Pre-season friendlies - It's a match thread, Jim, but not as we know it

I thought it might be easier to have one thread for the various friendlies rather than separate ones for each

Tomorrow we play Ferencvaros, Hungarian champions 6 seasons in a row. in Kitzbuhel, a small town in the Tyrolean Alps known more for skiing that football.

I haven't a clue why we are playing a Hungarian side in an Austrian ski resort but I'm sure it makes sense to someone wiser than me

Comments

• On Football Manager when you book a preseason tour you get the option to play other teams that are touring nearby. So I reckon it’s that.
  • Life imitating art?
  • MrsGrey said:

Life imitating art?

Football manager is art? I agree.
  • There's a stream but it's frozen; apparently we're 1-0 down.
  • 2-0 down now.
  • Losing 2-0 at half time.
  • Blimey. Ings from a free kick.
  • edited July 15
    Ings gets one back with a free kick from just outside the box; I hope JWP was watching (he came off at half time, as did pretty much all of the team that started; Kodua and Potts the only ones to continue past the break I think).
  • Cute little ground
  • 2-2, Aguerd levels things.
  • Then the ref blows for full time before the clock even reaches 90 mins, so 2-2 FT.
  • Not sure we can learn too much from it. They're further along in their preparation, their first league game is at the start of August.

It felt as though we were trying a much higher press at times (fitness permitting).

Earthy continues to impress, I hope he gets some good game time in the first team this season.
  • Managed to catch the last 10 minutes.
    Nice goal from Aguerd with the last kick of the game.
    Surprised to see Zouma playing to be honest.There is still no flex in those legs.
    Just a bit of pre-season training really.
  • Starters and substitution

Fabiański (Foderingham HT)
    Mavropanos (Zouma HT), Kilman (Aguerd HT), Cresswell (Emerson HT)
    Potts (Moore 68), Orford (Earthy HT), Ward-Prowse (Irving HT), Cornet (Ings HT)
    Kudus (Casey HT), Kodua (Marshall 60),C Guilherme (Kelly 54),

Subs not used: Terry (GK), Herrick (GK), Robinson

No sign of Downes but nice to see Irving on at half time, really interested to see what he's like
  • Downes was on his way back to England for his Southampton medical.
  • People on twitter apparently complaining about the game saying we are no better under the new manager and could only manage a draw against some unknown team. That unknown team being the Hungarian champions who start champions league games in a couple of weeks.
    Not sure if the twitter comments were meant as a wind up but if not then the morons are up and running.
  • It’s why I hate pre-season

How many times do we have to say; it’s about fitness & rhythm, nothing else
  • Next up tomorrow at 15:00
    Dagenham & Redbridge (a)

How To Follow…
    Saturday’s pre-season match will be streamed live from Chigwell Construction Stadium.

Fans in the United Kingdom will be able to watch on National League TV for just £4.99 - you will be able to buy passes from nationalleaguetv.com very shortly.

Meanwhile, overseas fans can watch live on West Ham TV, also for £4.99. International match passes can be purchased HERE.
  • What with the match clashing with the Test Match, the Open Golf, and the F1 Qualifying, and the fact that it's not available free as the first pre-season game was, I'll wait for the highlights I think.

Team:
    Fabiański, Casey, Zouma, KIlman, Emerson, Potts, Orford, Ward-Prowse, Luis Guilherme, Cornet, Marshall
    Subs: Foderingham (GK), Terry (GK), Aguerd, Cresswell, Kelly, Mavropanos, Scarles, Earthy, Irving, Kodua, Robinson, Kudus, Ings
  • Is Andy Irving the new Frank Lampard?
  • No, Frank Lampard is the old Andy Irving
  • Did anyone watch it? Irving got the only goal, and a very nice one it was too, in a 1-0 win, but I'd be interested to hear what people thought of our performance.
  • Did not watch it .But on hammers news they give each player marks out of 10 .Kilman got a 9 and a couple of kids got good scores .Dont know how true those marks are ,Would be interested if anyone did watch it and could give a report
  • I didn’t watch it, because I think at this stage of preseason you learn extremely little as it’s all just about getting yards in the legs over all else.

• Fabiański (Foderingham HT)
    Casey (Kodua HT), Zouma © (Mavropanos HT), Kilman (Aguerd HT), Emerson (Scarles 63), Potts (Irving HT), Orford (Kelly 63), Ward-Prowse (Kudus 63), Luis Guilherme (Earthy HT), Cornet (Cresswell HT), Marshall (Ings HT)

Subs not used: Terry (GK), Robinson
  • edited July 21
    Does anybody know where Kudus played when he came on? Was it as a 10?
  • Coufal, Souček & Antonio joined the squad today, leaving just Areola, Álvarez, Paquetá & Bowen to join up.
  • So guess those last 4 won't join up until the squad is back in UK after the American tour .And of course Alverez is injured anyway .Just hope Paqueta makes his flight if you get my drift otherwise he might get stuck in Brazil for the season =)