter newspaper that an officer fired shots at a rioter but missed. A photographer for the newspaper was attacked by more than a dozen men and his camera was stolen, but ultimately no one was hurt or even arrested
    That's not a riot, that's a standard Saturday in Harlow
  • Actually no one hurt or arrested, that's not Harlow, that's not even Theydon Bois
  • edited February 2017
    simonc said:
    I know what clairvoyant means.

So in what way was Trump's statements about what had happened in the past in Sweden (which hadn't actually happened, but that's another issue) in any way predicting the future?

Unless there was a bit in his ramblings where he predicted what would happen?

And what he predicted actually occurred.

Which he didn't. And which hasn't.

Do you actually have any point,simon?

So I repeat.

No. He's not clairvoyant.

Next question?
  • Nothing ever happens in Theydon Bois. Apart from old Forresters sports, and Rod Stewart having a few down the pub
  • edited February 2017

Riot in Orpington (not Switzerland)
  • Well it's obvious. Trump arranged the trouble, to prove what he said. Warning: this may be an unsubstantiated allegation (tautology there, will this get past the grammarians??) but may be tomorrow's Fake News. You heard it faked here first ;wink
  • "A person who claims to have a supernatural ability to perceive events in the future or beyond normal sensory contact."

Simon have I missed that? Did your president claim to have a supernatural ability to perceive events in the future?
  • It can only be a matter of time before he does, alderz.

;wink
  • Well, if you're going to lie about everything else, why not lie about seeing the future too!
  • I saw the future and West Ham got relegated.

Relegation deal with it ;cool
  • Kuching

I get that you were joking, but let's be clear that everything here gets past 'grammarians' and anyone else if it meets site rules.

We don't allow people to comment on the punctuation, grammar or style of other users.
  • edited February 2017
    I think this piece below describes a very real danger. I think there is also an attempt to condemn the attempt to become ever more civilised as political correctness and belittle it or cast it as lefty or liberal. I think the big change we have are seeing is that politics will soon not be aligned by blue or red here or in the US but where you stand on the matter of national leaning and tolerance, are you opening out or closing in. The victories for Trump and Brexit here were claimed very much on a nationalistic platform with walls, sovereignty, imigartion etc winning the day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-39048293
  • Claret, whilst accepting that some voted Brexit due to the nationalistic platform, others actually voted for it as they see the UK dealing equally with the whole World, not just Europe ... In my view, and some others, the EU itself is insular and protectionist ...
  • Dodger

Whilst I agree that the reasons behind people voting were probably not nationalistic, there is no doubting that there was a nationalist tone to the campaigning.
  • I agree with you both as it is not possible to scrutinise and claim how such masses of people voted and their would have been a few reasons to the fore among those that voted either way, but as Alderz has pointed out the tone behind both Brexit and Trump was definitely nationalistic and so quite naturally appealed to the nationalistic among us. Even now Theresa May is having something termed a 'red white and blue brexit.... whatever that means.

I think both here and in the US politicians will pitch to one or the other and democrats and labour will not be able to rely on their usual support base and Conservative and republican will begin to be less able to rely on theirs should they begin to be seen to be too far to the right and driven there by the more nationalistic members of their party.

New political times both in the US and here.
  • Nationalism always rears its ugly head when things are tough. People need other people to blame. The irony of it is that those that point the finger and encourage others are normally the ones who are the real culprits and use nationalism as a deflection, a smokescreen. The one thing I find difficult in all this is understanding what multiculturalism is, what its aims are, and whether, on the face of it, it appears to be failing. A controversial view I know. But when you think of cultural/societal loyalty; it starts first and foremost with the family, it may then spread to neighbours, work colleagues and possibly to your village or immediate community. But beyond that and the lines become blurred.
    We, as a species, appear to be tribal and identify with people who have same/similar beliefs, goals and lifestyles. We feel threatened by "outsiders", by people that appear to have different beliefs or basically may just look different. These fears may or may not be rational, they may stem from something hidden deep in the human psyche. The one thing for certain is that these fears appear real. The majority of foreigners when entering a new country look for the familiar. English people moving to Spain may look for other English people, familiar shops, bars that show football and eateries offering all day breakfasts. Any "alien" set of people setting up communities in non native countries tend to group together, you have "China Town" the "Italian Quarter" the "Jewish Quarter" etc etc etc.
    Whenever and wherever there are migrations of people it seems almost a foregone conclusion that people from the same parts of the World will group together. The poorer the sets of immigrants the more ghettoised they tend to become. I`m not saying that any of this is right or wrong, it just seems to be what happens and has happened throughout history. If we are looking to form multicultural nations; are we saying that multiculturalism is to be just a collection of separate, disparate, isolated communities, or are we saying that multiculturalism is or should be people from different races, cultures and belief systems mixing freely. I should imagine that we are looking to achieve the latter, however, the former seems to be more prevalent.
    It seems to be the accepted norm that multiculturalism is the desired goal, that anyone who thinks or voices anything to the contrary is racist. What if multiculturalism isn`t a "natural" or "normal" trait of the human condition. What if we are programmed to rail against anything that we consider outside of our perceived accepted norms. Now this isn`t said from a racist perspective, it is not assuming that one set of belief systems is superior to another, or one race is superior to another, it is just acknowledging, that despite us all being human, we are all different, and perhaps some of us are "too different". Put it this way if your house was subject to a compulsory purchase order as two new towns were being built and you had to choose one to live in, which would you choose, Spud Town or Hammer Town.
    This may seem an odd view or an odd argument for someone who doesn`t believe in the nation state or arbitrary borders. Nationalism, jingoism, militarism are perhaps the greatest of all evils but recognising that different cultures may clash and different cultures living cheek by jowl may lead to (avoidable) "tensions" is surely worth debating without the word racist being chucked about and without the premise that multiculturalism (not sure myself what it means) is the only desired and correct scenario.
    The logical conclusion of multiculturalism (if I`ve understood it correctly) would surely mean that humanity becomes homogenised. Cultural identity, cultural diversity becomes increasingly blurred and the very differences that we celebrate will become lost. This may be a good thing, perhaps we`ll have nothing left to fight about. But at the same time it also seems to be self defeating ,we`ll end up, if we`re not careful with a "monoculture".
  • A controversial view I know. But when you think of cultural/societal loyalty; it starts first and foremost with the family, it may then spread to neighbours, work colleagues and possibly to your village or immediate community. But beyond that and the lines become blurred.

I think this observation is the question we are attempting to find out - Can this spreading out extend to humanity as a whole or will it always stop somewhere before that, will we always have an 'other'. I think many of us find it difficult to accept that humanity may have such limitations that it will always identify itself through incidentals of language, colour etc and be unable to recognise one as all, even though history does tend point to this being the case.

What is happening politically at present and has been throughout time is that these differences are being exploited and glued to the very real problems currently being experienced by many. How you feeling? It's because of the EU, it's because of the Mexicans, it's because of the Muslims etc.

I feel when confronted with this tactic by political power mongers we need ask ourselves if it is true, is this problem is due to those they say it is? In some cases and in some cases it may well be and we need acknowledge this as a possibility, but then if it is even then ask can we get around this without walls, without bans, without pulling up the drawbridge? for me this keeps us on the path to truly exploring if it is possible to extend our 'us' to include all of humanity.

As John Lennon once said 'you may call me a dreamer.... but I'm not the only one'.

Although someone did shoot him of course.
  • There are so many assumptions and generalisations I disagree with in your post Madcap.

I also think there are flaws in your argument, as well as contradictions.

I'm also interested that you seem to be locating the source of the 'problems' we have in society in 'human nature'. When previously, you have ascribed it to a political system, and I remember when the view was offered that its not democracy that's the problem, but people, you rejected that thesis.

• I can't remember where I read it but the optimum size of a commune was 500, anything above that and things start falling apart. Cooperation has to be a two way street and we may have to accept that some people want to live by a different set of values and integration is not possible. It is the imposition of values upon others that is the problem. Expecting middle eastern countries to embrace western type democracy seems perfectly reasonable to us but maybe anathema to that region and peoples. I think the conversation needs to be more along cultural lines rather than racial religious or ethnic lines. I am beginning to wonder if multiculturalism is workable, surely if a society is to be successful it needs to have common goals and values, there are obvious clashes between some cultures which is why some communities seem to be self segregating. I don't see that as necessarily wrong, as long as individuals within communities are free to choose which side of the fence they want to be and that the reasons they want to be there is because they agree with and want to be a part of the overarching ethos of that community. The lyrics of imagine, by the way, could almost be an anarcho communist anthem.
  • Mrs g. All I am offering up are alternative views. The arguments may be inconsistent .
    And plain wrong. What I am suggesting is that mass migrations are not natural to the human condition, they are generally enforced by failed politics. I'm also not suggesting that people shouldn't be allowed to live where they want in the world, they should. What I'm asking is multiculturalism a natural human condition or a socio political experiment. I also think humans are tribal, but don't see that as a problem or the necessary cause of problems. Most social sciences are based on assumptions and generalisations.
  • edited February 2017
    Apparently Gove has been interviewed (wide-ranging, although it does touch on his Trump interview and the role of Murdoch.) In this interview, where he is the subject, he says Trump is “clearly narcissistic”. He also said, “My hunch is that he will see through this term and then he will lose the next election. Knowing that he might lose, he might find some means of quitting while he thinks he is ahead, though I suspect that his ego will mean he will both want to see what he can do in office and he will believe that he can prevail against whoever the Democrat opponent is.”

;hmm
  • Gove's a student of the art of being ITK.
  • He was talking about himself, surely.
  • From Private Eye's number crunching

0 - deaths from violence in Sweden on 17 February, despite Trump saying 'look at what's happening last night in Sweden''

32 - fatal shootings in USA on 17 February out of a total of 128 violent incidents involving guns
  • I know America is a big place. But 32 fatal shootings in one day is bonkers. What a waste of life. The gun lobby is a powerful voice in America and "the right to bear arms" appears to be deeply entrenched in the American psyche. The logic is is that the bad guys have guns, so I need a gun. Understandable I suppose and almost impossible to break the cycle.

Mrs G. I don`t think Trump is a quitter. He will see this out to the bitter end and I guarantee he will run next time. I think he is partial to a little bit of power.
  • He's more partial to golf by all accounts