American Election Discussion

Comments

• simonc

Did she correct herself? I think, rather, she was corrected, and that isn't simple nit-picking.

Someone making a mistake and then immediately saying so is correcting themselves.

Needing to be corrected by media sources is not the same thing at all.

It is, imo, totally unacceptable that such a high-ranking official should be capable of making such an error. It shows utter disregard for truth in preference to making a splash.

• MrsGrey said:

- or she thought that by using that emotive word - a lie - it would increase support for Trump.)

Sorry, I meant to say 'so-called President' Trump.

;wink
  • Simonc, you know that expression, "if you're in a hole, stop digging" ........ ;hmm
  • NE - As you can see Mrs G ignored the point i made to make a different one that was specificaly defamitary to the Trump administration.
    It is very obvious that he/they can do no right in some peoples eyes.

I dont consider it a hole - do you not consider your loosing campaign against Brexit a hole?
  • edited February 2017
    simonc

What's the point of that?

You are doing what Trump and his staff do, deflecting from the original point to avoid having to answer it.

Conway didn't misspeak, she out and out got something so wrong that one must conclude that either she was very badly informed (a worrying thought) or she has no real interest in telling the truth ( a more worrying thought.)

This has nothing to do with poking Trump with a stick because he can do no right, and everything to do with pointing out serious concerns about how he and his administration are going about things.

How can you be happy with a POTUS who has so little regard for the process of law in the USA that he refers to someone who rules against him as a 'so-called judge'?

Take off your 'at least he's not Clinton' blinkers and have a proper look at how he and his team have gone about their first weeks in power.
  • edited February 2017
    simonc said:

NE - As you can see Mrs G ignored the point i made to make a different one that was specificaly defamitary to the Trump administration.

I wasn't intending to ignore your point. If I misunderstood your point, plaese explain to me what it was.

I took your point to be,

"the key issue is that 2 refugees screened and cleared under the current rules were in fact terrorists"

--

As I have proven, that is not actually true.

So how can you say it is the key issue?

Ignore the 'misspeaking' issue. You made a statement of fact. But it was false.

--

On a separate point, if 'defamatory' = damaging the good reputation of someone; I deny being defamatory to the Trump administration.

On the grounds that (a) I said nothing about the Trump administration.

An(b) I don't agree that they have a good reputation.

Other than that, you carry on. ;ok
  • MrsG please enlighten me as to why that is not actualy true i dont seem to be able to find your proof
  • "So called" last i looked he was the President & so far so good, like i said before the temporary ban is not something that i would fight for as from my knoledge it will have little impact on terrorism but as i tried to point out the current screening does need reviewing
  • 'so-called' - I was just having a little joke. He called the judge a 'so-called' judge.
    Well, he's a much an actual judge as the President is an actual president .
  • edited February 2017
    simonc said:

MrsG please enlighten me as to why that is not actualy true i dont seem to be able to find your proof

You said the vetting process that let in the 2 Bowling Green Iraquis is the current system, which is obviously flawed as it let them in.

I pointed out (with evidence, see my posts at the end of the previous page) that after the temporary suspension, and review of vetting procedures under Obama, the vetting procedures were tightened, and it is these tougher rules that are in place currently.
  • simonc said:

"the current screening does need reviewing

Do you have any basis for saying this, other than what Trump said?

Have there been any problems with it?
  • Mrs G i stand corrected please accept my appologies,
  • edited February 2017
    ;ok

(I edited one of the posts, so you might not have seen at first reading.)
  • Controversial!

John Bercow, Speaker of the HoC, has said he would personally block any invitation to Trump to address both Houses of Parliament in Westminster Hall during his state visit.

Giving his reasons, he cited Trump's sexism and racism. The HoC is (he says) opposed to both things, and it also supports equality before the law and an independent judiciary. Therefore he could not agree to an invitation being extended - and this resolve has been further strengthened by the Executive Order (migrant ban).
  • I'm glad he has actually stood up and said something. May has been a huge disappointment in this whole thing
  • We need Hugh Grant, and we need him now!

David Beckham's left foot, come to that...
  • Nordstrom becomes the fifth retailer to drop the Ivanka Trump [Daughter of the President, wife of Presidential advisor Jared Kushner] clothing brand due to declining sales.

Kellyanne Conway [Counselor To President Donald Trump] on Fox News: "Go buy Ivanka's stuff".

Federal ethics rules prevent White House employees giving an endorsement of any product, service or enterprise.

Relax. I'm quoting the BBC so it's just Fake News. Otherwise I would have believed it to be a breach of ethics and a conflict of interest.
  • The stuff going on now is just beyond silly - It's like the President of the United States has become a post you learn on the job now, no one in his administration seems to have the faintest clue about what the job entails and how to go about it.

It's what happens when there is a backlash against 'elites' or the intelligent. considered and rational as I call them, you get a fella who whilst president and sitting in the white house, tweets personal barbs against people and companies who he feels have slighted him.

I cant see him lasting six months at this rate..
  • Initially it spun from his America First speech at the inauguration, the Dutch put out a hilarious skit on allowing the Netherlands to come second.

Cue scenes of Holland with a Trump impersonation as audio, it was really, really funny.

This has swiftly been followed by similar skits from Germany, Bulgaria and of all places Switzerland.

Yes that is right, a very, very numerous satirical skit from Switzerland.

When it gets to the point that Switzerland are making fun of you, the only sensible conclusion to arrive at is that the current administration has managed, in just over three weeks, to make themselves, and by association, the United States of America, a laughing stock to the entire world.

All in all, not a bad effort, Trump really should take a bow

;bowdown
  • edited February 2017
    Made me laugh: Trump responding to the recent appeal ruling (which upheld the suspension of aspects of the 'Muslim Ban' executive order, said 'It's a political decision.'

;lol

I guess he doesn't do irony.
  • MrsG

On the decision for the court to uphold the ruling of the ban, Trump said "See you in court!". To the court.

;doh
  • edited February 2017
    ;lol ;lol

Actually, that needs a few more.

;lol ;lol ;lol
  • I thought it was in response to Hillary tweeting 3-0. I could be wrong though.
  • alderz said:

MrsG

On the decision for the court to uphold the ruling of the ban, Trump said "See you in court!". To the court.

;doh

Someone tweeted back saying, "We already did and you lost"
  • At this rate he is going to start losing his hair...
  • I thought it was in response to Hillary tweeting 3-0. I could be wrong though.

I think hers was later.

Some of these made me ;lol
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/10/3-0-hillary-clinton-responds-as-trumps-see-you-in-court-becomes-a-meme

I might have to start following @TrumpDraws
  • Does anyone else find it interesting that he uses his "Donald Trump" twitter account and not his "POTUS" one? There are plenty of opinion pieces from people that know him that suggest he didn't expect to win, and never REALLY wanted to be president. One of his friends (I forget the guys name) did an interview and said that Trump only originally ran in order to boost ratings for the Apprentice. I don't know how true that is, but it does strike me as odd that he doesn't represent himself as "POTUS" but as "Trump".
  • He thinks he's bigger than POTUS.
  • This is just an elaborate attempt to get more Twitter followers.