American Election Discussion

Comments

• Far(-right-r)age was a member of the Conservative Party until 1992.

• I really hate that Farage is getting credit from this, I can him becoming a Tory in the future and running for leader.

He'd have to get elected as an MP first.

Which he never has, so far.

Despite his dodgy fascist MEP friends illegally claiming EU money to help him.
  • And, allegedly, his Tory enemies illegally spending election funds to stop him.
  • Far(-right-r)age was a member of the Conservative Party until 1992.

Didn't you the memo, we have to call them alt-right now? ;doh
  • edited November 2016
    Herb, I haven't seen anything about that, so I shall go google pronto. ;ok

However, even if Tories have done something that breaches Tory party rules (or other rules - as I say, I haven't read about that yet), one in no way imo justifies or excuses the other.

All we can therefore conclude (if both scenarios are upheld) is that 2 lots of political groups have falsely claimed money they weren't entitled to.

Which is something I disapprove of.

(Edit, I lied - I'm not going to google until morning because it's 10pm here and I'm going to watch TV and drink ;redwine instead ;biggrin )

• outcast, apparently the Muslim list is OK because they did it to the Japanese during WW2.

;doh
  • Yeah I've seen it and tried to ignore. Ive been trying hard not to comment on a lot of it.

Reminded me of a novel about internment is one read an excerpt from and want to follow up on.

This is just brilliant.
  • Interesting, Herb.

Although I'm not clear on the difference between spending limits and expenses. Seems the blogger might be blurring the amounts in each category. Worth a bit more digging. ;ok

And even if they overspent and fiddled the books, can we say it was 'to defeat Farage', when based on the outcome of the precious election, Labour was the main challenge? UKIP was insignificant ;hmm

• Reminded me of a novel about internment is one read an excerpt from and want to follow up on.

I read the novel (think it won a prize (?Booker) and there was a movie based on it. Fishing/fishermen? Something about snow?
  • Snow falling on Cedars.
  • Looks interesting but I'm not sure it was that. I think it was Farewell to Manzanar, which isn't a novel. Now to agonise over whether to buy on Kindle when I'd rather have a real copy.

(I really need to check over my spelling before posting)
  • edited November 2016

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/michael-crick/blogs/electoral-commission-act-tory-thanet-expenses

I do not wish to belittle the claims made as there are serious issues abounding, but I did read this with a sense of whimsical bemusement, it struck me as a very British scandal.

A dispute over a £15,000 hotel bill ran up over a period of weeks - did they brazenly breach limits, and somehow cover it up with judicious accounting etc.

In just the month of July, way before thing ramped up to serious proportions, Hillary spent $38million and Trumpty Dumpty spent $18millon - including $430,000 in red baseball caps.

All in all it is speculated that the two presidential campaigns spent close to $5.8 Billion.

Now that is a proper expense bill

;wink
  • edited November 2016
    IronHerb said:
    I've just realised that that was the article from January that kicked the whole investigation off. I do remember that there was a to-do about accounting and expenses - I hadn't registered that South Thanet was one of the areas, though.

Since then (I have discovered) the Electoral Commission have launched an investigation in conjunction with police. They went to court in June to get (I think) access to more documents, and to get an extension for the investigation to continue.

They haven't reported on the outcome yet.

There abounds much speculation that if a certain number of Tories lose their seats over this (the election results in that area being declared void) there could be scenes of terrible devastation. Bye-elections. No Tory majority. etc. ;wahoo

And although it can't negate the referendum, it could certainly encourage those who think it should be re-run ;wink
  • Its funny you post that Suze, you know Trumps son, the one who hovers in the background when Trump is speaking, the shifty looking lad, Damien I think his name is......................................
  • Think you are grasping at straws there a bit Mrs G, that is one seat you are highlighting which if it did go to a bye=election would in all probability end up a UKIP seat so would have no impact on the referendum, in fact it would only strengthen the leave voice in parliament. Why would other Tories lose their seats if it is only the one seat in question? And if there were other seats where this occurred and they did, would it not be in the same areas where there was a big UKIP presence (which was their main concern), so again the seat would be either retained by the Tories or go to UKIP?

Why would that encourage those who want re-run of the referendum vote, just because it did not go their way? It has already been stated by all the main parties it will not be re-run - ;hmm there's a thought, what would happen if it was and the leave vote was even bigger, after all, the one thing that has been disproved from the last remain campaign is ..... almost everything, so a new project fear would not work and people would not trust and information from them in a new campaign. ;wink
  • edited November 2016

Think you are grasping at straws there a bit Mrs G, that is one seat you are highlighting which if it did go to a bye=election would in all probability end up a UKIP seat so would have no impact on the referendum, in fact it would only strengthen the leave voice in parliament. Why would other Tories lose their seats if it is only the one seat in question? And if there were other seats where this occurred and they did, would it not be in the same areas where there was a big UKIP presence (which was their main concern), so again the seat would be either retained by the Tories or go to UKIP?

It’s more than one seat, in total there are 29 seats that are subject to enquires, 22 of which were won by the Tories including Weaver Vale where they beat Labour by 1.7%.

Why would that encourage those who want re-run of the referendum vote, just because it did not go their way? It has already been stated by all the main parties it will not be re-run - ;hmm there's a thought, what would happen if it was and the leave vote was even bigger, after all, the one thing that has been disproved from the last remain campaign is ..... almost everything, so a new project fear would not work and people would not trust and information from them in a new campaign. ;wink

The Lib Dems have said they’d hold another referendum, in 2020 they are hopeful of winning back seats they lost to the Tories like Eastleigh, Lewes and Twickenham where there was support for Remain.

As for things that have been disproved both campaigns seem to have been slightly dubious; £350m for the NHS?????

PS shouldn't this be in the "UK is out" discussion rather than the US one?
  • edited November 2016
    Aslef ;ok There is a bit of overlap because of Farage's involvement. I will try to disentangle them somehow.

Admeus, I can imagine it encouraging those who want a re-run of the referendum (of which I am not one) because if the Tories hadn't won the election, there wouldn't have been a referendum in the first place. They won with a 12 seat majority. If the results of the current 29-seat investigation conclude that a number of seats weren't won fair and square... well, you can work it out, I'm sure.
  • So Farewell Fidel Castro.

I can't help but wonder how President Trump would have dealt with the Cuban Missile Crisis.
  • You probably wouldn't be here to wonder.
  • adecoker said:

So Farewell Fidel Castro.

I can't help but wonder how President Trump would have dealt with the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Built a wall ;thumbsup
  • Everybody forgets that when Fidel visited the USA after the revolution he was greeted as a hero and claimed George Washington and Abraham Lincoln as his inspiration.

It was only after Eisenhower bowed to pressure from the United Fruit Co that he became a communist
  • BTW if you want to find out about the Cuban Revolution do NOT watch the 2008 film Che, it goes on for over four hours and could have done with some serious script editing
  • Watch 'The Motorcycle Diaries' instead - great film about the young Che and what radicalised him. Beautifully shot.
  • Green Party candidate Jill Stein has raised the $5m needed to pay for a recount in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan, key states where Trump won by small percentages over Clinton. Quite a interesting thing to do as Stein herself has absolutely no chance of winning.

Imagine if we had to pay for recounts in the UK, so much for the Land of the Free!

Maybe when Trump said the election was rigged he knew that because his mate Putin had told him it would be.

Trump says "the people have spoken", perhaps some of them were speaking Russian!
  • This latest move towards recounts is my worst nightmare, the money collected and being spent is pure incompetence - for the result to be amended, there would have to be clear evidence of vote mismanagement in all three states - and I simply do not believe that to be the case,

IF a recount does throw up doubt on the original result then the legal repurcussions will be never ending - and heaven only knows what the final bill be.
  • By the end of October Clinton had spent $897.7m on her campaign while Trump had spent $429.5m. $6m for three recounts is insignificant by comparison, its money well spent as it will settle any doubts about the validity of the election and either restores faith in the system or reveals failings.

Trump arguing against a recount is utter hypocrisy since he was the one raised the issue of voter fraud and rigged elections in the first place. If he seriously suspects that there was voter fraud in any state then he can pay for his own recounts, put his money where his mouth is.
  • Snowing in Chicago today so it feels a little like Christmas came early...