Astra - Home - Thursday 25th August - Europa League 2nd Leg

1-1 after the first leg. Can we do it?

Expect us to be fairly comfortable. The pitch we played on in the 1st le was awful. Should
suit us much better at 'home'.

COYI

Comments

• ----------------Randy------------------
    ---------------------------------------
    Byram-----Oxford----Ogbonna------Burke
    ----------Obiang---Nordveit-------------
    Tore-----------Browne----------Antonio
    ---------------Fletcher------------------

Subs:
    Adrian, Reid, Collins, Noble, Kouyate, Calleri, Martinez
  • Can't really argue with that line up Twist, much as I'd like to ;wink
  • Although I think Bilic though Dimi might be on the bench for this ;hmm
  • Not too sure what SB's plan will be with the returning players (it would be good for Lanzini and Payet to get a run out) and the upcoming MCFC match, but I'd probably go for:-

-------------------RANDY-----------------------
    ---BURKE----COLLINS(c)---OXFORD----OGBONNA----
    --------------OBIANG--NORDVEIDT----------------
    ------VALENCIA------LANZINI---------PAYET-------
    -------------------FLETCHER---------------------

Subs: Adrian, Byram, Noble, Browne, Calleri, Tore, Samuelsen.
  • Don't think Lanzini or Payet will feature and I don't think Lanzini will feature at City most probably after the Intl Break. Payet might get some game time for City.
  • RANDY
    BYRAM - OXFORD - OGBONNA - BURKE
    NOBLE - OBIANG - NORDVEIT
    ANTONIO - CALLERI - TORE

SUB: Adrian, Collins, Reid, Kouyate, Payet, Valencia, Fletcher

Think Bilic has made his decision that he's prioritising this competition a priority can't see too many changes from the first leg

Maybe Nordveit dropped for Fletcher and go 4-4-2 or Oxford, who struggled in the first leg, pushed into midfield

Think we should have enough Calleri will be more used to his team mates and Tore is getting better with each game

Midfield looks sharper as well so early should be able to control the game
  • Oxford needs to stay at CB, he needs to learn his trad during a game not be moved about.
  • I hope Calleri starts. Pretty much not fussed about the rest of the team. I want to see what the man can do.
  • Well, we know what he can't ;wink
  • edited August 2016
    not score with only the keeper to beat Herb or did I miss something else ;whistle
  • That's about it steve ;lol
  • Randolph
    Byram - Oxford - Ogbonna - Burke
    Antonio - Noble - Obiang - Tore
    Calleri - Valencia
  • Randolph
    Byram - Oxford - Ogbonna - Burke
    Antonio - Noble - Obiang - Tore
    Calleri - Anyone but Valencia

Fixed it for you ;ok
  • One of the CBs needs to keep the guy who scored quiet. Outside of that, they didnt pose much of a threat. Hopefully we'll be sharper, kill them off and then experience what its like to do the Euro group thang ;biggrin
  • Would Noble be able to play again, having just played 3 games in 7 days and a 4th in 10?.
    Of course I want him to play, but with Man City coming soon after, it might just be too much?.
  • edited August 2016
    With Valencia it's a case of getting the most out of him for the minute. Carroll and Ayew are crocked and Sakho unavailable, so until (if) we sign a new striker, Valencia is our first XI forward. I wouldn't want to be throwing Fletcher into the first XI and relying on him just yet, and Calleri is going to need an adjustment period.

So the only time Enner has vaguely resembled a PL forward was back in the days we deployed the 4-4-2 diamond and he played up top with Sakho. Not in behind, not on his own, not on the wing and not as a front three, but in a genuine two. So why don't we go back to that and see if we can force him into some form?

Not sure what other choice we have?
  • bazWHUusa said:

One of the CBs needs to keep the guy who scored quiet.

Distract him with a ;porkpie
  • Payet needs to play if only for few minutes ,, just this monkey off our back.
  • Astra lost 5-1 on sunday.
    Get team to watch video, apply similar tactics, smash them.
    Hopefully we wont make hard work of it.
    Agree about Noble, need to rotate midfield squad a bit.
    Keep him on the subs bench.
    coyi
  • image, why does Payet have to play? If you think it would mean he is the cup-tied, I have to disappoint you, as the count starts anew once the group phase starts. That is why Masuaku can't play for us against Astra (he played for Olympiakos) but would be eligible should we go through to the group phase.

IF Payet i carrying a knock then rest him. Put him on the bench to keep Astra worrying but don't play him. I dare say our squad should look better once the international break is over.
  • Slav after the Bournemouth game:
    "The game against Astra Giurgiu [next Thursday in the Europa League] is more important than the Manchester City one [next Sunday]. If we lose to Astra, we’re out of Europe but you can make up results in the Premier League."
    Expect to see as strong a side as he can field. Think at least one of Lanzini or Payet will get game time, possibly both.
  • Bring Payet on if we are chasing the game. No need to start him really.

Randolph

Burke Oxford Ogbonna Byram

Obiang Kouyate

Antonio Samuelson Tore

Calleri
  • image, why does Payet have to play? If you think it would mean he is the cup-tied, I have to disappoint you, as the count starts anew once the group phase starts. That is why Masuaku can't play for us against Astra (he played for Olympiakos) but would be eligible should we go through to the group phase.

IF Payet i carrying a knock then rest him. Put him on the bench to keep Astra worrying but don't play him. I dare say our squad should look better once the international break is over.

Is that so ;yercoat
  • I'm afraid so, image. I'm not even sure if playing in the Europa League would cup tie a player for the Champions' League. However, given the way we have been playing without him I would think that the owners will see it is PL harakiri to sell him.
  • It's live on BT Sport. ;wahoo
  • If we get through this every game will be live on BT Sport ;wahoo
  • Herb

Where did you see that?

It's not on the BT site atm.
This discussion has been closed.