Pre-season friendlies - It's a match thread, Jim, but not as we know it

Comments

• Palace score inside 30 seconds
  • We've got a new player, a Michael, yes Michael, Antonio.
  • Michael Antonio has only gone and scored on his debut, coolly finishing a one v one after being put in by a poor Palace backpass.
  • Really poor attendance, makes you wonder why we've bothered going all the way out there to play 2 PL teams. I'm sure it's all related to the next World Cup, but, even so, it can hardly be called a roaring success.
  • Emerson really should have scored after a cross by Coufal hit the bar and fell straight to him.
  • Anyone still thinks Antonio will be our main man this season
  • steve said:

Anyone still thinks Antonio will be our main man this season

With the initial links to Duran, and now those to Füllkrug I'm really hoping that he won't be.

• Palace score again.
  • And again, 3-1 to Palace.
  • All about fitness at lest that's what i,m telling myself
  • steve said:

All about fitness at lest that's what i,m telling myself

Will you still be saying that in November 😂🤣😂?

I know there's players to come back in and hopefully new signings too, but given we've only one more match in pre-season, there's an awful lot of work to be done imo.
  • 3-1 FT, well worth staying up for 😂🤣😂.
  • edited August 4
    Let’s be honest, it’s pre-season so, again, not overly bothered by results but we do only have one more game to go before the big KO. The starting 11 last night shows why we need several signings because, let’s be honest, it’s not great. Fabianski, Coufal, Cresswell, Antonio, Soucek, JWP - all players who it has been argued for a while are past their sell by date, then you throw in Potts who was playing League One last season. Only really Kilman, Emerson & Kudus are players in that side you’d want playing regularly - maybe Mavropanos if he can become a decent CB. No Areola, Zouma, Alvarez, Paqueta, Bowen. How many games did we win last season with no Paqueta in the side?

By Celta Vigo we should have the three new signings 🤞, plus Paqueta & Bowen, involved in some capacity. But we have two weeks now & we’re going to need to work hard to be ready for that first game & hope these US games are simply what I hope they are - sloppy & rusty pre-season performances.

Our defending in this US tour has been really bad. But a week of intense fitness (hopefully) which now needs to become fine tuned into building towards our first 11 v Celts Vigo & then a good display.
  • Fabianski is 2nd choice and we've just signed Foderington as 3rd choice so highly unlikely we're going to be looking for another keeper

And who argued JWP is past his sell by date??? He's 29
  • It’s not all bad, we did beat Dagenham
  • I get pre-season is for fitness but the defending was atrocious especially Palace's third goal. Still massive reservations over our whole defence.
  • edited August 4
    Once we get the following side out:

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Kilman - Emerson
    Souček - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Paquetá - Kudus
    Antonio

We will see a much more cohesive performance from the side. That's not even including Summerville, Álvarez, Guilherme & the possible additional signings we may make in the next few days.

The chopping & changing so far in pre-season has allowed little time for any sort of cohesion, especially in defence. We've played all of Kilman, Zouma, Mavropanos, Aguerd, plus Kodua, Coufal, Cresswell & Emerson. In midfield we've played Souček, Potts, Orford, JWP. Coufal, Souček and Antonio all still lacking minutes having recently returned. Paquetá, Bowen, Areola yet to have any minutes.

Lopetegui traditionally makes sides good defensively. I would be surprised if we were defending like that against Villa.
  • What I would say is Guilherme is going to need to strengthen up. The second goal last night & one against Wolves have come from him being shoved off the ball. He’ll learn quickly.
  • edited August 4
    Watching the goals, there is no way the first two goals happen if it was a proper PL game. Never seen Coufal clear a ball that flimsily in the four years he’s been here. Mavropanos still not convincing (Schlupp beating him to a header, he’s half his size). Aguerd poorly clearing a ball putting Kilman in a spot of bother. All very sloppy goals (apart from maybe the 2nd Palace goal, but even then, no pressure on the cross from Emerson - fitness issue?).
  • I’d like to see this side for Saturday:

Areola
    Coufal - Kilman - Aguerd - Emerson
    JWP - Soucek - Paqueta
    Bowen - Antonio - Kudus

With Rodriguez, Summerville & Fullkrug to get second half minutes for Paqueta, Bowen & Antonio.
  • Can anybody see what the current status of the squad is? Are they back in the UK? I’ve browsed online for original details but can’t find them. Haven’t had any updates via the OS since the defeat to Palace 3 days ago.
  • Thought they were surprise to fly back last Monday
  • Lukerz said:

Can anybody see what the current status of the squad is? Are they back in the UK? I’ve browsed online for original details but can’t find them. Haven’t had any updates via the OS since the defeat to Palace 3 days ago.

Pretty sure they travelled back on Sunday, not sure if they trained Monday but I'm sure they would have done yesterday if not.

• Thanks both. It’s just odd as they make a big PR thing about them flying out there, usually post training pics on some of the socials plus we’ve had the new signings (possible meet & greets with the squad), yet nothing. It’s Thursday soon.

Have we not trained since Saturday?
  • I believe they were delayed returning by a few hours due to the latest hurricane to hit the Florida region.
  • Surely they would have been given a couple of days off after the trip?
    Then resumed today/tomorrow I would have thought
  • Plenty of Claret and Blue on the Central line
  • Just in case anyone didn't know, you can "Watch live coverage of West Ham United's Betway Cup clash with Celta Vigo on whufc.com, our official mobile app and official YouTube channel".
  • edited August 10
    Areola, Coufal, Mavropanos, Kilman, Emerson, Rodriguez, Souček, Paquetá, Bowen ©, Kudus, Antonio
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Herrick (GK), Cresswell, Summerville, Ward-Prowse, Füllkrug, Luis Guilherme, Ings, Cornet, Aguerd, Irving, Earthy, Casey, Kodua, Potts

Guessing more than the PL 5 subs will be allowed.
  • Agreement for 11