American Election Discussion

Comments

• NE - another area we have in common. I too have been to Cuba but it was back in 1999, as with you we never felt threatened in any way at any time and the people were friendly. As to not allowed to make money - we used to go to go eat in peoples houses as they were allowed to open their doors and you paid like you did in any other restaurant, the difference was you were eating in their front rooms and the food was basic but still delicious - Empanadas and Pastelitos, Arroz con pollo, Boniato con mojo and Huevos habaneros (which I still have for breakfast at least one a month but without the Cumin). Granted you had to pay in CUC's, but they have a higher value than the CUP (but tipped in US Dollars).

People forget that when the revolution first happened it a nationalist revolution, not a communist one, that only occurred once the US had applied trade sanctions and Castro was forced to turn to the Soviet block to survive. A lot of the other things that Simonic refers to )particularly 1, 3 and 4) were due to the US's continued interference in trying to encourage a popular rising to overthrow Castro and his government

The Trade Sanctions also made it difficult for the people of Cuba to work earn money for themselves. I remember being asked to tip in US dollars as they could then go to the 'Dollar Shops' which were meant for the tourists to buy what we would class as 'essentials' like cooking oil etc. and there was actually quite a lot of it going on - tipping in US Dollars that is.

Before we went we looked into things and took basic items like pens (biro's), pencils and other everyday products because the US sanction meant they could not buy them locally as essentially the US said that any country/business that did business with them could not do business with Cuba, if they did they would face US trade sanctions themselves. Having said that, there was evidence of a lot of Spain and other Central and South American countries - Central and South American countries would take Cuban Doctors and other medical personnel and cover all their living costs, and pay in trade goods. So when we were out and about we took them with us and gave them out to the kids rather than money/sweets as most were doing.

Also a lot of the Hotels were part owned by the Gov't and most of the profit put into the running of the country. It must have galled the US into apoplexy when after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Cuba did not follow, due to the strategy followed by Castro and the Gov't they actually increased state spending in most areas.

So all of the points that Simonic makes have to be tempered a little bit, particularly 2 and 5 as these were allowed but restricted but trade sanctions, any info the US puts out on Cuba has to be viewed keeping in mind their agenda. I mean it's not like the US or any other countries around the world do any of those thing that are listed or worse do they........ ;wink

I am not condoning anything Castro did anymore than I condone the US and what went on in the US Cuban outpost (Guantanamo Bay) or some of the other policies they pursue around the world in the name of protecting themselves and the 'free' world, just adding some balance and understanding as to why some of these things occurred.
  • edited December 2016
    Onme'eadson, ;ok
    The places you refer to were where we mostly stayed. If you can remember they were called "casas peculiares", and were exactly as you described.

We stayed in one in Trinidad for 3 nights. Unfortunately my wife was taken ill with some gastric bug or other and had to spend the first day in bed. Very fortunately our hostess (who cooked our meals) was a doctor (can you believe it) who provided the necessary care, and of course she would not hear of any payment.
    Btw, her husband was also a doctor on contract work in North Africa for 2 years, her mother was a retired doctor and I don't need to tell you what her daughter was studying to be ;biggrin.
    The thing which struck me was the classlessness people felt amongst each other. There seemed to be no assumption that if one was a doctor then he or she was higher than a factory worker.
  • casas particulares ;biggrin
  • ADMeus - no cumin!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm reading on the BBC that, in an interview on Fox News Sunday, Donald Trump has stated that he will not need daily intelligence briefings:

"I'm a smart person. I don't need to be told the same thing in the same way for eight years."

So not only does the US President-elect think he doesn't need to be kept aware of what is going on in the wide, wide world but he is also confident of a second term.

Could somebody please tell me that the BBC has got it wrong and that this story just isn't true.
  • As you asked politely: it's not true.

(but really, it is)
  • Unless they were interviewing a Trump impersonater. then it is true.
  • edited December 2016
    On Wednesday, asked by reporters about sanctions or other steps against Russia after evidence they had interfered in the US election, Trump said: “I think we ought to get on with our lives.

“I think that computers have complicated lives very greatly. The whole age of computer has made it where nobody knows exactly what’s going on.”

Give that man the nuclear launch codes RIGHT NOW! Yeah, baby!
  • This was a comment that made me laugh, one of the talking heads was lamenting that it seemed to him that the email hacking only resulted in exposees from the Democratic Party so it was obviously one sided and designed to influence the election in favor of Trump.

The riposte was, in my opinion, spot on

"It appears impossible to me to try and imagine what possible damaging evidence, or expressed opinions, could be gleaned from hacking the e-mail servers of the Republican Party that their presidential nominee was not prepared to, or had not indeed already repeatedly shouted out, to a live microphone in front of thousands of people..

Trump cannot be accused of lacking transparency, he does not have a public opinion that flies in the face of his private one, it is more a case of two public opinions glaringly at odds with each other."

Well it made me laugh

• This was a comment that made me laugh, one of the talking heads was lamenting that it seemed to him that the email hacking only resulted in exposees from the Democratic Party so it was obviously one sided and designed to influence the election in favor of Trump.

The riposte was, in my opinion, spot on

"It appears impossible to me to try and imagine what possible damaging evidence, or expressed opinions, could be gleaned from hacking the e-mail servers of the Republican Party that their presidential nominee was not prepared to, or had not indeed already repeatedly shouted out, to a live microphone in front of thousands of people..

Trump cannot be accused of lacking transparency, he does not have a public opinion that flies in the face of his private one, it is more a case of two public opinions glaringly at odds with each other."

Well it made me laugh

Trump emails:

"I really think we need strong gun control and have you heard that they still believe in God...Lol"

Would have been the only things he could have said that would have lost him votes.
  • Russian Hacking? Obama can say it but does the "proof" prove it?
    https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/01/election-hack-faq/
    Democrats simply refuse to believe that Clinton was a terrible candidate & Obama Care sunk them - Russians Not
  • Wow, who to believe?

A report by the FBI and DHS which has supported by the CIA, the NSA and the Congressional leaders of both parties OR some people who run a blogging website?

It's a toughie...........
  • ;lol

I'd go for the bloggers every time...
  • The Crazy things it Bloggers and the President of the United States...

In a tweet yesterday after his briefing on this had been delayed,

"Perhaps more time needed to build a case. Very strange!" he wrote.
  • edited January 2017
    His briefing was delayed you say.

So he has an unexpected gap in his busy schedule?

Maybe he could use it to release his tax returns.

'Perhaps more time needed to cook the books collate the information. Very strange!' ;hmm
  • His briefing wasn't delayed, neither F.B.I. director James Comey or director of national intelligence James Clapper were due to be in New York on Tuesday, according to their spokespeople the meeting was always scheduled for Friday.
  • Aslef very funny, till you understand these "bloggers" compile data from "millions" of installs of their software. I think they may know a little bit about internet security
  • OK, so Obama is throwing 35 diplomats out of the country on a whim.
  • simonc said:

Aslef very funny, till you understand these "bloggers" compile data from "millions" of installs of their software. I think they may know a little bit about internet security

... unlike the FBI, CIA, DHS and NSA?
  • edited January 2017
    I was not aware the FBI CIA DHS or NSA had anti hacking software installed on millions of privately controlled websites all reporting back to a central server in real time automatically identifying and blocking suspicious ip's, if they do i stand corrected. (but very concerned)
    However the "evidence" released proves nothing, i would hope they have something far better, releasing what they did only undermines their position.
    As for Obama throwing out 30 diplomats, sure he has nothing to lose at this point, he has thrown everyone else under the bus so why not the Russians, he still refuses to accept that he is even partly responsible for the loss,
  • Obama has a 53.7% positive/41.4% negative approval rating

Meanwhile Drumpf's 43.8% positive/47.8% negative before he's even taken office

Even George Dubya managed 50% while President elect. Sad
  • For a given value of 'sad', obviously. ;biggrin
  • Aslef, this is brilliant!
    ;bowdown
  • It's Cassette Boy (or somebody copying their style) from Charlie Brooker's 2016 Wipe
  • Could just as easily be CNN
  • Grumpy Turtle
  • edited January 2017
    simonc said:

Russian Hacking? Obama can say it but does the "proof" prove it?
    https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/01/election-hack-faq/
    Democrats simply refuse to believe that Clinton was a terrible candidate & Obama Care sunk them - Russians Not

So, apparently now Trump DOES believe it was the Russians.

“As far as hacking, I think it was Russia,
    " he said in his press conference.

So, to answer your question, the proof appears to prove it.

To Trump's satisfaction anyway. ;ok