Pre-season friendlies - It's a match thread, Jim, but not as we know it

12346»

Comments

• edited August 10
    Aguerd with our fifth pen and he scores.

They score and so it goes to sudden death.

4-4
  • edited August 10
    Kilman up next, he scores.

So do they.

5-5
  • edited August 10
    Guilherme up and he scores.

And they blast it over the bar.

6-5 to the mighty Hammers who start the season with a European trophy 😂🤣😂.
  • How massive was that
  • edited August 12
    I watched the game back on YouTube as missed it Saturday. Some clear tweaks under JL already evident:

Intensity is increased - both in & out of possession. Not perfect, yet, but a clear change to a more ‘pressing’ style out of the ball to win it back high up the pitch & passing the ball quickly, even if just a short five yard pass backwards.

Kilman - he looks surprisingly confident & comfortable on the ball. They seem to look to give him the ball often & he drags us out from defence & passes forward. Also seems to be an out ball where he knocks a long ball forward.

Width - the pitch seemed very wide, as in both full-backs & wingers hugging touchlines, means there is acres of space in the midfield area & pressure to not turnover possession. Emerson also seemed to drift, occasionally, into the midfield zone, like a LCM. Wide formation also allows for switching play which happened a lot.

Play - both goals were very nice to watch, we did score goals like those under Moyes but equally they were a rarity - combination play of one touch passing - but given how early this is, it suggests to me that a lot of work has been done on patterns & passages of play in how you put movement & passes together to attack through the lines. Promising.

Defence - the major issue seen is that the goals we gave away were cheap. Need to sort this out. To add - Aguerd. I don’t know how many times this guy tries to clear a ball, doesn’t & we are in trouble. Did it against Palace before Kilman got beaten & then happened for the second goal against Celta. Sloppy decisions, poor execution, cheap goals. Maybe Todibo & AWB will help address this.
  • Lukerz said:

Defence - the major issue seen is that the goals we gave away were cheap. Need to sort this out. To add - Aguerd. I don’t know how many times this guy tries to clear a ball, doesn’t & we are in trouble. Did it against Palace before Kilman got beaten & then happened for the second goal against Celta. Sloppy decisions, poor execution, cheap goals. Maybe Todibo & AWB will help address this.

It was painful to watch it happen again, wasn't it, but I got the impression he was very definitely playing to orders. I know even the most "play it out from the back" sides occasionally feel there are no options and put their foot through it, and that knowing when to do that and when to seek a pass is crucial to making it work, but this was a pre-season friendly and we are trying a new style.

I suspect in a league game he would have been a bit more pragmatic given the higher stakes, but I guess we'll never know for sure.