Astra - Home - Thursday 25th August - Europa League 2nd Leg

Comments

• I can see the stadium from my flat. A short 10min walk and I am there!

And a really long ten minute walk back.

• edited August 2016
    How did Calleri not score there?
  • Like Calleris movement and his skill on the ball, need I see whether he can hit the back of the net though
  • Think the 3 in the middle are all a bit too similar

Kouyate is a good box to box midfielder but isn't a direct goal threat and lacks that little bit of class on the ball

Wish we could see Tore on the left and Antonio on the right and really attack the full backs as they keep running into traffic when they cut in

Astra posing no threat going forward
  • We are conceding too many free kicks around the box
  • edited August 2016
    Reed is trying to get himself sent off. Needs to calm down.
  • What's wrong with Reid

No danger and now he's booked
  • Loads of play-acting, was it this mob that were really bad last season or was it in another of the European games?
  • Reid's distribution has been ace.

It's killing us having no natural LB and we're crying out for a striker and one of our creative duo.
  • Tore and Antonio switching sides should at least be a little better

Might be worth bringing on Fletcher for one of the CMs and let Calleri drop a little deeper in the #10 position he looks like he has the skillset to play there
  • We're not getting the decisions, though. The ref seems somewhat one-sided.
  • That wasn't supposed to happen

Both fullbacks at fault

How easy was that
  • We now need 2 but don't look like getting 1
  • Yet another flat performance, like all four of our games so far.
  • Tbh that 1st half was as poor as I've seen for a long time.
    coyi
  • Need to change it

Put Fletcher up top, Tore and Antonio on there natural flanks and get some crosses into the box

Criminally slow performance
    Need to move the ball quicker or this game is gone
  • I think Bilic is playing Antonio on the right to cover Burke.
  • Problem is that the squad is not currently strong enough, because the owners haven't reinforced it enough.

That may well change tomorrow, but we may be out of this by then.

A striker should've been in weeks ago (not Ayew, he's a wide forward), so that we are not now relying on Calleri, Valencia and Fletcher to progress in Europe.

Get Burke off. The balance at LB is wrong. Move Byram or Ogbonna and slip Nordtveit into the back four. Get Fletcher or Valencia on and go more 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. Not sure why Slav has resorted back to Tore and Antonio on opposite flanks when they were ineffective there against Bournemouth.

Hopefully we can up the tempo second half, but I don't think we currently have the personnel to do it.
  • We now need 2 but don't look like getting 1

No.

We need 1, and that could see us rely on pens.
  • Massively missing Noble too.
  • edited August 2016
    Lukerz

It's another scratch team, with no creative midfielders, what did you expect?

Really frustrating to give away the goal, after playing 44 minutes of very sensible European football.

Naive from Brian, getting carried away, and not taking enough care with his pass. He had no need to try to send the ball out there.

I don't blame Burke; he couldn't do any more with that pass.

Have to be honest, hard to see us getting 2 goals.
  • Don't worry guys we've got Valencia on the bench.
  • edited August 2016
    But why is it a scratch team grey?

We're missing Payet, ok. And Lanzini. But other than a LB it's a decent set of players. First choice back four bar Burke. 2/3 first choice in midfield. Obiang offers absolutely nothing. Not sure what he actually does. We're not playing AC Milan or Stoke. We're playing Astra. They got beat 5-1 five days ago!

The wingers are experienced, so we are only really lacking in the CF department. Surprise, surprise. Only had since May to sign one!
  • Well, not much to say so far, how easy did we let them score, may as well have stood there waving them through - oh wait!......

Does anyone (despite what they say) believe the owners etc. actually want to progress in this competition........ ;hmm
  • Because they aren't used to playing together, Lukerz. That's what I mean by 'scratch'.
  • No good having a CF if you can't find him, and we haven't done that.
  • AdMe - that's what annoys me.

All the big talk and stadium.

What would progress us is money and European football. They've gambled on relying on an Argentine, Valencia and a kid to get us through a two legged play-off.
This discussion has been closed.