Brentford (A) Saturday 28 September 3pm (not on TV)

edited September 27 in Match Threads
The good news

We are unbeaten in our two away games, both were in London, both were 3pm Saturday kick offs and neither was on TV

No Ivan Toney (2 goals in 4 games against us) and no Yoane Wissa (3 goals in 7)
Brentford haven't kept a clean sheet in the league

The bad news

Bryan Mbeumo (3 goals in 5) is fit and has scored 4 in 5 this season
Brentford have scored in 4 out of 5 league games, didn't score at Anfield

Brentford set up 4-3-3 in their two home games (Leicester, Saints) and won both although they're a bit short up front

Wissa picked up an ankle injury against City that will keep him out for a couple of months while club record signing and Ivan Toney replacement Igor Thiago (Club Brugge £30m) suffered a knee injury in a friendly against Wimbledon that required surgery

Against Spurs Franck went with 5-3-2 and opted to play AM Fabio Carvalho (Liverpool £27.5m) alongside Mbuma but in the two home games 22yo Kevin Schade (3 German caps, signed July 2023 but missed most of last season injured) has been the third forward

Joshua Dasilva, Mathias Jensen, Rico Henry and Aaron Hickey are all absent along with new arrival 18yo Brazilian LW Gustavo Nunes (Gremio £10m)

Christian Norgaard missed the visit to White Hart Lane but is expected back on Saturday

Best guess
Flekken
Ajer Pinnock Collins Lewis-Potter
Damsgaard Norgaard Janelt
Carvalho Mbuma Schade

Comments

• Areola; AWB Todibo Kilman Emerson; Soler Rodriguez Paqueta; Kudus Bowen Summerville.

I just want him to get his best side out there. He (and Tim) wanted Todibo and Soler all summer, I get why we’ve had the slow introduction. But Mavropanos and Soucek are just not enabling us to play the way I think he wants to play.
  • Last weekend Brentford scored at Spurs in the 1st minute

The weekend before Brentford scored at City in the 1st minute

If it’s goalless after 60 seconds we will have done better than City and Spurs!
  • Mbuemo is a top player, I think Brentford were lucky all the focus was on Toney, because i think Mbuemo was the better player and them holding onto him was good for them. Shame they lost Wissa. Two players I think a smart team (could have been WHU) or of the "Pushing Europe spaces ilk" should have gone in for.
  • On team news: "We will train now and will see again afterwards how they are. We have Edson out [due to suspension] and let’s see what will happen with the others between today and tomorrow. Unfortunately, Fullkrug was not available last night, so we will wait for this afternoon and tomorrow to see for him."

Summerville needs to find his shooting boots. Promising that he’s get in these positions. But needs to start taking these chances.
  • edited September 28
    Areola
    Wan-Bissaka - Todibo - Kilman - Emerson
    Souček - Rodríguez - Paquetá
    Kudus - Bowen - Summerville
  • edited September 27
    Areola
    Soucek - Soler - Paqueta

I’d like Ings to play but that would likely mean dropping Summerville and bringing Kudus to LW. I’d rather see Kudus on the right.
  • I'd rather Kudus down the middle and Bowen on the right

Not sure that works with a front 3 like everyone is mentioning as Kudus isn't a #9, but I don't think Bowen is either

Best formation for those 2 is a 4231, but we don't have a midfield pairing solid enough for that

Lot of thinking for Mr Lopetegui

Back 5 picks itself proving everyone is fit
    Areola
    AWB - Tobido - Kilman - Emerson
  • Such an imbalance in that we are packed with midfielders yet lack an out and out striker.
  • Areola
    Soler - Rodriguez- Paqueta
  • Norgaard is "going to be a close call. He’s been training today and yesterday so we need to see if he’s ready to start.”

20yo Ukrainian U23 Yehor Yarmoliuk played against Spurs in Norgaard's absence, making his 7th Premier League start since promotion from Brentford B last season
  • Such an imbalance in that we are packed with midfielders yet lack an out and out striker.

To be honest, I’d be half expecting him to start Ings or Antonio.
  • Start Antonio then bring Ings on to score in time added on

It worked at Fulham...
  • Areola
    Soler - Souček - Paquetá
    Bowen - Antonio - Kudus

Is what I think we may see from JL today.
  • Dino for Todibo might be in j.lo thinking
  • Areola, Wan-Bissaka, Todibo, Kilman, Emerson, Rodríguez, Souček, Paquetá, Bowen ©, Kudus, Antonio
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Coufal, Cresswell, Mavropanos, Soler, Irving, Luis Guilherme, Summerville, Ings

Pleased Todibo starts, disappointed Antonio does.
  • summerville who has looked good on bench .
  • Not sure Antonio will ever score again for us =)
  • edited September 28
    steve said:

Not sure Antonio will ever score again for us =)

Is that reverse psychology ??!!
  • Oppo

Team to play West Ham: Flekken, Van den Berg, Collins, Pinnock, Ajer, Janelt, Damsgaard, Carvalho, Lewis-Potter, Mbeumo, Schade.

Subs: Valdimarsson, Mee, Yarmolyuk, Meghoma, Konak, Trevitt, Roerslev, Kim, Yogane.
  • jay ,yes it is
  • steve said:

jay ,yes it is

2 goals for him today then.....COYI..
  • Flekken,
    Ajer, Van de Berg, Pinnock, Collins, Lewis-Potter, Janelt, Schade, Damsgaard, Carvalho, Mbeumo.

That could either be a back three with Ajer and Lewis-Potter playing as wing backs
    Or
    A back four with Collins as LB and Lewis-Potter playing on the left side of midfield
  • Trying to decide if I should waste my Saturday morning watching us play (lose) again.
  • Füllkrug again not even fit enough for the bench; it's so depressing having Antonio still starting matches when he was pretty uselesss last season and so we sign a player with an injury that needs managing and, guess what, that injury is causing him to miss games.

I do feel that it's going to click for us in a game soon, but it's hard to muster up any enthusiam that it will be today given Antonio is in the starting line up; we're effectively a man down from the start.
  • Tony Gale on co-comms....
  • Thought Antonio looked quite bright when he came on midweek. I am fairly happy with that starting 11. Come on you Irons 2-0 win
  • Brentford score in first minute for the third time.
  • Hate this game already