Brentford (A) Saturday 28 September 3pm (not on TV)

Comments

• We certainly deserved that point and really gave everything, no quibble with that. The quality however was pretty poor and it felt like a league one match at times with so little composure and so many poor balls played by both sides due to the frenetic pace. I felt a proper Premiership side would have asserted over both those teams.

Ultimately I am happy to pick up points that we may not have in other seasons, a point from Brentford away is a point gained for sure.
  • Unbeaten away
  • Tony Gale on comms almost bearable today, must be feeling sorry for us.
  • Tony Gale on comms almost bearable today, must be feeling sorry for us.

Fulham 1-1 , Brentford 1- 1 , Tony Gale gives us a point when doing our matches on co-comm....
  • Not trying to wind some of you up but why the hate on Antonio? He was probably close to MOM on Wednesday and today worked really hard and was in the right time, right place for our equaliser.
    Some seem to need someone to batter, last year it was Soucek this season it seems it Mickey.
    How about getting off his back and giving just a little bit of praise when due?
  • Slacker said:

How about getting off his back and giving just a little bit of praise when due?

It was his best game this season imo, but that bar was very low; he's been awful before today. I don't feel the need to hate on anyone, I just call it like I see it, and Antonio hasn't been worth a starting place so far this season, and he was pretty poor for most of last season. If you think otherwise, fine, but, now that Zouma has gone, he's the obvious weak point in the team imo, especially as a starter.

• From just looking at the match stats on BBC, we were the better team. Was this the case?

I haven't seen the game, goals or highlights yet.
  • From just looking at the match stats on BBC, we were the better team. Was this the case?

I haven't seen the game, goals or highlights yet.

It was a hard game to judge that as Brentford decided to try and contain us rather than really press for a second, on account of this we did press but most came to little. I sometimes consider if I didn't know the result and any goals were taken out of the match who looked like the winners, I think if I did that with this match we would have been put up for a minimum of a draw and the more likely to have been considered the winners. The early goal transformed the match for both teams and created an intensity before either got into a rhythm, that intensity remained until the final whistle. I imagine most players would have came off exhausted.

A poor disjointed performance again but a great point.
  • Antonio has been a great servant for us .And I still love the guy .Not sure its hate for him .Just the fact that he should not be starting games .And we are all fed up that we still relay on him so much
  • steve said:

Antonio has been a great servant for us .And I still love the guy .Not sure its hate for him .Just the fact that he should not be starting games .And we are all fed up that we still relay on him so much

Think you must agree there have been some pretty disparaging comments on here today about him though?🤷🏻‍♂️ Some before a ball was kicked.

• It’s a good point, we never get anything there.

A point up on last seasons equivalent fixtures.

COYI
  • Still no where near good enough, a Brentford team with 9 injuries who looked marginally the better team today. They should have probably won it in the dieing minutes like Fulham should have and very much like the Fulham game we committed daylight robbery again to grab a point.
  • We've played the teams currently sitting at 3rd, 4th, 5th (could go joint top if Villa win tomorrow), 6th, 12th and 17th. Also haven't lost away from home

Its not been good at all, but if we beat Ipswich and things looks better on paper
  • Still no where near good enough, a Brentford team with 9 injuries who looked marginally the better team today. They should have probably won it in the dieing minutes like Fulham should have and very much like the Fulham game we committed daylight robbery again to grab a point.

Yeold, when do you think you’ll be happy about supporting West Ham?
    We’re not Liverpool/ City/ United/ Chelsea / Arsenal we are ( at best) a mid table pushing for European football, which we actually achieved in the past three
    seasons and actually won a trophy for the first time in most people’s living memory.
    What would make it right for you as you seem to see fault everywhere?Honestly, you seem to get so little pleasure from supporting our club, what would make you smile?😊

• edited September 28
    West Ham: £-276.6m
    Brentford: £-95.7m

https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city

For our net spend I'm expecting us to be competing at the top table for European places. We have one of the highest net spends for the last 5 years.

I also expect a level of football to match, If Newcastle, Villa, Brighton etc can do it week in week out and go up against the top 6 every season seemingly giving them a good game without having their backs against the wall for 90 minutes praying then I think WHU should have the necessary manager/players to deliver that and Yes when you look at the net spend I expect West Ham to be able to compete at a similar level to Villa / Brighton / Newcastle. Though I accept at some point Newcastle might head to the stratosphere with their state backing which hasn't really happened yet when you match it against our own spend in the same period.

West Ham have been to Europe but you only have to go back to last season where the 2-0 win against Arsenal where we got pummeled for 30+ shots by Arsenal a premier league record high for a team to not score, which showed when we got turned over 6-0 2 months later that it wasn't something that showed where West Ham was really at. Victorys against Chelsea and Man United that you can put down to heroic defending or whatever but I put down to backs against the wall praying for moments which occurred. Contrast this with the 3 clubs I have mentioned who when you watch them go to top 6 teams they genuinely look like they play football, look like they want to compete, look like they aren't relying on a player to dribble past 5 players and slot it.

I want a team who outplays its opponent and is willing to get into the opposition half that look like a premier league team. This West Ham team has not been that for a while. Its a "team" relying on individual moments with players who we pay big money for but rarely deliver. I expect to see us go to Brentford with 9 injuries to our 1 injury and dominate them for more time than them. It didn't occur and I don't think this team is capable of doing it to any team in this league. Though I expect to watch other "European pushing teams" to do exactly that when meeting similar level sides. It doesn't have to end in victory but it does have to show on the pitch that the capability to do it and perhaps in the next match the result would be different.
  • edited September 29
    Not the greatest contest from a purists viewpoint but one that I think we edged and overall the draw was probably a fair result.

A mix of performances, like many I was surprised by Kudos coming off at halftime as I thought he was pretty lively going forward, Mavropanos was really influential once he came on but Soler failed to shine and Ings chased shadows, thought Antonio ran his socks off as did Bowen, but to be fair, although Bowen found himself in many promising positions his final ball in was often terrible.

To often I feel we were too slow moving the ball and found ourselves surrounded and needed flicks and tricks to get ourselves out of trouble, not sure that Rodriguez has got up to the pace of the premier league and although Soucek scored the vital equalizer, for me he looked a little lost in no man’s land.

On the positive side, Tobibo and Killman showed quality and it is imperative they remain fit, I still like Summerville who always tries to do something positive with the ball.

All in all we created a bunch of chances and am happy with the point and performance.

• Lukerz said:

It’s a good point, we never get anything there.

A point up on last seasons equivalent fixtures.

COYI

I think some people are forgetting this. Everyone has said we have had a tough start, and we can expect the team to take time to click. Let’s give J-Lo a chance. There’s some positive signs. ⚒
  • Good chance we will be bottom three this weekend. We are a laughing stock and appear totally clueless

Laughing stock? Really?

• When my youngest son was a little boy in the mid/late 80’s he loved Liverpool fc. I gradually weaned him off them and onto West Ham. He is now a season ticket holder.
    Amazingly he still speaks to me. =)
  • West Ham: £-276.6m
    Brentford: £-95.7m

https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city

For our net spend I'm expecting us to be competing at the top table for European places. We have one of the highest net spends for the last 5 years.

I also expect a level of football to match, If Newcastle, Villa, Brighton etc can do it week in week out and go up against the top 6 every season seemingly giving them a good game without having their backs against the wall for 90 minutes praying then I think WHU should have the necessary manager/players to deliver that and Yes when you look at the net spend I expect West Ham to be able to compete at a similar level to Villa / Brighton / Newcastle. Though I accept at some point Newcastle might head to the stratosphere with their state backing which hasn't really happened yet when you match it against our own spend in the same period.

West Ham have been to Europe but you only have to go back to last season where the 2-0 win against Arsenal where we got pummeled for 30+ shots by Arsenal a premier league record high for a team to not score, which showed when we got turned over 6-0 2 months later that it wasn't something that showed where West Ham was really at. Victorys against Chelsea and Man United that you can put down to heroic defending or whatever but I put down to backs against the wall praying for moments which occurred. Contrast this with the 3 clubs I have mentioned who when you watch them go to top 6 teams they genuinely look like they play football, look like they want to compete, look like they aren't relying on a player to dribble past 5 players and slot it.

I want a team who outplays its opponent and is willing to get into the opposition half that look like a premier league team. This West Ham team has not been that for a while. Its a "team" relying on individual moments with players who we pay big money for but rarely deliver. I expect to see us go to Brentford with 9 injuries to our 1 injury and dominate them for more time than them. It didn't occur and I don't think this team is capable of doing it to any team in this league. Though I expect to watch other "European pushing teams" to do exactly that when meeting similar level sides. It doesn't have to end in victory but it does have to show on the pitch that the capability to do it and perhaps in the next match the result would be different.

Some fair points in there mate, but my original question still stands,you seem ( by your posts) to get so little pleasure from watching West Ham that I don’t know why you bother really. West Ham have for my whole ( long ) life have been a very frustrating club to support but that’s all part of it isn’t it?We get our occasional days,or seasons, in the sun which is what keeps us coming back and I don’t really see that changing no matter how much we spend or who the manager is.
    Enjoy the ride.😁

• It's in our DNA
  • edited September 29
    Last season we lost 3-2 there. Stats were:

Shots:
    16 - 12

On target:
    4 - 2

Possession:
    60% - 40%

Pass accuracy:
    80% - 71%

Passes:
    560 - 373

This season we draw 1-1:

Shots:
    8 - 19

On target:
    3 - 3

Possession:
    57% - 43%

Passes:
    528 - 399

Pass accuracy:
    TBC

The previous two seasons we’ve lost 2-0 there convincingly on both occasions. They have won all three of their home games so far this season.

Last season we took ZERO points from Palace, Fulham & Brentford away, shipping 13 goals. How can anybody not see 5 points from the same games, better stats & 2 goals conceded is not an improvement?

We haven’t got it right at home yet, against 3 good sides (all currently in the top five). In fact Liverpool you can add to that. We also beat Bournemouth.

We haven’t been great but the meltdown over our start is quite strange (not saying on here).

There are subtle improvements in our game. Ipswich next week is a key game for this new team. If we win, I’d say it’s a pretty decent points return after our first 7 games.

Chill.
  • For the record, I think that the Ipswich game is going to be interesting, they play on the front foot and of the promoted teams, they are the one i have thus far enjoyed watching the most.

They have proven capable of unpicking defenses but are vulnerable themselves to runners so I am not seeing a 0-0 borefest.

I am looking forward to it
  • For the record, I think that the Ipswich game is going to be interesting, they play on the front foot and of the promoted teams, they are the one i have thus far enjoyed watching the most.

They have proven capable of unpicking defenses but are vulnerable themselves to runners so I am not seeing a 0-0 borefest.

I am looking forward to it

Also giving Villa a right game at the moment

Also looking forward to it
  • edited September 29

Some fair points in there mate, but my original question still stands,you seem ( by your posts) to get so little pleasure from watching West Ham that I don’t know why you bother really. West Ham have for my whole ( long ) life have been a very frustrating club to support but that’s all part of it isn’t it?We get our occasional days,or seasons, in the sun which is what keeps us coming back and I don’t really see that changing no matter how much we spend or who the manager is.
    Enjoy the ride.😁

Thats where you and i differ then. I think it can change with the right people at the helm of each department. Owner > Manager > Players and surrounding structures in place.

I don't want to settle for occasional days or seasons in the sun I want to see the club reach for the highest level. I want to see a WHU outfit that when a Liverpool / Arsenal etc turn up they know their in for a game, rather than a "how many can we put past this lot." I want a WHU team that go to injury plagued teams and show how big a miss 9 players can be.

• edited September 29
    Ah the Upton Park days 🥹
    That’s when the oppo knew they were in for a game!
  • The thing to bear in mind is that complaining about the match has been around since the match itself, it's all part of it for the supporter and social media is just an extension now of what the the pub was after the match.

In the days before online existed you'd wait until you would get a programme before the match or until the team was called out over the PA and then it would start immediately as the fella next to you would offer up' what's he picked him for again?' critiquing would continue throughout the match, often be expressed through the medium of song, and then on the way home afterwards. I can't recall too many crowds in which the natural fallibility of the manager and each member of the team was greeted with such acceptance. I don't think the performance of your team at the weekend is meant to be reviewed with the balance and historical reflection of a management meeting at work.

It's all just usual football supporter stuff on here and pretty good natured, our own stewards rarely have to get involved, and as long as that's the case let everyone enjoy their team I say, even if that is moaning about them more often than not.

• Some fair points in there mate, but my original question still stands,you seem ( by your posts) to get so little pleasure from watching West Ham that I don’t know why you bother really. West Ham have for my whole ( long ) life have been a very frustrating club to support but that’s all part of it isn’t it?We get our occasional days,or seasons, in the sun which is what keeps us coming back and I don’t really see that changing no matter how much we spend or who the manager is.
    Enjoy the ride.😁

Thats where you and i differ then. I think it can change with the right people at the helm of each department. Owner > Manager > Players and surrounding structures in place.

I don't want to settle for occasional days or seasons in the sun I want to see the club reach for the highest level. I want to see a WHU outfit that when a Liverpool / Arsenal etc turn up they know their in for a game, rather than a "how many can we put past this lot." I want a WHU team that go to injury plagued teams and show how big a miss 9 players can be.

Couldn’t agree more,I think you made my point for me.We’d all love that but in my 60 odd years of supporting this club……………🤷🏻‍♂️

• edited September 30
    I love supporting West Ham, and get excited before every match.
    Up until 12 months ago (or maybe a little more) , I had a feeling we could and would beat any team we played.

However, over the last 12 months or so, I look at a fixture and wonder how we are going to win, or even keep a clean sheet. It may be that because we were in Europe playing teams and beating them in the group stages, I just felt more confident a couple of seasons ago.

We need a run of performances and results, and I am sure I will become confident again.
    I have to believe the new manager will get it right if he is in the job long enough. However, at the moment his plans, tactics and line-ups seem all over the place.

Smash Ipswich (well beat them with a performance), and that would be a good start to getting my confidence in West Ham back again.
  • Ex claimed on Twitter (now deleted) that Kudus had to be "restrained by teammates" after Lopetegui singled him out for criticism at half time