The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• edited February 2017
    ;scarvwal

I try, too, Dodger. ;ok

(I used to be bilingual in English and another language, mainly as a result of immersion - which circumstances here and now preclude.)
  • I was reading the other day that Garage has a German wife.

Christmas with the family in law must be interesting.

Maybe they are from the right of the German polictical spectrum, in which case it is probably a love-in.
  • MrsGrey said:

Speaking to CPAC, Farage declares, 'Our real friends in the world speak English.'

;doh ;angry

He is just vile.

This was what Farage was always after, get the UK out of Europe and turn it into the 51st state

I was reading the other day that Garage has a German wife.

Christmas with the family in law must be interesting.

Him and the wife are separated, he's now got some French woman living with him
  • Aslef, Le Pen?.?
  • edited February 2017
    Laure Ferrari, a member of DLF, a minor right wing party that split from the UMP (now calling themselves Les Republicains) which is the French Tories.

Not to be confused with KLF who were Justified and Ancient (all bound for Mu Mu land)
  • "He has the defeated look of someone who has tried and failed to get a friend to leave Mama Mia at the interval"

Now that made me laugh out loud, none of this LOL nonsense, I mean really laugh out loud.

;bowdown
  • So many great observations, ones that would usually get him trolled as a member of the London elite, were he not from Glasgow.

Frankie is highly intelligent and writes with real insight on so many different issues but sadly many think he is no more than a modern day Jim Davidson as it is the questionable jokes at people like Katie Price's expense which shape public opinion about him as more get to hear about them than will read his political pieces.
  • I don't have time to go back and find which page we were discussing it on, but the 'election fraud' issue has inched forward a bit.

The police investigation into the Tory candidates' possible election fraud in the general election has (in some cases) concluded. Files on 10 cases have been passed to the CPS who will now decide whether or not to prosecute.

This could, possibly, lead to some results being declared void, and byelections being called.

(Some other investigations are still ongoing.)
  • And in other news, despite the PM declaring that a bad deal with the EU would be worse than leaving with no deal, it transpires she has absolutely no basis for saying that because the govt haven't actually done an economic impact assessment of a no-deal scenario.

;doh

• In other news Theresa May in response to Nicloa Sturgeons request for a referendum in Scotland remarked that this would not be a good idea as it would be divisive and bad for the economy! ;doh
  • MrsGrey ;clap
    although I fear you're hitting your head against the proverbial brick wall if you imagine facts will have any effect on Brexiteers' opinions.

This Tory farce of a government would be steaming full ahead into the iceberg all the while assuring us "don't worry, it'll move aside when it sees we're serious" ;biggrin
  • Really happy for Holland if the early results are accurate as it seems they have dodged the bullet and will not be the next to fall after Brexit and Trump victories, Wilders has polled more than you would have hoped but it seems no where near enough to gain a victory or even the credibility he sought.

France next and hopefully Le Pen will also fail.
  • edited March 2017
    The problem for Wilders and the PVV is that its far easier for the centre right VVD to form coalitions with the other centre right and centrist parties. If necessary the VVD can even do deals with the centre left who wouldn't touch Wilders with a barge pole.

There are a couple of smaller far right parties but they only get two or three seats each in the Dutch parliament so Wilders and his lot are pretty much isolated.
  • In other news Theresa May in response to Nicloa Sturgeons request for a referendum in Scotland remarked that this would not be a good idea as it would be divisive and bad for the economy! ;doh

I do look forward to the moment May has to go around Scotland explain why leaving a long standing partnership with your strongest trading allies is a bad idea and will hurt them economically, while at the same time explain that the whole of the UK doing that is in fact a great idea and will mean that we will be better off.
  • edited March 2017
    So, Theresa May doesn't do irony, it would seem.

When asked why she is blocking a referendum for Scotland (until after Brexit, at least, and possibly forever), she said

I think it would not be fair to the people of Scotland because they’d be being asked to take a crucial decision without the necessary information, without knowing what the future partnership will be or what the alternative of an independent Scotland would look like.

• edited March 2017
    Mooj, MrsGrey ;lol ;lol
    See my previous post; Theresa May, the reincarnation of Brian Rix ;biggrin

ps. is that semi-colon correct? ;biggrin
  • George Osborne will be the new editor of the Evening Standard, promising
    We will judge what the government, London’s politicians and the political parties do against this simple test: is it good for our readers and good for London? If it is, we’ll support them. If it isn’t, we’ll be quick to say so.
    Osborne thought that Joanna Lumley's Garden Bridge was good for London and gave it £30m of taxpayers' money.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear........
  • They described him as "London through and through".

Remind me of where his constituency is again?

Does he remain MP while a journalist?
  • His constituency might be in Cheshire but he has little connection with the area, he grew up in the posh bit of Notting Hill, went to school at St. Paul's in Barnes, the third most expensive school in the UK after Eton and Harrow (the other Bullingdon Club members called him Oik).

He says he can edit the Standard in the morning and attend parliament in the afternoon/evening, not sure if his constituents will agree with him....

He wanted to be a journalist when he left Oxford, got turned down by the Times and the Economist before doing a bit of freelancing for the Telegraph. Now he's got a whole newspaper to play with!
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/17/george-osborne-london-evening-standard-editor-appointment-evgeny-lebedev

The headline is just further indication of how the Brexit referendum result was manipulated, along with all the readers of the right wing press.
  • NE, manipulation of "the people" to further the aims of "the rulers" is nothing new. And if I were on Twitter I would be starting a new hashtag: #thanksgeorge. Because he has confirmed to me beyond words what politicians are all about. Themselves. If you think fake news is new, this was written over 125 years ago:

......the millions spent on propagating pernicious doctrines by means of the press, and news "cooked" in the interest of this or that party, of this politician or that group of speculators.

Not a lot has changed really....................
  • ... we still make generalisations about whole groups of people. ;wink
  • "people" is stretching it a bit.......................
  • ;biggrin
  • Madcap - are you saying that anyone who enters politics does so out of self interest? I was elected as a union health and safety representative, did I do that to advance my situation rather than because I was interested in safety at my workplace? I'm a Labour Party member, did I join in order to personal enrich myself in some way?
  • I joined the Labour Party because we get Jaffa cakes with our tea at meetings ;tea ;ok
  • The new problem of the age old tactic of using information and news providers as a means to manipulate the masses for the agenda of the ruling class is that due to social media and the masses love affair with it anyone can enter the fray and have a go, which is what has happened. Populism is really about a new ability to manipulate through new channels and new peoples abilities to enter what was a closed room. Donald Trump, a man with no previous experience of public office is now POTUS. Brexit would have been unthinkable moments before it even happened and the tide only seems to have turned (hopefully) with the recent Dutch general election, in part I feel due to what happened in the UK and US alerting people to the fact that regardless of how Dave Cameron and Don Trump treated it, that politic is not a game, that the negotiation of power needs taking seriously as there are potentially massive consequences.

My hope is that the French will reject Le Pen and then the only casualties will have been likely ourselves and temporarily the US, they may have to wait four years to vote him out but may get rid sooner if the first 3 months are anything to go by. With regard ourselves it would be hard to argue we don't deserve what's coming due to the way May, Boris etc have conducted themselves in joining in the red white and blue street party, the price to the tory decision to protect their party and act as though the referendum of June 23rd trumped very other single consideration and argument. One of the greatest casualties here and the US is dialogue and the divisions will last a longer than Osbourne's new job I feel sure.
This discussion has been closed.