Brentford (A) Saturday 28 September 3pm (not on TV)

1235»

Comments

• Ex claimed on Twitter (now deleted) that Kudus had to be "restrained by teammates" after Lopetegui singled him out for criticism at half time

That's good, isn't it? Shows the passion that is missing on the pitch.
  • Doesn't suggest a happy camp though. I don't know what the answer is, but I'd rather not have the manager/head coach and one of our best players at loggerheads this early in the season.
  • Seems like exwhu is downplaying it and says its being blown out of proportion

That's not like twitter for people to jump the gun....
  • edited October 1
    Ex wondered if it provided the motivation the other players needed as they were a lot better in the second half
  • It seems credible as the substitution was a surprise, if injured they would have simply said so and falling back on the tactical excuse seemed lame as he was very lively in that first half and clearly one of our most dangerous players.

Even Gale on comms speculated that something being said in the dressing room was the most likely reason, that being said, the team performance did not seem to unduly suffer so the players responded which is nice to see
  • It would be a worrying indication of Lopetgui's man management skills if true, He can't afford to alienate one of the players he is going to rely upon to dig him out of a difficult situation. There are very few people who respond well to being singled out in front of their peers and it's usually done to players who are expendable to demonstrate who is in charge. In this age top players can just ask their agent to get them a move, there will be lots of takers for Kudus.

I am reminded of Lee Sharpe's funny story regard Eric Cantona's Kung Fu kick sending off. It's on Youtube but I won't post the link as the language would get it mod'ed. The gist is the team lost and the players we geared up for a Ferguson atomic reaction to Cantona and thinking they could be spectators to this post match team talk after what he had done. Apparently Fergie came in screaming at everyone about the performance and telling them they were all rubbish and better buck their ideas up, then turned to Eric and said in a much toned down voice, oh and Eric, you can't really be doing that son.
  • edited October 1
    If J Lo gave it to him, GOOD IMO....

I said in the 1st half that Kudus wasn't doing enough defensively, so if I could see that, I'm sure that the coaches did.....

It's all good and well Kudus looks a bit dangerous going forward, but that isn't enough these days, and he needs to know that.....He seemed like he wasn't interested helping Emerson out, which when Paqueta plays there, the connection is there for everyone to see, and so is the respect from Paqueta of helping out his defender.....All IMO .......Of course..
  • Kudus has been poor this season, like most of the attacking players we have.
  • edited October 1
    What I will say is that if he doesn't play Kudus and fails to get results it will hasten his departure. Hopefully it's a storm in a tea cup and already over with but if not he may have been building the hill upon which he dies. We have seen these manager and star player battles before. It was a long time ago but I seem to remember Ruud Gullit dropping Shearer and it not ending well for him. No one has a divine right to a shirt but Kudus has played no worse than anyone else, but is always the player. along with Bowen, who is most likely to pull a goal or quality assist from somewhere.
  • Let's be honest, it isn't just Kudus who has played below expectations.
  • I'd take 100M of Liverpools money for Kudus in January...

I've nothing against him at all. However, if we got to a point where it was obvious that he was unhappy, I think Summerville on the left and Bowen on the right with a lot of money for a shiny new striker wouldn't be the worst thing.

• He has been a great servant to the club, but I think it's a shame that he had to bring up the milestone of 100 PL goals and assists with a complete mis-hit of a shot, the OS being extremely generous in describing it as a pass:

"Antonio’s pass for Tomáš Souček to net the Hammers’ equaliser in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Brentford was his 33rd top-flight assist."

https://www.whufc.com/news/antonio-celebrates-reaching-100-premier-league-direct-goal-involvements

As Jorderz said, his contribution to the goal was typical Antonio.