Slaven Bilic named as West Ham Manager (09.06.15)

Comments

• Vorse - interesting. ;ok

So:

Positives:
    Good in the transfer market
    Plays an energetic, passing style
    Good man-management skills

Negatives:
    Tactically weak
    Inflexible subs
    Not won anything
    One of the things I am most looking forward to is seeing how we perform at the likes of Anfield, the Emirates and Etihad. Because one of the frustrating things for me about Sam (and his players) was that these games seemed to be pretty much handed over to the opposition without them having to break sweat.
  • From the BBC link

"With a 4-2-3-1 formation, he built a team with two dynamic defensive midfielders, one creative playmaker and wingers able to cut inside" .

Hmmm, big Andy up top with Valencia and Sakho playing on the wings, Downing in the middle with Noble and Kouyate in front of the back four? Sounds rather familiar.......

PLF - Besiktas played the home games at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium, on the western edge of Istanbul, its the Turkish national stadium so it would have been like us playing home games at Wembley.
  • Cheers Aslef ;ok he played Ba up top so maybe Valencia ;hmm maybe we will sign a few wingers or even play Jarvis !
  • Although I originally preferred a couple of other names linked with the job, I have to admit that subsequent comments I've read today ( allied to the knowledge I already of Bilic ) now mean I am glad we appointed him. I think there are a few things that made him an outstanding candidate now too. Very pleased he already has studied the players ( the strengths and where he wants to improve etc ) and I now feel pretty optimistic about the whole thing ;thumbsup Hopefully we can bring in some higher quality players in and be pushing at the top part of the table ( that 5th to 8th bracket area ). Although we ultimately finished 12th, with even an average second half of the season we would've easily been in the hunt to qualify for Europe from a league position as opposed to a fair play one.
  • Cheers Aslef ;ok he played Ba up top so maybe Valencia ;hmm maybe we will sign a few wingers or even play Jarvis !
    Jarvis needs to go, end of. We need a Bolasie type winger - that's the type which does well in the prem - fast and runs directly at defenders and takes them on
  • PLF - I just don't like lone strikers, he did play Ba in a front two a few times last season so he's not adverse to the odd bit of tinkering but when he did he stuck with his two DMs and dropped the AM. Then again he often played 4-4-2 with Croatia so we'll have to wait and see how we set up. At least we don't have long to wait, first Europa game in three weeks!!!!!!
  • edited June 2015
    Adrian
    O'Brien - Tomkins - Reid - Cresswell
    Noble - Kouyate
    Downing - Zarate - Valencia
    Sakho

Randolph, Collins, Hendrie, Obiang, Nolan, Jarvis, Carroll
  • hope zarates lost weight and more important attitude luke
  • Luke - we really need another RB, if JO'B gets injured we've got no one. I'd rather have Downing in the middle, he did so much better there than he did pushed out wide.
  • Bring Jenkinson back on loan, even if we cannot get him Perm, he knows the club now, he knows he will get games, he was a good player for us. I think all parties would welcome it. Wenger also has the added knowledge of knowing Jenkinson could face European opposition.

Seems a win win, obviously would like him on a Perm but personally feel the midfield needs an overhaul and having a steady RB in Jenkinson would help relieve fears for that position until next summer/January
  • Yeold - agreed
  • Looking forward to see what formation he plays , good job we have plenty of Europa cup games so he can experiment a little. He is quoted as saying midfield and upfront need strengthening so be interesting to see who we bring in . Getting mildly excited for first game already !
  • any person can say the right things, i hope he can follow it up with performances.
    Yes Indeed. Zola also said the right things - he said a lot of wonderful things about fitness yet his sides notoriously could not last 70 minutes

Still, if Slaven ends up talking things up and not delivering, he can always point to his employers and say he is taking a leaf out of their book...
    Zola did a good job. We played fantastic football and finished 8th. The second season wasn't as good but he kept us, just like Sam did, who got plaudits for that ;ok
    First season....Curbs team...but did well.

Second season "wasn't as good"?!?!

It was downright awful....stayed up on a lpw points total and was the beginning of the "Save our Season" theme....

Sam (somehow) didn't come close to finishing 17th in that manner.....no matter how you cut it.....and Zola didn't get record breaking first half of season.

;ok
  • Looking forward to see what formation he plays , good job we have plenty of Europa cup games
    ;hmm We have 2 guaranteed. The rest depend on us getting though each round....
  • any person can say the right things, i hope he can follow it up with performances.
    Yes Indeed. Zola also said the right things - he said a lot of wonderful things about fitness yet his sides notoriously could not last 70 minutes

Still, if Slaven ends up talking things up and not delivering, he can always point to his employers and say he is taking a leaf out of their book...
    Zola did a good job. We played fantastic football and finished 8th. The second season wasn't as good but he kept us, just like Sam did, who got plaudits for that ;ok
    First season....Curbs team...but did well.

Second season "wasn't as good"?!?!

It was downright awful....stayed up on a lpw points total and was the beginning of the "Save our Season" theme....

Sam (somehow) didn't come close to finishing 17th in that manner.....no matter how you cut it.....and Zola didn't get record breaking first half of season.

;ok
    Zola was out of his depth, simple as. If he wasn't, why hasn't he managed to get another top flight post since (except for a brief unsuccessful stint at Cagliari)?

Great player, lovely guy, but seemingly not cut out for top level management. worse win % at West Ham than Grant!!
  • Looking forward to see what formation he plays , good job we have plenty of Europa cup games
    ;hmm We have 2 guaranteed. The rest depend on us getting though each round....
    I am feeling confident Mrs Grey ;lol
  • I bet Slav's press conferences are going to be entertaining ;wahoo
  • No negativity please

#Bilic
    #WeBelieve
  • Pottsy + Cottee very pleased with the appointment ;clap
  • Ok - getting to this thread a bit late, but really chugged and excited at Slaven Bilic's appointment - no hard facts of course but it just feels so right.

COYI
  • Slightly worrying thing in that during his first 18 months at Besiktas he failed to hold onto any 1-0 or 2-0 leads.
  • edited June 2015
    Slightly worrying thing in that during his first 18 months at Besiktas he failed to hold onto any 1-0 or 2-0 leads.
    Just trying to get my head round this. Does that mean he didn't win any games? Or does it mean they only games he won was after he fell behind? ;hmm
  • Transfer/squad comments moved to here:

http://www.whu606.com/discussion/8552
  • I can't wait for the transfers to be done and the new season to start.
    Bilic wasn't who i was hoping for but I am sure he can do a great job, so looking forward to seeing flowing attacking football & hopefully a few more goals "for us".
    coyi
  • Next manager lining himself up already!!!

Takeb from bbc gossip...

Midfielder Ravel Morrison may only be 22 and had his West Ham contract terminated in February, but he wants to take charge of the club in future. He writes on Twitter: "One day I would love to manage West Ham and take them to the Champions League.
  • mchammer, he had it all, but imo will throw it all away
  • and take them to the Champions League.
    So he aspires to drive the team bus then?
  • Super, super Slav ;quaver

This discussion has been closed.