American Election Discussion

Comments

• edited February 2017
    A fine-tuned machine?

;nonono ;lol

His immigration executive order was rushed in and caused chaos. It was (largely) illegal so it was quashed. And the appeal against that was lost. Trump announced they would appeal further, then did a U-turn, apparently.

The newly-appointed National Security Advisor was sacked after less than a month.

Trump's preferred NS replacement turned the job down.

His nomination for new Labour Secretary withdrew before getting confirmed..

His nomination for new Education Secretary could only get confirmed when the VP voted for her (and the 1st time a VP has ever had to vote in a confirmation process) because 2 Republicans blocked her..

He's made conflicting statements about his administration's policy for the Middle East.

Ditto, Taiwan.
  • edited February 2017
    Vorse, there are a bunch of small-time media groups no one has ever who have been given accreditation, it would seem because they are pro-Trump. In fact one, I've heard, said it is committed to reporting on the press within the White House. The majority of questions during the presser with Netanyahu were from these journalists. I think maybe all, apart from the one for an Israeli journalist.

There to ask the "good questions", no doubt.
  • I really worry for the kids in America going by the Education Secretary. She reminds me of a Spitting Image puppet. That can't be good.
  • edited February 2017

I really worry for the kids in America going by the Education Secretary. She reminds me of a Spitting Image p muppet. That can't be good.

That's better.

She is clueless and delusioned. Just like us West Ham supporters.

;yercoat
  • I think you mean disillusioned. Spuds are delusional ;biggrin
  • So bfs was talking about them?
  • I feel sorry for the Saturday Night Live script writers, they've had loads of stuff to write for Alec Baldwin's Trump impersonation but how do you write stuff funnier than what Trump actually said yesterday?
  • They copy and paste it...hahahaha
  • Has anyone given a thought as to how he is going to be received at the next G8 summit,

• edited February 2017
    I bet Theresa will cuddle up to him again no doubt as her desperation for friends grows. It might just get embarrassing as Merkal eyes him suspiciously whilst Theresa sits on his knee.

After bestowing a state visit on him on their first date it's hard to see what she can offer him next time. It really will be a dawning on how far we have fallen if he continues on his downward trajectory and yet we see him sat next to the queen waving from one of her horse drawn coaches whilst the world looks on and wonders how that happened for both of us.
  • C&B. Next time they will not only hold hands, but will skip the full length of Downing Street whilst holding hands. On entering number 10, May will look teasingly over her shoulder at the Worlds press, and with a wink and lecherous grin, will close the door provocatively with her trembling hand whispering "no cameras please". The press will be left with the receding sounds of girly squeals and giggles and a faint rendition of Mr Trump doing a splendid impression of Elvis singing "Love Me Tender". The cameras will then swing around to a perspiring Boris Johnson who is rosy cheeked and mopping his brow with a polka dot handkerchief after having skipped alongside the "World Leaders" for the entire length of Downing Street. He explains to the press that he skipped along side his "mistress" and "The Potus" for "the want of knowing the correct protocol when faced with skipping dignitaries". He goes on to explain that he was to be "included in the high level meeting" but on reflection and the evidence before him the Prime Minister may have felt this meeting needed to be kept "one on one" and The Potus had previously expressed a wish for "privacy and intimacy in their special relationship" when "discussing the finer points of their forth coming visit down under". Boris also went on to say that The Potus had seemed excited by the prospect of "the next G string meeting of World Leaders" but he had tactfully corrected Trump on the terminology and it was indeed "the G8". Although he was sure he had heard Trump whisper "not on my watch son" as The Potus turned away to begin the now "viral" skip along Downing Street.
  • Please don't go any further Madcap, the imagery is leading me somewhere I fear I may never recover from ;nonono
  • C&B. It does make for uncomfortable reading. Enough to put you off your breakfast. It was your line "It`s hard to see what she can offer him next" that got my mind a wandering..............................I know he`s mad (and all that) but that press conference was hilarious. And his musings on uranium were..........genius. The lunatics really are taking over the asylum. All we need now is for Blair to throw his hat back in the ring...........................
    ;biggrin
  • At what point does somebody high up in US intelligence say

''Ok guys, thats enough........'' ? ;hmm
  • BBB, you would have thought that point had been reached, wouldn't you

Unfortunately it does not appear to be the case ;weep
  • edited February 2017
    But he is there by the will of the people so surely cant be a mistake. Can the intelligence people remove him as it would be reckless and not in the national interest or even the global interest to allow him to remain? or can you not go back on these things. Do they need wait four years? lot of consequence can be felt in four years.
  • C&BS - Section 4 of the Constitution says "The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High crimes and Misdemeanors"

Impeachment requires a simple majority vote in the House of Representatives, the trial is held in the Senate where a conviction requires a two thirds majority,

Currently the House has 238 Republican, 193 Democrat with 4 vacancies, the Senate has 52 Republicans, 46 Democrats and 2 independents who sit with the Democrats so impeachment would require the Republicans to turn on their own president.
  • It's possible if they prefer and trust the vice president I guess, for as many have pointed out although running as a republican he was really an independent and has likely no more than half of the republican support personally at best.

I think he will continue to embarrass but be tolerated for a period of time as seen as necessary to ensure he is seen to have enough rope, and then if he makes a big mistake they will find something to impeach with.
  • There is an eerie correlation between Brexit and Trump in these last few posts, especially here (first two sentences)
    http://www.whu606.com/discussion/comment/850811/#Comment_850811

Madcap, very droll, but is this not the consequence of something you wished for?
    http://www.whu606.com/discussion/comment/850745/#Comment_850745

• edited February 2017
    Trump cites terror attack in Sweden

“We’ve got to keep our country safe. You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night [Friday night] in Sweden.”

“Sweden, who would believe this? '

;doh

Let's hope nobody does believe it, because it's not true. There was no terror attack.

And yet he continues to lambast the media for reporting 'fake news'.

Well, they will be if they report what he says, 'cos he just makes stuff up. ;angry

• Well yeah Donald we did look at what happened in Germany which is why when we look at you we are so terrified.
  • He also said: ‘We’ve allowed thousands and thousands of people into our country and there was no way to vet those people. There was no documentation. There was no nothing.'

That's another lie.

He is beyond despicable
  • edited February 2017
    Liar!! He is such a liar!

I once spent 10 hours post 9-11 in immigration at JFK airport as my family name was Moroccon and sounded a bit Muslimee.
  • Apparently some Fox News reporter claimed he was attacked in a "no go area" in Sweden which I guess must be pretty much like the "no go areas" Trump claimed we have in London and Birmingham.
  • edited February 2017
    ;lol a 'no go area' in Sweden? What is one of those?

It is where they play non stop ABBA through a tannoy system?
  • edited February 2017

Liar!! He is such a liar!

I once spent 10 hours post 9-11 in immigration at JFK airport as my family name was Moroccon and sounded a bit Muslimee.

Despite what Trump says, they have a really really rigorous vetting system for immigrants.

And since Jan 2016, anybody who was exempt from getting a visa (under the Visa Waiver Programme) but who had been to Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011 would no longer be able to be exempt. They would have to apply for a visa, and be vetted etc. Even if they were just changing planes.

(See the Dwight Yorke story - was trying to fly from Qatar to Trinidad and Tobago. But there was a stop-over in Miami, so he was refused boarding in Qatar. ;doh )
  • But illegals aren't vetted. ;hmm
  • edited February 2017
    I do not recall the dates, 2006/7??? but I had to go to the US consulate in London to extend my visa and it was swamped with travelers who suddenly discovered they needed Visa's Simply to transit home via the US.

It was a madhouse

• IronHerb said:

But illegals aren't vetted. ;hmm

He wasn't talking about Mexicans, IronHerb.

I'm not sure if I have understood your point. ;hmm

That vetting quote was clearly referring to people from the 'banned' countries, and the executive orders designed to 'make our country safe'.