Palace (A) 3pm Sunday 21 April (not on TV)

1235»

Comments

• No complaints about the result. WHU were awful and never in the game. Paqueta was terrible. Shows the folly of letting three players leave in January. Lucky that we had points before Xmas. Since then it has been relegation form. It is goodbye to European football and we will be lucky to finish in the top-half of the table.
  • edited April 21
    genuinely worried about next season, we could be Leicester of last year and go down with this lot. Whoever is the manager next season has a right problem to deal with.
  • I didn't see the match so can't comment on the performance. The result suggest one of two things. Either we have not recovered physically or emotionally from Thursday and just had nothing left to call on, or..... Palace have suddenly become a different side. They did severely dent Liverpool's title hopes last week by beating them at Anfield. Not many do that.
  • There may be something in the first point but not the second but overall we were diabolically abysmal from the first whistle to the last really.
    Even deliberately trying to play badly couldn't account for that performance.
  • There are no excuses. We were atrocious & in no way should that be accepted by anybody at the club. Losing to Palace is one thing, losing comfortably is another, getting thrashed is another still but getting beat 4-0 in 30 minutes. That is unacceptable on every level. Sheffield United would be gutted to be 4-0 down in 30 minutes against Man City at the Etihad.
  • I lost count of the number of times Paqueta gave the ball away. He is a talented player but in most games, he gets caught in possession as he tries to showboat. And then he tries to commit fouls and play-acts. He was the worst player on the pitch today. May be his head in already in MANC.
  • edited April 21

It's felt as though Paqueta's head hasn't been here for a few games, at least since the first leg against Leverkusen; perhaps he expects not to be here next season and it's affecting him.

Honestly the guy had maybe 10 good games at the beginning of the season and has been average at best any other time.

People were praiseworthy of him towards the end of last season but I don’t think he was ever that good (certainly not consistently), it was just nice to see him closer to what we’d hoped we had been paying for when we bought him.
  • There is no doubt he is good and can do things other can't but he comes with a price which is lost possession, inconsistency and a very poor temperament. He will be gone in the summer but I fear not for his release clause value.
  • Whenever ASLEF gives a write-up that suggests the opposition are suffering injuries, loss of form etc. we end up losing.

#NothavingadigatAslef
    ;)

Don't say I didn't say so. ;)
  • genuinely worried about next season, we could be Leicester of last year and go down with this lot. Whoever is the manager next season has a right problem to deal with.

I wonder, with the historical trauma of supporting West Ham for decades, if this is a thing for a lot of us? I too am a bit worried that players like Paqueta will go and we will struggle to get in strong players for the squad. It really isnt a big dip from being top half of the table to fighting relegation for a good deal of the teams in the league.

Yes, Europe is over and with the teams we have to play this season it will not be a place we'll be visiting next season. Perhaps just concentrating on staying in the Prem will be a good idea as I wonder with ins and outs what shapre our squad will be in
  • edited April 22
    We were abysmal but it’s unfair not to also praise Palace for how they played, put us under pressure and took their chances.

I didn't see the match so can't comment on the performance. The result suggest one of two things. Either we have not recovered physically or emotionally from Thursday and just had nothing left to call on, or..... Palace have suddenly become a different side. They did severely dent Liverpool's title hopes last week by beating them at Anfield. Not many do that.

We were abysmal but it’s unfair not to also praise Palace for how they played, put us under pressure and took their chances.
    We were definitely low energy. I think it was physical rather than emotional. The result IMHO was due to the pressure of having a small and aging squad and our disastrous January dealings. That doesn’t excuse Paqueta and Emerson that didn’t play Thursday and had a weeks rest.
  • We attacked for 4 minutes. Then Palace showed us how to do it properly. Glasner has transformed them. I'm hoping a new manager can do the same for us, because at the moment we're dysfunctional.
  • Well you know me by now, I can always find a positive from a display like that.

My stream was brilliant.
  • Slacker said:

Well you know me by now, I can always find a positive from a display like that.

My stream was brilliant.

Fishing again mate? 😂
  • Aston Villa and Liverpool played European games during the week too and both won yesterday. So fatigue isn't a good explanation for WHU performance. Maybe it is poor squad depth. manger's unwillingness to torotate, match tactics, substitutions or poor player mentality that is responsible for dismal 2024. Alonso wouldn't have waited until half-time to change players, formation or tactics, Moyes does. Paqueta feels that his starting birth is guaranteed. Hence indulgence and poor play. Coronet hardly get a look-in. Could fringe players have played any worse?
  • Probably or they wouldn’t just be fringe players
  • Slacker said:

Well you know me by now, I can always find a positive from a display like that.

My stream was brilliant.

My positive was that i couldnt get a stream to watch it 😂
  • Moyes hasn't played the fatigue card, he just said it was a shocking performance.
  • IronHerb said:

Moyes hasn't played the fatigue card, he just said it was a shocking performance.

He looks ashen faced in that interview, he just about kept a lid on it.
    I’d love to been a fly on the wall in that dressing room.

• edited April 22
    Bazshuayi said:

genuinely worried about next season, we could be Leicester of last year and go down with this lot. Whoever is the manager next season has a right problem to deal with.

I wonder, with the historical trauma of supporting West Ham for decades, if this is a thing for a lot of us? I too am a bit worried that players like Paqueta will go and we will struggle to get in strong players for the squad. It really isnt a big dip from being top half of the table to fighting relegation for a good deal of the teams in the league.

Yes, Europe is over and with the teams we have to play this season it will not be a place we'll be visiting next season. Perhaps just concentrating on staying in the Prem will be a good idea as I wonder with ins and outs what shapre our squad will be in
    There are literally only 3 teams that have conceded more goals than us this season and they all occupy the relegation spots. Make no mistake we are going to be bang in trouble next season I think. Too many thrashings this season and get out of free backs to the wall daylight robbery performances from this team. The luck will run out big time much like Leicester's did.
  • No need to worry Maguire will fix up our defence =)
  • Whenever ASLEF gives a write-up that suggests the opposition are suffering injuries, loss of form etc. we end up losing.

#NothavingadigatAslef
    ;)

Don't say I didn't say so. ;)
    Glad I was working and missed it!!
  • steve said:

No need to worry Maguire will fix up our defence =)

Yeah, it's not like he was part of a Man Utd defence that shipped 3 goals in 25 minutes against a Championship side, is it?