The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• I notice Nicola Sturgeon has thrown her hat into the legal case now, I suspect it is a strategical entry to provide her more leverage for Scotland to be treated differently from the rest of the UK within negotiations, but not sure the EU would accept that at all, or just provide a context for winning a new independence referendum against a UK imposing a hard brexit upon them.

Aslef - I didn't get chance to continue our discussion yesterday as I had to go out. I just wanted to ask why you thought Unite included Ed Milliband literature in every ballot paper to unite members in 2010?

I know you have said it didn't make much difference as half voted for someone else but another way of spinning that is that he got as many votes as all the other candidates put together from Unite members, and this made the difference as his victory was 50.65% to 49.35%. Do you think the Unite vote made the difference?

• edited November 2016

Aslef - I didn't get chance to continue our discussion yesterday as I had to go out. I just wanted to ask why you thought Unite included Ed Milliband literature in every ballot paper to unite members in 2010?

I know you have said it didn't make much difference as half voted for someone else but another way of spinning that is that he got as many votes as all the other candidates put together from Unite members, and this made the difference as his victory was 50.65% to 49.35%. Do you think the Unite vote made the difference?

Obviously Unite and GMB wanted to encourage their members to vote for Ed although it wasn't particularly effective. Only about 10% of Unite's members actually voted while GMB had even less success, like Unite roughly half the members who voted back Ed but only around 6% bothered. How much effect the advertising had is debateable, Ed got 40% with the other big union Unison but with some smaller unions like the builders union UCATT he got around 60%.

Without actually asking people "did you vote for Ed because your union sent you a leaflet/envelope backing him" there is no way of knowing, personally I suspect most people who voted had made their mind up before they received their ballot paper but then I think the power of advertising is grossly overestimated
  • I was trying to think if this would have any effect on the brexit issue and I think it could. Trump won on the same card as Brexit to a large extent, which was make America great again, anti- immigration and drawing inwards, I think leave and trump were much the same campaigns to a large extent and found support in similar groups of people, and I think this is what is most significant.

I feel that brexit and the Trump victory was pulled off by a unique occurrence which was getting white working class voting alongside the harder right, just as with brexit many areas that would never have voted Tory voted alongside typical Tory areas to tip the balance, likewise trump won by converting democratic areas to trump voting areas, white working class that would never usually vote repuclican.

This now shows a framework for winning an election which is appeal to working class voters from an anti immigration and anti elite position, this could effect us as France will vote next year and Le Pen and the national front will know that this is their ticket to win, the other parties know that should they allow us to even look like benefitting from Brexit in the meantime they are finished. I feel we should not trigger until those elections are over. There are of course German elections but they wouldn't would they? but I said that about Brexit and Trump so I have given up think anything impossible.
  • NEoldiron said:

Even the video is bigoted as well as racist towards dogs ;biggrin

Is it worth starting a new thread for this subject? Trump that is, not the dog. ;biggrin

;ok

Had thought to, but wanted to see if it would just be a couple of comments, or be of wider interest.

Thread will be split imminently.
  • Most feel it wouldn't because everyone knows her negotiating position already just as we know the EU position, if anyone is unsure, the UK's is to be able to take back a sizeable amount of control on immigration whilst maintaining the maximum access to free trade, the EU's is to retain the four freedoms in return for access to trade so more countries do not feel they can pick and choose what suits them.

C&B - That maybe their stance and official position at this time but there are Customs Unions in place with other Non-EU Countries and even other European states (Turkey, San Marino, Andorra for example) where free trade is agreed but some or all of the others do not apply, so there is a precedent established.

WTO regulations (GATT) apply to Customs Unions, can't say I have read them fully or fully understand some of the conditions, but it does mention in some of the clauses about restrictions that could cause issues with or restrict other trading agreements not being allowed. So if the UK could prove that by the EU insisting on the other three freedoms being included is damaging to or placing restrictions on our other trade agreements or ability to trade, particularly as they already have agreements where they have not insisted, I would think they would not have a leg to stand on if the UK launched a legal challenge - only my opinion based on limited knowledge, not a hard fact, just conjecture.
  • Just read this on the Beeb: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37995606 and this bit stuck out .....
    the European Parliament's lead negotiator on Brexit, Guy Verhofstadt, tweeted: "Can't wait to negotiate with @BorisJohnson, so that I can read him Article 3 of the Treaty of Rome."
    So I thought I would go have a look ..... The Treaty of Rome, officially the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community (EEC) originally established in 1957, since its signature, the treaty's name has been retrospectively amended on several occasions. The Maastricht Treaty of 1992 removed the word "economic" from the Treaty of Rome's official title and, in 2009, the Treaty of Lisbon renamed it the "Treaty on the functioning of the European Union".

I think Mr Verhofstadt is referring to this, which is part three not article three:

Part Three. Community Policies

TITLE III. FREE MOVEMENT OF PERSONS, SERVICES AND CAPITAL

CHAPTER 1. WORKERS

Article 48.

1. Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured within the Community by the end of the transitional period at the latest.

2. Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States as regards employment, remuneration and other conditions of work and employment.

3. It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health:
    (a) to accept offers of employment actually made;
    (b) to move freely within the territory of Member States for this purpose;
    (c) to stay in a Member State for the purpose of employment in accordance with the provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law, regulation or administrative action;
    (d) to remain in the territory of a Member State after having been employed in that State, subject to conditions which shall be embodied in implementing regulations to be drawn up by the Commission.

4. The provisions of this Article shall not apply to employment in the public service.

So the first point is the Treaty of Rome is specifically a document that applies to the EU. The second one is that throughout Article 48 it clearly identifies this applies to Member States.

Once Article 50 is triggered to begin our separation from the EU then unless we agree otherwise (which means a lot of negotiation and amendment of EU Treaties and other governance documents) then the Treaty of Rome will not apply any longer as we will ultimately no longer be a Member State of the EU. I am sure @Borisjohnson (or one of the other members of the negotiation team) will point this out to Mr Verhofstadt and any other EU ministers/Bureaucrats who believe this puts them in a strong negotiation position.

Is it just me or does it seem like they have completely missed the point/implications (or blindly ignoring them) of the leave vote and exit of Britain from the EU. If we are no longer a Member State of the EU how can the Treaty of Rome and others like it apply to the UK? I can't see how it can, hence the need for negotiated agreements. The EU may want and try to force us to keep the free movement of people but it is ultimately up to us what that will entail - there is no reason there cannot be conditions attached including tighter immigration controls (which is all that was wanted pre the leave vote, if they had agreed there would have been a remain victory). And before you say it, yes it would have applied both ways.

Also I notice that the Bureaucrats and Civil Servant of the EU put in a nice little bit of protection ( 4. Above - which is in itself discriminatory) for their own jobs, can't have people from other EU countries taking their jobs now can they.........
  • I think there are two different options of negotiation, the first is where the negotiation is only regarding tying up loose ends with regard contributions made etc and disentangling the two entities, there is however no new agreement on future arrangements within this, so we leave and become exactly as any other nation, who then apply for a trade deal with the EU which will then most likely take many years.

What is hoped by the UK is that the talks will also involve the new agreement and making a bespoke seamless deal so that there is no point in which we find ourselves with trade tariffs and the all important ability to trade services within the financial industry.

What whatshisname is pointing out is that the idea that you can have the free trade without the free movement is non negotiable, which it surely is as it would involve all 27 members to agree treaty change.

Boris will do what worked in the referendum and just promise outcomes so to shape the narrative he offers to people to believe , he will tell us we will get a deal right up to the point we don't, just as the NHS will be safe right up until it isn't.

• I was trying to think if this would have any effect on the brexit issue and I think it could. Trump won on the same card as Brexit to a large extent, which was make America great again, anti- immigration and drawing inwards, I think leave and trump were much the same campaigns to a large extent and found support in similar groups of people, and I think this is what is most significant.

I feel that brexit and the Trump victory was pulled off by a unique occurrence which was getting white working class voting alongside the harder right, just as with brexit many areas that would never have voted Tory voted alongside typical Tory areas to tip the balance, likewise trump won by converting democratic areas to trump voting areas, white working class that would never usually vote repuclican.

This now shows a framework for winning an election which is appeal to working class voters from an anti immigration and anti elite position, this could effect us as France will vote next year and Le Pen and the national front will know that this is their ticket to win, the other parties know that should they allow us to even look like benefitting from Brexit in the meantime they are finished. I feel we should not trigger until those elections are over. There are of course German elections but they wouldn't would they? but I said that about Brexit and Trump so I have given up think anything impossible.

C&B, spot on. For 40+ years the Western World has carried out an agenda that runs contrary to the desires, hopes and needs of the majority of ordinary, normal people. There is a masterplan that favours the rich, big business and the huge, wasteful, monolithic structures "needed" to oversee its "smooth" operation. The issues of jobs,industry and immigration have been bubbling under the surface for years and anyone that has expressed concerns is dismissed as racist and narrow minded. We have been told that we must follow market forces as these are the only true arbiters of truth and justice. Well if any market can be skewed and distorted by huge fluctuations in currency at the whim of a single person then the argument for free markets falls flat instantly.
    If an area in the Amazon rain forest was being systematically stripped, if a huge multinational was opening up mines, building towns to house its workers and driving out the indigenous population we would be up in arms. Why? Surely this is progress, there are huge mineral and oil reserves, an unproductive area is now producing riches, it has brought jobs (for outsiders) and a retail park containing all the usual suspects. Whats not to like? Is it because the jobs are not going to the local people, an area is now free of indigenous people, and their needs and wishes were not considered? I`m sure Lily Allen, Geldof, Lineker and Michael Moore would have plenty to say. Well whats the difference between an area of the Amazon and an area stripped of its traditional industry in The Rhondda, Birmingham, or Sunderland. Are the people here not indigenous, do their hopes and desires not count? Obviously not, because for 40 years people in all countries of the Western World have been ignored and the agendas of the rich, the powerful and the governments that represent them (of whatever political persuasion) have been pursued, regardless. People have swallowed this for so long and now bitten back.
    Now I may sound like a typical Trump or Farage voter "Jobs, immigrants, nationalism, country great again etc etc etc" but I`m not. Trump and Farage would have been quite happy for traditional industries to move abroad, quite happy in the pursuit of profit for production to move to China, India, Taiwan, in fact anywhere if a quick buck could be made. From my point of view this should never, ever been allowed to happen, we should have fought tooth and nail to protect our jobs, our industries, our infrastructure, our manufacturing base. But we didn`t, we allowed the ruling, liberal, free market ideology to override any sensible decisions or courses of action we, or any other country, would have in the normal course of events chosen to take. It is not a free market and never can be if someone, somewhere, is prepared (coerced through necessity) to work a sixteen hour day for a bowl of rice.
    Trying to force people, from above, to conform to an overriding set of ideas or ideologies does not work, and the more centralised that power base becomes, the greater the number of people it has under its control, the more likely it is to fail, it is inevitable. "You can`t please all the people all the time".
    Decisions need to be taken at as local a level as is practicably possible. Areas, countries, states, whatever terminology you use, need to look, as far as is practicably possible, at making things again. Becoming self sufficient, relying as little as possible on imports. This means starting small again, and will not be easy, but the drive for "bigger", "better" has been a disaster for all but the very richest, the people that tell us we need bigger and better. Start listening to local people, with local concerns and issues (however unhip these concerns and issues may appear to Mr Geldof) and we may halt the slide towards the far right. People want to work, or have the choice to work, and not in Mcdonalds, or Tescos, or a call centre on zero hours contracts, people want security and to feel valued. Good local jobs and services for local people is not right wing, or nationalistic, or racist, it`s common sense, look after what is in front of you and spread what is right and good by mutual agreement, across town lines, county lines, national borders, but by what is agreeable to all parties, not just the few, and not via dictats from Brussels.
    Neither Trump or Farage are the answer, but what they have identified, is the huge disconnect between politicians and their ideals and "normal people" and their ideals. Politicians need to stop speaking (most of it is drivel anyway) and start listening.
  • Sorry, also meant to say, I would trigger article 50 as soon as, if there is going to be a significant lurch to the right we need to be well clear. The UK is big enough and tolerant enough to forge our own way, these popular reactions are normally an aberration, particularly in this country. We need to start building again, from the bottom up, and be REALLY inclusive this time. The perceived fear is that we will be left behind in the great global race for more, for better. From what I have seen, this pursuit is self defeating, produce the goods and services (people seem to have forgotten about services) we really NEED, not what we are told we really WANT. I can`t be the only one that thinks modern life is FAR too complicated now, you can
  • above post is incomplete, pressed the wrong button, ten minutes later and fifteen customers..............hey ho..............................

to conclude:

never speak to the right people, get shunted around in an endless cycle of form filling, departments, sub divisions and `helplines" and feel like you achieve very little in the end. We must slash the huge levels of bureaucracy and stop living our lives according to pie charts, graphs and autocratic experts. Start living real lives with real people and make decisions based on need and common good rather than for vested interests and the pursuit of profit. I think we should be brave and take the lead, we will never, ever achieve any of this tied to the economic and political dogma of Brussels. Decisions need to be made for our good, our well being, and that goes for all colours, creeds, religious or sexual orientations. Start doing, and stop the men in grey and their non stop insidious waffle.
  • Madcap, have you ever thought of running for office, ........oh, wait a minute ;biggrin
  • Interesting ;hmm
  • I would be interested in your view on the following Madcap.

Will the working class that have been used to tip the balance in favour of pretty hard right politicians agendas such as Farage and Trump pull back from them and find a natural political ground, or will they become just as irrelevant to politicians as before now they have been used to provide the power craved?

Are there actually enough jobs to go around? or will the new model be that the economy must be large enough and distributed evenly enough to support those left behind? Will radical proposals such as were put forward by Iceland(?) recently in which each citizen is paid a living allowance find favour.
  • C&B - What whatshisname is pointing out is that the idea that you can have the free trade without the free movement is non negotiable, which it surely is as it would involve all 27 members to agree treaty change.
    But they already have a deal with Turkey (and others) for free trade without free movement so it is not impossible and it is negotiable as the precedent has been set - it was not long ago the EU were paying Turkey to keep refugees as well (may still be for all we know). Also the Treaty will not be changing and will not need to change, with the exception that it will no longer apply to the UK as we will no longer be a member state f the EU. I am pretty sure that some other EU trade agreements with other countries around the world do not carry this stipulation (Australia, USA, Canada, those in Asia and South America) but have elements of free trade, so why can't the UK have trade agreements without free movement? What are the EU so worried about if we did? - The break up of the EU? The realisation of the great United States of Europe experiment will not happen? Both are possibilities but there are too many countries involved with a vested interest in it succeeding for it to fail now, however it might be a modified version of what was originally planned.

What will need to happen is a Customs Union agreement on trade that all will have to agree too but this is governed by WTO Rules not EU Rules, so anything the WTO Rules would deem unfair (anything which would restrict our other trade agreements and negotiations) are out and as the EU already have a free trade agreement with Turkey (and others) without free movement it is unfair to insist it is a condition for our trade agreements - why should they be able to pick and choose in a way they say we can't?

At the end of the day all the current political posturing is to set starting points for the negotiation positions - pretty sure when it all gets going sensible heads will prevail and although the end result will not be as harsh or punishing as some want it to be (from both sides) it will be workable and of benefit to both the EU and UK.
  • I would be interested in your view on the following Madcap.

Will the working class that have been used to tip the balance in favour of pretty hard right politicians agendas such as Farage and Trump pull back from them and find a natural political ground, or will they become just as irrelevant to politicians as before now they have been used to provide the power craved?

Are there actually enough jobs to go around? or will the new model be that the economy must be large enough and distributed evenly enough to support those left behind? Will radical proposals such as were put forward by Iceland(?) recently in which each citizen is paid a living allowance find favour.

I don`t see Farage or Trump as hard right, a step towards, but neither (I hope) are looking to form Fascist dictatorships. And I don`t think that the UK will ever go down that route, we are a very conservative lot (with a small c) and too polite to "revolt" either way. Also the class lines are very blurred now, there isn`t the clear distinction between agricultural peasant, factory automaton working all hours for subsistence wages, and the aristocracy etc. And the revolutionaries I am inspired by were writing and postulating their theories 150--200 years ago when life for the vast majority of people was very different. It is worth noting, though, that the majority of "improvements" we all now enjoy were inspired by, and paid for with death and imprisonment, by these people. The most powerful unions in the World were originally formed and run along Anarchist principles with Anarchist aims, agendas and ultimate goals. What has happened in the Western World, for the most part, is that compromises have been made by both sides to the point where most are now happy with their lot, or at least were. My point previously regarding indigenous peoples stands, in so much as, the free market liberals have been so keen to promote their vision of a World, with all its "rightonness" political correctness, diversity, and free market ideology that they have forgotten about their own people. Buying stuff form China, because at that moment in time, it was "cheaper" to do so was incredibly short sighted, and for most parts of the Western World incredibly destructive. There were of course political aims, the only representatives of the "working class" strong enough to challenge the dominance of the state in decision making, were the unions. With the unions severely weakened governments of all persuasions were able to pursue this conservative/liberal agenda of free market enterprise virtually unchallenged, and when things were going well, all looked rosy. But underneath the surface a new stratum of class was developing, and recognised, and that was the "underclass". The underclass, although recognised, have been TOTALLY ignored by all, top, middle, bottom, left and right. The underclass were allowed to develop, and were even pilloried and derided as benefit cheats, scroungers etc etc all at the same time that the people ridiculing and denouncing were fiddling their expenses, dodging their taxes and lining their own pockets rather handsomely. And then the bubble burst. Through their own greed this new "aristocracy" of bankers and corporate multinationals failed, big time. And as ever, who picks up the pieces, who pays? Us. From the very bottom, the new underclass, the "working class", the "middle class". In fact anyone and everyone, through austerity, has been asked to pay except those at the very, very top. In fact those at the very, very top, whilst we have all been paying, have carried on regardless dodging their taxes, lining their pockets and again doing rather nicely. The gap has, and is still, widening between the very richest and very poorest. All under the governance of the smiley liberal elite. And the really funny thing is, I think they thought we hadn`t noticed. But we did, the malcontent of the underclass, working class and now middle class, this amalgam of disbelieving open mouthed head shaking, has actually, finally, revolted. And they don`t like it, they are worried. In fact they are, as a final insult, actually questioning the integrity and mental capacity of the people who voted against them. I find that unbelievable. This will be temporary, this lurch to the right is a reaction to years and years of being ignored. When the politicians finally realise that rather than pursuing ideological grand schemes, rather than following agendas, however they are dressed up, that benefit the few, then a little bit of normality will resume. Trump, Farage, and now May are making the right noises in so much as they are actually addressing the concerns of the masses (whether you agree with these concerns or not is irrelevant) and actually looking at what their own people are saying rather than following simple dogma. If they are in any way successful at addressing these concerns, I.E. real jobs, perceived immigration control, a little bit of fairness etc etc then within a few short years "the masses" will be bumbling along quite nicely again and the elite once more will rest easily in their beds. This will not happen before a few more "shocks" are felt in other countries along the way.

Part 2, re Jobs to follow.
  • There are enough "jobs" and resources Worldwide to go around, it depends on how you define jobs or work. Fourier and Kropotkin defined work very differently to how we currently perceive work. "Work" primarily should be shared equally and more importantly be enjoyable, it should be what (after the necessities have been catered for) we want to do, we should follow our natural inclinations and abilities and perform tasks that we want to freely participate in. This, I know, sounds a little "wooly", but the arguments and logic of "enjoyable" work, plus the theories of input, output and reward espoused by (in particular) Kropotkin are really, really hard to grasp in the context of our modern, complicated World. He, even 120+ years ago, looked at the technological advances of the steam engine, automation in factory and field, and concluded that these advances, and further advances, would be the real catalysts for real social change, the real drivers that could truly emancipate humankind. He envisaged that through technology mankind would have the capabilities to work no more than 4 or 5 hours a day, (and that over a very short working life) to produce enough "stuff" to satisfy the needs of EVERYONE, and then man would be free to pursue the things that really enrich us as human beings, art, literature, music, hobbies, sports, or just the simple pleasures of gathering with family and friends. See as an Anarchist, not a state Communist, he recognised the need, the desire, for luxury, for leisure, but not just as the preserve of the ruling elite. And if you think about it hard, he was/is not wrong, the resources, technology, manpower etc etc are all there, we just haven`t been clever enough to work out a system that enables it. Or perhaps we have, but it would mean the rich and powerful giving up their wealth and power. I know there are questions of "4 or 5 hours a day! how do I pay my mortgage, bills, healthcare etc etc?" This is where people can and will dismiss and scoff. There is no money, and no reward, not in any way that we would understand under modern precepts. Think hard about the "value" of a loaf of bread or a bottle of water, and think hard about the "value" of a Chanel handbag. Think hard about £200,000 per week for a chap who kicks a ball about a field, think hard about a skilled surgeon on £200,000 per year, and think hard about the street cleaner on £20,000 per year. If you really think about our current "logic" of value and reward, of input and output, you will find it really difficult to quantify and justify how we currently measure value and reward, in fact logic doesn`t even come into it. Kropotkin reached the same conclusion, it is impossible when looked at as a whole, to "value" input and output in any meaningful, quantifiable way. The very next question then is what is money? Just out of interest, also ask yourselves the following two questions. For those of you that watch TWD, how is Alexandria actually organised? Common goals, no money, goods and guns held in a common store, all spoils distributed according to need etc etc. I bet no-one has questioned the logic and validity of the system they have CHOSEN to employ. Libertarian Communism. Almost as if it`s natural, normal. Secondly, if you were shipwrecked and washed up on a desert island with 30 friends, think about how you would chose to set up and organise the beginnings of your own society, you may be surprised. I know these are simplifications, and I know this may have very little relevance to the modern World, but these strains of thought do offer radical alternatives. We are currently in a race where the sole objective seems to be to accumulate more and more, and we panic if growth stutters or stalls, we never, ever, ask ourselves if we may have entered the wrong race. In conclusion, if you look at work/jobs from a different perspective there are definitely enough to go around, there are always things to do, it might be though that we need to reassess our concept of "a full days work" and our concepts of reward. If you look at it from the Anarcho Communist perspective of "from each..........to each" then the problems of enough jobs disappears.
  • admeus, depends on what they actually mean by 'free trade' - full access to the single market is what the Dutch guy thought was meant. Turkey is within the customs union, and has negotiated a trade deal with the EU for some products, but isn't part of the single market.

https://fullfact.org/europe/free-trade-outside-eu-customs-union/
  • Mrs G, that is a really useful website, not seen it before. ;ok

Reading that though it does throw up the question of why do we have to make things so complicated. The rules and regulations and the various bodies that oversee international trade seem to be deliberately abstruse. We don`t seem to make it easy for ourselves.

Its Friday

;champagne
  • edited November 2016
    It's worth following the link to "common external tariff" from the link MrsGrey posted.

I don't know how accurate it is to the present situation (since it's from around 2004 at the earliest) but some statements stood out to me:

In the summary at the beginning of the document.
    "However, barriers to trade still remain, in particular in services sectors,
    and the EU’s protection of agriculture is also damaging. This implies
    that there are still greater trade benefits to be reaped from EU
    membership if the UK remains a force for reform in the Union
    ."
    ------------------------

"Growth in trade is considered to be beneficial for a country‟s welfare."

"Although barriers to trade between Member States have been removed,
    agriculture is probably the most protected sector in the European Union in
    terms of external barriers, through the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP).
    The costs of protectionism in this sector are possibly the most damaging to
    economic welfare and provide a good illustration of why the UK should remain
    a force for more outward-looking reforms in the EU
    ."

"Membership of the EU has had a significant and positive effect on trade flows
    between Member States and between the UK and the EU, and welfare
    benefits from this growth in trade do not appear to have been offset by
    significant trade diversion. Trade makes an important contribution to
    efficiency, growth and welfare in the economy. There is potential for further
    trade benefits to be realised from continued integration and reform."

I suppose though that the analysts at the ONS were all pro-EU and those still alive on 23rd June 2016 voted to remain.
  • Thank you for your replies Madcap, an interesting and well researched point of view.

• It gets better and better..... What a laughing stock.... As they discovered in Belgium not having a government for 2 years, actually didn't make difference. Do we need politicians...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-fresh-blow-for-theresa-may-as-supreme-court-rules-scotland-and-wales-can-intervene-in-article-a7424796.html
  • edited November 2016
    NE, running for office? ;nonono ;biggrin

Although:

Thank you for your replies Madcap, an interesting and well researched point of view.

Looking at the length of my answers, and the propensity to go off tangent, I`m not sure I actually answered the questions you originally posed. Although it did seem to make a lot of sense in my head. I think you may be onto something NE.
  • edited November 2016
    Madcap, think about it, I don't know if you speak as well as you write, but if you do .... ;wink ;ok
  • NEold,

The UK have been trying for years now to get the CAP reformed and it is always blocked, amended (watered down) or slowed down by interests in the Countries (France, Germany, Spain & Italy get more then the rest put together) who benefit the most from it - they have been trying to get an agreement since 2013 on major reforms with no avail.

If you look at some of the criticism of it in the past, one that always stuck out for me as a good reason to scrap it and start again was the people who audit the books asking how claims for payments from farms in certain countries (which were paid) exceeded the total actual land mass of farmlands in those countries eligible to claim - and the Commissioners of the EU never investigating to provide a satisfactory answer.

Also it is now the large agri-businesses and big landowners who receive more from the CAP than Europe's small farmers who rely on traditional methods and local markets. About 80% of farm aid goes to about a quarter of EU farmers - those with the largest holdings. So they have formed powerful lobby groups to campaign to prevent any changes to the CAP.

My point being that although the UK has fought for years for trade reforms, with the changes to qualified majority voting and the EU's preference for protectionism the UK is no longer a 'Force' for reform in the EU, particularly as we are not part of the EU project (e.g. not taking the Euro and resistant to further political & financial integration).
  • OCS you're forgetting Slav managed to get us out before we'd fully realised we were actually in. I'm sure many spuds would remind us of that
  • Yeah, but were not a 'big' team.
  • Two good articles here re Brexit. And I think they both explain, although from totally different perspectives, why the UK voted for Brexit and the US voted for Trump.

https://thenorwichradical.com/2016/06/22/vote-leave-brexit-and-the-crisis-of-the-establishment/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-richard-branson-virgin-group-eu-referendum-a7430396.html

From the tone of the second article, I really don`t think that these people understand. "A close friend of both Mr Blair and David Cameron...................."
    We really are only ever offered two sides of the same coin. If Brexit is derailed then everyone for generations to come has nothing to look forward to but the same old, same old. And from my perspective, for the majority of people Worldwide, that has been far from a roaring success. What do these people want, Hilary in The Whitehouse and The UK stuck in Europe? To achieve what exactly? What is the plan from there? To bumble along lurching from one crisis to another and repeat ad nauseum. Marvellous, it makes being a West Ham supporter almost bearable in comparison.
    And Blair wants to return to British politics. As someone, somewhere once said:

"I can be imprisoned for stealing a loaf of bread by a system that is represented by someone who has the blood of thousands on their hands."

Or something like that.

Shakes head and exits slowly stage left...................
This discussion has been closed.