Chelsea (H) Saturday 21st September 12:30pm live on TNT

edited September 16 in Match Threads
It will be 1 year, 1 month and 1 day since Chelsea's last visit to the London Stadium when we managed to win 3-1 despite Enzo Fernandez missing a penalty when it was 1-1 and playing the last 25 minutes with 10 men thanks to Aguerd's 2nd yellow. A little less drama would be welcome

At Chelsea its another season, another new manager but some things remain unchanged; the size of their squad and their ability to collect yellow cards.

They topped the Premier League with 105 last season and are off to a good start with 16 so far, way ahead of Bournemouth and Man Utd on 12 each

Maresca has been pretty consistent with his starting XI although injury has forced a few changes.

Robert Sánchez has kept his place between the sticks although Chelsea did add two more goalkeepers in the summer (they have four in the EPL squad)

At the back Fofana, Colwill and Cucarella have started all four games but RB is a bit of a problem. Reece James is injured again and isn't expected back until after the next international break so Malo Gusto was in the starting XI for three games before he suffered a thigh injury with the French U21s.

CB Axei Diasai started RB against Bournemouth (he played there a few times last season) but was replaced after an hour by CB Tosin Adarabioyo, signed on a free from Fulham.

Benoît Badiashile has only played in the Europa Conference League playoffs so far and while Ben Chilwell has been included in the EPL squad he still hasn't been seen anywhere near a pitch

In the midfield Romeo Lavia is also injured again after two games, bringing his total appearances in a blue shirt to three for 105 minutes since joining from Southampton for £58m. In Lavia's absence Maresca moved Fernandez alongside Moises Caicedo rather than play Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, signed from Leicester for £30m.

Both Fernandez and Dewsbury-Hall were ill last weekend so 21yo Renato Viega, a LB signed from FC Basel for £11.8m, was preferred to either Cesare Casadei (11 appearances last season) or Carney Chukwuemeka (12 appearances last season)

Up front Cole Palmer has started all four games, Noni Madueke the last three and star summer signing Pedro Neto (Wolves, £54m) the last two although he was replaced by Jadon Sancho at half time against Bournemouth.

Second biggest signing of the summer Joao Felix, £46.3m from Atletico Madrid, has been restricted to three substitute appearances while Mykhailo Mudryk has been relegated to the bench

Nicolas Jackson is still preferred as starting striker although Christopher Nkunku replaced him against Bournemouth after 79 minutes and scored the winner with an assist from Sancho

Comments

• And they collected just the 8 yellow cards in there last game.
    Feisty one’s they are!
  • edited September 16
    Areola
    Wan-Bissaka - Todibo - Kilman - Emerson
    Soler - Álvarez - Paquetá
    Kudus - Bowen - Summerville

Fabiański, Mavropanos, Coufal, Cresswell, Rodríguez, Souček, Antonio, Füllkrug, Ings (or Irving if Füllkrug not available).

Coufal for Emerson if he is out. I am half tempted to start Ings & give him a run in a side more suited to his style.
  • So ASLEF, all in all, what you're saying is it will be a loss for us. =)
  • Maybe not

I think Kudus might be a bit too much for whoever they play at right back

Noticed that when they took Diasai off and brought Adarabioyo on it they moved Fofana wide to play RB
  • If it is a loss it will be all 3 of our home PL games so far. Not a good start.
  • No Antonio & hopefully Todibo included within the XI is a good start for me

Assuming Emerson is out

Areola
    Coufal - Todibo - Kilman - AWB
    ???? - Alvarez - ????
    Kudus - Bowen - ????

Fill in the blanks
    Paqueta or Summerville for the wing
    Paqueta, Soler, Guido or Soucek alongside Alvarez

But Antonio out the XI is the right direction, that's one thing I wanna see at the bare minimum
  • From J-Lo's presser:

"The news is that we're trying to recover all the players, but we need to wait until tomorrow to know more.

Emerson didn't pick up a big knock [against Fulham], but we have to review everything before we know for sure. Let's see tomorrow."

Hopefully Emerson is OK to play; Coufal got caught out a couple of times within minutes of coming on against Fulham, so I'd rather he isn't starting.

Mavropanos hasn't started the season too badly, so kinda understandable that Todibo didn't start at the weekend (before that he clearly wasn't match fit). However, he didn't have a great game against Fulham imo, so hopefully J-Lo sees this as a good time to give Todibo his first PL start.

Surely Antonio's time in the starting XI is up for the time being, and with Füllkrug likely still out then Bowen has to start up top. Alvarez and Rodriguez both start for me, and I think Paqueta does too. Then I think it's a question of Soucek or Summerville; I'd prefer the latter but I wouldn't be surprised to see the former.

What I think we'll see:
    Areola
    AWB Todibo Kilman Emerson
    Soucek Rodriguez Alvarez
    Kudus Bowen Paqueta

What I'd prefer:
    Areola
    Alvarez Rodriguez Paqueta
    Kudus Bowen Summerville
  • Recover all the players .What is he doing to them all week =)
  • Maybe he dropped them all in the middle of Dartmoor as a training/bonding exercise, and the helicopters are out now searching for them....
  • They probably been talking to Bowen about training and are all still running up the potato field.
  • Maresca confirmed Enzo Fernandez and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall will be available again for Saturday's meeting with West Ham but Malo Gusto is still out as usual Reece James.
  • Maresca says "Romeo Lavia is very close, hopefully he is back for the next game."

On the bench rather than a starter?
  • Heads up, I will be watching the game recorded, a few hours after the event tomorrow, so the MOTM thread will either be a few hours later than usual, or someone else will need to start it.
  • Best guesses

Sanchez
    Disasi Fofana Colwill Cucarella
    Caicedo Fernandez
    Madueke Palmer Sancho
    Jackson

or

Sanchez
    Fofana Adarabioyo Colwill Cucarella
    Caicedo Fernandez
    Madueke Palmer Sancho
    Jackson

Whoever they play at RB they're going to have a 'mare of an afternoon trying to cope with Kudus or whoever we stick on the left

Hi ho, hi ho. If you're on the Central line keep a eye out for train 064 before 11:25am and 115 from 1:04pm until 3:16pm (not a bad shift for a Saturday)
  • edited September 21
    Shame that Todibo still not ready to start, but, other than that, not unhappy with the team, at least Antonio is finally dropped:

Areola, Wan-Bissaka, Mavropanos, Kilman, Emerson, Rodríguez, Álvarez, Paquetá, Kudus, Summerville, Bowen ©
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Coufal, Cresswell, Todibo, Soler, Irving, Souček, Antonio, Ings
  • From J-Lo's presser:

"The news is that we're trying to recover all the players, but we need to wait until tomorrow to know more.

Emerson didn't pick up a big knock [against Fulham], but we have to review everything before we know for sure. Let's see tomorrow."

Hopefully Emerson is OK to play; Coufal got caught out a couple of times within minutes of coming on against Fulham, so I'd rather he isn't starting.

Mavropanos hasn't started the season too badly, so kinda understandable that Todibo didn't start at the weekend (before that he clearly wasn't match fit). However, he didn't have a great game against Fulham imo, so hopefully J-Lo sees this as a good time to give Todibo his first PL start.

Surely Antonio's time in the starting XI is up for the time being, and with Füllkrug likely still out then Bowen has to start up top. Alvarez and Rodriguez both start for me, and I think Paqueta does too. Then I think it's a question of Soucek or Summerville; I'd prefer the latter but I wouldn't be surprised to see the former.

What I think we'll see:
    Areola
    Soucek Rodriguez Alvarez
    Kudus Bowen Paqueta

What I'd prefer:
    Areola
    Kudus Bowen Summerville

For a sec, I thought the part in bold was a direct quote from J-Lo’s pre match press talk!
  • I like the team, obviously I think we all want Todibo to start over Mavropanos but the other 10 positions are pretty much what a lot of us want to see and Mavropanos hasn't been TOO bad
  • Looks very close to what is our best team. Glad Kudus can operate on the right.
  • I like the team, obviously I think we all want Todibo to start over Mavropanos but the other 10 positions are pretty much what a lot of us want to see and Mavropanos hasn't been TOO bad

He's started the season OK in general, but he definitely cost us against Fulham; he had a couple of dodgy moments apart from their goal. I'm disappointed he's kept his place tbh, especially as Chelsea are pacy and Todibo is supposed to be pretty quick.

• Sanchez
    Fofana Adarabioyo Colwill Cucarella
    Caicedo Fernandez
    Madueke Palmer Sancho
    Jackson

Option no.2, Fofana at RB. Lavia still unavailable
  • From J-Lo's presser:

What I think we'll see:
    Areola
    Soucek Rodriguez Alvarez
    Kudus Bowen Paqueta

What I'd prefer:
    Areola
    Kudus Bowen Summerville

For a sec, I thought the part in bold was a direct quote from J-Lo’s pre match press talk!
    I like a manager who says it like it is 😂🤣😂.

• Another game of watching Mavro being all over the place! 😂
  • Unbelievable
  • Terrible
  • Not an auspicious start 😭
  • Way too easy to get through us.
  • Oh boy, that was amateurish
  • I genuinely think there is a case that this side gets relegated or close to and I base that not just on these first 5 games but the whole of 2024.
    There is ability in the squad but their is 0 IQ amongst them as footballers.