I won't stand for this - The thread all about standing at the OS.

Comments

• Grey, yes that is what I was saying.

• For the outside I feel like Bradys reaction is partly to protect loss of face as this should have been foreseen in the stadium move planning.

I hope it gets work out without Fans turning on each other, which seems to be were we are at the moment.
  • The stewarding and making people sit down, is down to the LDDC the stadium operators so if they want you to sit down you will have to or face the wrath of the stewards.
  • I'm pretty sure this will change nothing and the majority in certain sections of the ground will still stand.

So now its even harder to get a ticket for those who have paid for a £40 membership.

Did the club really think every single fan in the stadium would sit down and eat popcorn?
  • So now its even harder to get a ticket for those who have paid for a £40 membership.
    Because of the actions of a selfish minority, not the club's fault.

I'm pretty sure that after the first set of fans have their ST's cancelled, the rest will get the idea.

With a 50 000 waiting list, it isn't going to be hard for the club to resell them, is it?
  • Ok, I'm against the standing. But that selfish minority haven't had the opportunity to show they will sit down since the briefing from Brady, have they? Seems like this should have happened if the fans hadn't listened to that request.
  • It was reused after the Domzale game and people still stood against Juve.
    It's easy to implement, you march the front row out and the 2nd and subsequent rows will sit. The club know who you are and can give s final warning.
    A bit harsh I know but it could happen
  • Shocked at most of the comments on here. Standing isn't some selfish minority - around a 1/4 of fans stood for the whole game at upton park - everyone knew the BML And STBL stood, as did the chicken run and Chav corner.

It would be foolish to move to those areas and expect to sit , as it would to move to the west stand and expect to stand . Thus pattern is very common throughout football stadiums ... Standing isn't illegal atall, stadiums must just have a seat for every person. Standing is much better for creating an atmosphere, which many on here were quick to bemoan on here last few seasons.

Club should also have prepared for this by having a designated family section at the OS like other stadiums. Saying that plenty of kids around me stand on chairs and have a great time .

I think the 57000 limit by council is more linked to ensuring transport and stewarding runs smoothly at this capacity first - rather than the standing issue - otherwise surely there would be a direct quote from council rather than more scaremongering from Brady who wants to continue the gentrification of our club it seems.

Labelling standers a selfish minority is childish, I have a season ticket in BML Snd everyone stands but for cup games where I have been in west stand or upper tiers I would never stAnd as wouldn't want to obstruct view of those less able , so ofc not condoning selfish minority of those who stand in these areas !

Bit of an essay!! Coyi
  • edited August 2016
    Does anyone know who is on the London Stadium Safety Advisory Group? I suppose its someone from the club (Brady at a guess) with representatives from VENCI, LLDC, Met Police, LFEPA and LB of Newham.
  • Sorry, Alig, but I don't agree that

Labelling standers a selfish minority is childish,
    Whatever the old way of doing things, it has changed now, and that's that.

My 'selfish' comment referred to the fact that they were asked not to persistently stand, and warned of the consequences, yet chose to ignore the warnings.

As a result, 3 000 less fans get tickets for Bournemouth.

I stick by the view that

I'll do what I want, and no one tells me otherwise

is a selfish attitude.

'It's not illegal' is an irrelevant argument. It is against the stadium regulations, and that is all that matters. If the stadium owners and the local council insist upon fans not persistently standing, then that is what will have to happen.

Perhaps those who will not tolerate being told not to persistently stand could negotiate with the club for a refund of their STs?
  • I think that naturally over time the stadium will sort back into standing areas and sitting areas, and they are just making sure they are seen to be cracking down on standing for the first few weeks - I think if we fast forward a year it will have settled dons and many areas wil stand still which is vital for a good atmosphere.

I don't think the standers are to blame for the 3,000 less seats I think that's a cop out and was probably always the councils plan to see how the transport links and stewards coped with additional numbers. If they were punishing us for standing they wouldn't have increased the allowance atall .

If people really think standing is selfish then any comments about quiet atmosphere will be mute cos that will be the result.
  • Yes the standers are to blame - the statement says so.

We have, in the past, had away allocation cut as a result of standing.

• edited August 2016
    it seems to need laying out again and again ...

The Boleyn Has Gone
    The so called standing areas at the Boleyn have also gone
    This is a new Stadium - not run by WHU Stewards
    It is an new all seater ground - like the Emirates - Which also has a no standing policy
    The fact that you can stand at certain other grounds is irrelevant, they are in the same situation the Boleyn was in - a 'tradition' of standing in certain areas - blind eye turned to it. If there are new stadia built the same allseater rules will apply to get a licence to operate.

There is no such' Tradition' at the OS because those areas no longer exist, and 'standers' cannot expect their normal behaviour to be condoned, even if they think they are in roughly the same place in the new ground. There are no direct comparisons or equivalents - the OS is a different shape for a start.
    There are an extra 20k season ticket holders, a large majority bought their ticket expecting to sit and be able to see the game - thats a 2 third increase.
    Some people will lose their ST's
    (They did it at the Clock end at Old Trafford after renovation when I was living in Manchester, and over 200 persistent 'standers' lost their season tickets in the first season following redevelopment- at Old Trafford !!! - (where somebody has to die for you to even get on the waiting list.))

It will take a couple of years to sort out - but not this season - people will have to sit in the end I think.

I dont agree with all seater myself - and I do believe that fans should have the option, but the OS was redeveloped with the current safety rules in mind, and the sight lines are shallow, and not designed for standing alongside sitting.
  • edited August 2016

Sunday’s match against Bournemouth will now take place in front of 57,000 fans after talks between the London Stadium Safety Advisory Group (LSSAG), Newham Council in which it was concluded that too many home fans had been standing during matches.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-forced-to-limit-london-stadium-capacity-to-57000-for-bournemouth-game-over-standing-fears-a3322336.html
    alig

If they were punishing us for standing they wouldn't have increased the allowance atall .
    Don't really understand the logic of that.

Permission to make the capacity 60 000 was given before we ever had a game there.

The capacity should have been 60 000, it is now 57 000 - that's a reduction, not an increase.

Time will tell, but I think those used to standing have yet to grasp that it is not the club pushing this, but the stadium operators, and I can't think of any reason why they would relax their stance on this issue.
  • As the stadium is a 'multi purpose' venue it makes it awkward to fit the safe standing rails as when it is in use for athlecs the rails would impair the view. Easiest thing is to buy the stadium outright ;biggrin
  • If everyone continues to stand in certain areas you really think they will ban everyone ? Time will tell but there will be uproar ... Ah well I suppose we should all just sit quietly eat popcorn snd resign ourselves to becoming a corporate club like arsenal

The club doesn't care and won't push for safe standing cos they will be cheaper and are already selling out the stadium
  • edited August 2016

If everyone continues to stand in certain areas you really think they will ban everyone ?

Yes. They will ban as many as it takes to persuade the fans to behave appropriately. Which imo won't be that many, in the end. People will give it large about not accepting it, and will sign as many on-line petitions as you like, but in the end, only a tiny minority will actually cut their nose off to spite their faces.

Ah well I suppose we should all just sit quietly eat popcorn

Ah, the creation of a false dichotomy.

No-one is saying you have to sit down all the time and eat popcorn. It isn't an either/or.

The club doesn't care and won't push for safe standing cos they will be cheaper and are already selling out the stadium

Others will know more about this than I do - but hasn't the club explored this and found it a non-starter?

And even if they haven't, isn't it too late now to do anything about it? ;hmm

(And as an aside, why would it be thought a good idea for the club to push ahead with things that will cut our budget ... how is that going to help, exactly?)
  • I don't ever write long comments, but as the standing issue has affected me personally I though I would give my views.

As a non-season ticket holder my only chance of seeing West Ham is to wait each game to see what tickets are left. I have very little choice in terms of where I can get a seat as I always take my two children and need three together. Fortunately for them (and me) they are now old enough and just about tall enough to cope with standing for long periods if necessary. This is exactly what happened when we saw the game against Domzale, as the 5 or 6 rows in front of us were standing giving us no alternative other than to stand (or watch the back of someone).

The notion that I (and others) may have had an idea of where to buy tickets to sit (and not stand) based on the fact that at the Boleyn there were standing areas that were going to be similar at the new stadium seem wrong to me. It is a new stadium, we took our chances, we had to stand and we dealt with it. Unfortunately others found it harder; smaller children for example.

It is not right that people may be put off from going to a game because they fear they may spend money only to have an obscured view as people are standing. It's bad enough when you have a 6ft 6 someone in front of you anyway.

I hope this can be sorted. I expect that over time 'natural standing areas' may appear as people swap season tickets etc. although it does seem that at the present time standing is deemed unsafe and possibly illegal anyway, and anyone not following guidance may well be removed.

Here's hoping that a solution can be achieved where those non-season ticket holders get a chance to have a seat wher they know they can see the game they paid for and not have to stand or be surprised they have to stand once the whistle has blown to start the game.
  • And on the subject of petitions, I see the one linked to in the first post on pg 1 is up to about 250 supporters.
  • They won't ban everyone mrs g though you are completely wrong, people around me all reviewed similar letters threatening this a few years ago and nothing happened.

Obv was exaggerating about everyone eating popcorn but are you really looking forward to a stadium where everyone is sat down apart from the away fans , cos they certainly won't be sat.

It will always be a non starter unless the clubs really push for it - as I've said they won't because they care about money unless... People protest .. By continuing to stand .

Do you go to many games mrs g
  • The OS is never going to be a football only venue, as far as I'm aware there's no interest in safe standing for athletics, cricket or any other event LLDC/VENCI might wish to put on there so safe standing is a complete non-starter.
  • Why wasn't people on here against standing at Upton Park? ;hmm
  • Exeter I feel for you but feel that's more the club fault for all the plus 2 season ticket sells meaning not enough tickets are left for general sale for you to have more choice ..
    In upton park thee were always plenty of seats together in west stand even at general sale.
  • They won't ban everyone mrs g though you are completely wrong, people around me all reviewed similar letters threatening this a few years ago and nothing happened.

The key difference this time is that the club is a tenant, and has to abide by its tenancy conditions. I think it would be a mistake for fans to brush this aside on the grounds that nothing happened last time.

Furthermore, as long as the licence is capped at 57,000 (and not raised to 60,000 as planned) that is 3,000 ticket sales every single game that the club is missing out on. (And potentially 6,000 ticket sales per match, if the cap is lowered again to the old 54,000, not to mention any other financial penalties they may incur for breach of licence conditions - I don't know if there is anything in the contract about that).

As you say, time will tell.

But I think it is you who will turn out to be wrong. ;biggrin
  • Exeter I feel for you but feel that's more the club fault

All irrelevant about whose fault.

I'm sure the folks who have paid out their hard earned money for tickets, travel etc, and end up not being able to see, will be massively consoled by being able to blame the club. ;wink
  • Well exactly then mrs g if they are worried about missing out on precious 3000 ticket sales rather than keeping people who have been going for years and years happy then it proves my point that it's all about the money for them.
    And about standers being selfish ... Before last season there were always tickets available on general sale and often had a few 100 below capacity... Now we can host more than 20,000 more fans even if capped at 57000...?

So who's being selfish people that think they have right to get a ticket on general sale now when they didn't come to upton park , or standers who have been going for years and create a better atmosphere for everyone ?
  • edited August 2016

Why wasn't people on here against standing at Upton Park? ;hmm

From my point of view, I knew where to buy and not buy tickets when I took my children to Upton park. Tickets were often difficult to get, but I knew they would be able to see from the seats I bought.

I was hoping with the extra capacity, I might get to see more games at the new stadium. I am not so sure now.
  • I'm not talking about people wanting to be consoled .. It's just poor planning from the club ... When people went to their booking appointment and asked for equivalent seats ... So everyone in chicken run went equivalent area etc did the club really not think everyone would then just sit in that new area ?

They sold too many season tickets, didn't have a family section, and made too many people not get an equivalent area by allowing too many plus 2's... And now they're facing lots of fans fighting amongst each other ... and before people say it's only a few standing fans moaning ... Look at other fans forums e.g kumb and you'll find there are a LOT more unhappy fans than what you think ... As I said , a quarter of upton park stood.