TV and Films

Comments

• I don't like war....I don't glorify it....but I'm in awe of what a group of 20yr olds did to rid the world of the Nazi's.
  • War is an ugly thing....they saw horror....Major winters was a God fearing soul who fought against a great evil.....he didn't want to kill but he knew he at the time had a duty to do.

It was over dramatised a bit for TV but was very close to the truth.
  • I found Band of Brothers very late. A mate lent me the box set in June this year. I watched it pretty much back to back, and thought it was superb.
  • LGH, Luke, i've got Band of Brothers on DVD but have never got around to watching it. It's quite good then?
  • The episode I keep watching over and over again is Bastogne.

If you find the rest hard to watch just at least watch that episode.
  • Twist ;ok tis superb...a bit Hollywood at times...but superb.
  • Twist - get watching it mate. I'm surprised that anybody could not like it, but obviously we're all different. ;ok
  • LGH - episodes 6 and 7 (the ones that cover Bastonge) were incredible at catching the most haunting moments. The episodes which follows the medic is my favourite. ;ok
  • Strangely enough I'm sat in my 101st tshirt as we speak....but tis because this time of year they were liberating Holland and from there they moved on to Bastogne.... ;poppy

20141003_184926
  • Luke ;ok Eugene Roe ;poppy
  • There are a few great books written by Dick Winters....Malarkey....babe and bill...buck Compton....shifty powers available on Amazon....tis recommended reading ;ok
  • Luke

I wouldn't say I didn't like it, just didn't find enough in it to keep me watching.
  • I suppose if it is a topic you are very interested in or knowledgeable about, it can be more enjoyable than if you are just watching it (and judging it) as 'a TV programme'?
  • I've just finished rereading the book called "Brothers in Battle Best of Friends" about Bill Guarnere and Babe Heffron.

And one of the quotes by Bill Guarnere I love after all he had seen and been through because of war is "A man is never bigger than when he bends the knee to help a child".
    Tis a philosophy I live by.....
  • edited October 2014
    Even if I judged it as a 'tv show' still thought it was amazing. Brilliantly acted (a lot of the actors in it were unknowns at the time and that put them on the map) and the level of detail, character development etc is first class. Then you have the background of it being a representation of a true story, during a time where all those men were heroes, and it strikes a chord. I wouldn't say I was massively interested in the subject (although I do like war films, because of the history), just thought it was a quality series. ;ok

It is a series you have to watch though. I'd imagine it would be difficult to acknowledge it if you only watch half the series. The first 3 episodes are used as a foundation to set you up for the series as a whole, whereas the latter ones really get into it. I've never felt I know so much about so many men in just 10 hours. ;ok
  • LGH - did you watch The Pacific mate?
  • Luke, maybe I'll give it another go ;hmm
  • MrsG ;ok

Please do! I mean, if it's not for you it's not for you, but I'd advise watching all 10 episodes. Not many shows I recommend but that is one of them that I'd urge to give a second chance.

The Pacific is by the same creators (Spielberg and Hanks), as well as HBO, but is very different. Much more harrowing and haunting. Very graphic.

;thumbsup
  • Luke ;ok no I've not watched The Pacific.
    I've got other films though about Iwo Jima ;ok
  • Did you know that "Saving Private Ryan" was based on a story about an Airborne Parachutist originally.
  • Mrsgrey ;ok the episode about Bastogne is one which I'd watch.
  • Babe Heffron and Bill Guarnere....

• edited October 2014
    A World War II film worth watching is Days of Glory (French title: Indigenes) about soldiers from French colonies taken into the army and the role they had fighting in France. By a French-Algerian director and a very good insight into a part of the wars that is often brushed over.

By the same director Hors-la-loi (Outside the Law) is a great film about the Algerian independence movement within France.
  • Outcast ;ok twas like a lot of the Indian regiments who helped fight with the British.
    What they did gets brushed over also....in fact a lot of the efforts of the commonwealth lay untold.....tis a shame as they all played their part in fighting against the Nazi and Japanese regimes.
  • edited October 2014
    Spider ;ok ;poppy ;bowdown both now sadly taken their last big jump off.....but they lived a lot longer then a vast amount of their former buddies so they were very lucky.
  • What they went through....what they saw....and how they kept on going without losing it......I just don't know....

Band of Brothers- German Artillery Barrage:
  • Band of Brothers Bastogne (part six):