Chelsea (H) Saturday 21st September 12:30pm live on TNT

124»

Comments

• Just tried to listen to Lopetigue’s post match interview. I actually could barely understand a word he said. Although to be fair I am a bit mutton. Perhaps the players can’t understand what he’s trying to get them to do. O.o
  • Didn't hear his post match interview.
    However, I certainly can't work out what he is trying to do on the pitch. Doesn't know his best team, and constantly changing things.

Don't know his plan at all.
  • Didn't hear his post match interview.
    However, I certainly can't work out what he is trying to do on the pitch. Doesn't know his best team, and constantly changing things.

Don't know his plan at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/videos/cdrjynery51o

• IMO, he didnt have all the players that he wanted til deadline day, so not knowing his best XI is pretty reasonable. Before the season I also saw a lot of neutral media saying we had one of the hardest starts to the season.

I’m sure we’ll settle and have a decent season, just need to give it a bit of time.
  • alderz said:

IMO, he didnt have all the players that he wanted til deadline day, so not knowing his best XI is pretty reasonable. Before the season I also saw a lot of neutral media saying we had one of the hardest starts to the season.

I’m sure we’ll settle and have a decent season, just need to give it a bit of time.

Very Wilkins Micawberish I have to say Alderz =)
  • So ASLEF, all in all, what you're saying is it will be a loss for us. =)

So, just as I said on the 18th. ;)
  • I think there is reason to recognise we have a lot of new players and that we have had a tough early fixture list and the guy does need more time to get the team playing and getting results.

On the other side this is a very unforgiving league and time is a luxury that may not be afforded, it's easy to find yourself in a scrap at the bottom. There are naturally comparisons to Pellgrini as he has had a lot of money to spend and the club have backed a manager who came with a pedigree.

Reasons for confidence.
    On paper the squad looks good and individually there are moments with most players that have come in which lead you to feel they will make us better in time.

Reasons for concern
    Two big positions in centre forward and Centre half look unresolved. We will need to get a proper look at Fullkrug when he returns, but why can Todibo a 40m target not take the shirt from Mavropanos. If he has spent all that money to leave us with Mavro and Antonio I think we may struggle as they are such big positions.
  • Poor selection, poor set up, poor execution. Poor.
  • Poor but it's only been 5 games, not gonna turn negative as that only creates more negativity
  • Another game I couldn't watch. Is it a case of individual errors or the set up not clear to the players yet or both? We do have a good squad of players IMO what we could do in January is get a proper, young speedy striker... Anyone know of such a player? 😃
  • At the moment, the (perceived/lack of) a striker is absolutely not the problem that needs solving.
  • MIAHammer said:

Apparently this is the first time ever we have lost our first 3 home games of the season.

They kept saying that, they must mean league games as we beat Bournemouth in our second home game of the season.

MIAHammer said:

Apparently this is the first time ever we have lost our first 3 home games of the season.

They kept saying that, they must mean league games as we beat Bournemouth in our second home game of the season.
    Yes, they were talking about league games although not sure if that is lifetime or Premier League. Sometimes when they talk it appears football in England didn’t start until 1992.
  • Poor but it's only been 5 games, not gonna turn negative as that only creates more negativity

Not turning negative, just giving an opinion of the game.
  • On the plus side we lost our first four league games under Pellegrini, finished 10th
  • IronHerb said:

Poor but it's only been 5 games, not gonna turn negative as that only creates more negativity

Not turning negative, just giving an opinion of the game.
    Wasn't referencing anyone directly and happy for you to give as many opinions as you want. I don't actually know what you've said as I didn't go through the thread, just gave my thoughts once I got home

Just personally, I'm just not gonna go all doom and gloom after 5 league games

Heard some fans talking about how there is nothing exciting to look forward to this season, how they miss moyes, how Lopetegui is already at risk or how we are relegation candidates

Just think it's too early for that, and that often when the fanbase start saying stuff like that it sets up a negative mindset that creeps into the crowd, which you could feel yesterday which has historically not helped
  • I'm gonna say it, whether it's right or wrong.

IMO I don't think J Lo is the 'right' fit for us.

I of course am not an expert, and have no real facts to back this up, just a hunch.

I certainly wasn't overwhelmed when he was chosen, but the same can certainly be said about Moyes, so only time will tell.

His CV is great, but really, that means little IMO, it's all about fitting the club...

I really do hope I'm wrong, but personally don't have great vibes and will be surprised if he's here longer than 1 season....

I again wanna make it clear, I REALLY DO want him to do well and will BE VERY happy to be proved wrong, but just have that bad feeling......
  • edited September 22
    Well put Jay. I don't have a real view as yet and don't think I will have until we're half way through the season, but 100% agree "it's all about fitting the club".
  • WHU can go in one of the two ways:

It can emulate the 1985-86 team which didn't win any of the first five games but then finished third in the old first division, or have a Pellegrini season.

The 1985-86 team was hungry and had a style and Cottee and McAvennie to terrorise defences, and Alvin Martin, Ray Stewart and Tony Gale for stability at the back. I don't see any of that in the current team and fear a repeat of the Pellegrini season, expensive signings that don't gel and manager who wants to immediately impose his own style regardless of what players can do.

I have no idea why Lopetegui played Alvarez in the middle of back-three yesterday. It weakened midfield and defence. Maybe manager was trying to be too clever but it didn't work. Pacqueta was ineffective, as he has been in all games this season. AWB was a real disappointment, ambling though the game with no urgency. Rodríguez hasn't done anything.

We must win the next two games, or alarm bills should be ringing.

Of course I am just an armchair manager, but a frustrated and WHU supporter.
  • I said from the beginning I didn't think he was the right appointment and wanted a more up and coming manager and felt he was a big risk. However I recognise I have limited information to base that on, and the club spoke of just how well he interviewed and his vision. I also thought Emery was a bad appointment for Villa at the time so shows what I know. This said I have not seen anything in our opening games that has made me change my initial view that he was the wrong appointment. Yet as many rightly say it's very early days and any manager needs more time to prove himself.

By Christmas you have been through the first round of playing each team so any fixture bias has corrected, I would like to see us by then competing in most games with a good team spirit and making more chances leading to us picking up results to avoid any fears or relegation. My expectations for this season is to finish around the 10th mark but in a manner that allows us to feel we have a foundation and squad to then move forward from that in a more threatening way next season.
  • It was my first game of the season yesterday and you could clearly see the different style of play from Moyes, the trouble is that the majority of teams play this way these days and are more experienced and better at it than us, time may change that. Leaving Alvarez alone at the back without cover against quick forwards was not a good idea. We should have had a penalty. Moyes was often criticised for not making subs or doing it very late. Lopetegui even made a change in the first half and plenty in the second but I think it may have made us weaker. Chelsea have a couple of very large defenders and with our attack of Bowen Kudus and Summerville anything in the air was just nodded away.
  • edited September 23
    The decision to play Edson in a back 3 was a horrendous one. Lesson learned but that massively back fired. I’m not sure why given we had played a 4-3-3 in all our games so far this season. Seemed a random stunt for JL to pull. We took one of our most combative midfielders, out of midfield, losing out there, & causing confusion in defence & making Alvarez & our defence worse as a result. From that, we were 0-2 down.

We have to be more structured in our pressing & that will come with time. We can’t have Kudus, Summerville, Paqueta, Bowen, Wan-Bissaka, Emerson all pressing high & leave just Rodriguez in the middle third of the pitch & the CBs.

I am all for pressing high & pushing a side to make mistakes, but it was naive & thoughtless. When no pressure on the ball you have to drop off & when you press, the whole side has to squeeze up. I am not sure we have the pace of player at the back to play a high press against quick sides.
  • I didn’t realise that West Ham United have now lost their first three home games of a new season for the first time in their history.
  • What’s worse is I think we’ve only won 2 home PL games in 2024.
  • DJ Hammer said:

I didn’t realise that West Ham United have now lost their first three home games of a new season for the first time in their history.

We haven't, we beat Bournemouth in our second home game of the season.
  • Bournemouth was in the Carabaeo cup not the PL. DJ was referring to league matches.
  • Everywhere I saw that stat referred to in the media, it was preceded by 'in the league' or 'league games'.

Most quotes haven't included that.

CONTEXT.

ACCURACY.

CHECK THE SOURCE.
  • Bournemouth was in the Carabaeo cup not the PL. DJ was referring to league matches.

He didn't say he was, hence my comment. He simply said first 3 home games, which included Bournemouth at home in the League Cup. I'm not saying he was at fault as he was only saying what he heard, but what he said was 100% wrong, as it was said.

Unfortunately it is true that we lost the first 3 home league games of a season for the first time ever.
  • edited September 26
    2 PL home wins in a calendar year so far must also be up there with the records.
  • 2 PL home wins in a calendar year so far must also be up there with the records.

I mean people will jump on Lopetegui (and they have a case) but given that for the record you've just spoken about his 'home' opponents have been Villa, Chelsea and City, just goes to show how fundamentally broken this team was/is