Palace (A) 3pm Sunday 21 April (not on TV)

Comments

• Offside I think
  • Here’s one of the problems with Moyes.
    Most managers would make some sort of change after going 4-0 after 30 minutes
  • Will Hughes booked to give us that freekick, by the way. Same Will Hughes who hacked Paqueta down in the 3rd minute and got away without a card for no apparent reason.
  • edited April 21

How has this team accumulated 48 points????

We did it all in the first half of the season before everyone was knackered. 33 points from 19 games, 15 from 15 return fixtures (assuming we get nothing from this game) with Chelsea (showing some form now), Liverpool and Man City still to come (hopefully get something from Luton).

We nick a goal back.
  • MIAHammer said:

Here’s one of the problems with Moyes.
    Most managers would make some sort of change after going 4-0 after 30 minutes

Alonso took off a centre back at 1-0 after 25 minutes on Thursday. Moyes has limited options, sure, but he’s very passive.
  • Barney said:

Why feel sorry for Moyes? He chose to let players go in January, he chooses our defensive style, he prefers a small squad. Some or most of our players are just not at the game but it is not surprising given the above.

I agree with most of this. However, the players should be better.
  • alderz said:

Will Hughes booked to give us that freekick, by the way. Same Will Hughes who hacked Paqueta down in the 3rd minute and got away without a card for no apparent reason.

He got away with it because Soucek went and made a silly challenge before the ref could give the card to Hughes so the ref decided that they cancel each other out.
  • MIAHammer said:

alderz said:

Will Hughes booked to give us that freekick, by the way. Same Will Hughes who hacked Paqueta down in the 3rd minute and got away without a card for no apparent reason.

He got away with it because Soucek went and made a silly challenge before the ref could give the card to Hughes so the ref decided that they cancel each other out.
    No, he got away with it because the ref decided not to book him. We should have had a free kick at the time, and he should have been booked at the time. It’s weak officiating, as it is every week.
  • edited April 21
    alderz said:

No, he got away with it because the ref decided not to book him. We should have had a free kick at the time, and he should have been booked at the time. It’s weak officiating, as it is every week.

Ref played a reasonable advantage, the foul was a long way from their goal so not a particularly threatening free kick position. MIA then sums things up though; I think without Soucek's foul Hughes gets a card as that was the first break of play after the foul on Paqueta.

• So it’s not weak officiating to not book a player because he feels he would have to also book a different player?
  • If Hughes should be off, then you could argue Soucek would be as well. Howeverm both may well have played differently and not got a second yellow if they had already been booked.
  • alderz said:

So it’s not weak officiating to not book a player because he feels he would have to also book a different player?

I do see your point, and you have a good argument.
  • I bet the players were pleased to hear the half time whistle, if we are being honest, the scoreline is actually flattering to us.

Not sure what will happen in the second half, the game is gone but we surely need to show some passion and desire not to repeat the past 45mins.
  • As last week, at least I've got roast lamb to look forward to again.
  • You been rustling Buffy?
  • Dreadful. Pacqueta and Kudos hardly in the game. Midfield wide open. Defence hopeless. Don't like to see Alvarez in the back three. Moyes needs to reshuffle and hope to clinch a 4-4 draw.

Lol no, I bought a leg of lamb when it was on special for Easter and cut it into 3 joints. Each joint is way too big for one person really, but, what can I say, I love roast lamb.
  • Cresswell and Johnson coming on.
  • Hopefully with nobody having to go off.
  • Soucek and Ogbonna off.

Lol no, I bought a leg of lamb when it was on special for Easter and cut it into 3 joints. Each joint is way too big for one person really, but, what can I say, I love roast lamb.
    Believe me that does not make you a bad person, being over here, good lamb is hard to find, every cut and variation of beef you can shake a stick at but Lamb, not so much and it is my favorite

• Decent save by Fab, I'm amazed they didn't score there.
  • Paqueta’s doing my head in. Just throwing himself to the ground for nothing, giving the ball away, and then having tantrums instead of working back.
  • Late in the first half he clearly clipped the runner and threw a tantrum when called out on it, it was embarrassing
  • Soucek and Ogbonna off.

Being rested?
  • edited April 21
    This is the 9th time this season that we've conceded 3 or more in the league. Even last season when we finished 14th that only happened 5 times, and we've still got Liverpool, Man City and a starting to fire Chelsea to play.
  • And I managed to get a perfect stream that doesn't buffer or freeze. Oh joy.
  • alderz said:

So it’s not weak officiating to not book a player because he feels he would have to also book a different player?

alderz said:

alderz said:

I don’t necessarily think it’s weak. I would consider it fair. We complain when referees hand out lots of cards. He weighed it up and felt that the challenges cancelled each other out, especially as it happened early in the game. I agree it would be weak officiating if this happened later in the game when a player was already on a yellow.
    You’re complaining because you feel Hughes should have been sent off. If Hughes doesn’t make that second challenge would you still be calling it weak officiating if Soucek then avoids being sent off because he wasn’t booked earlier?
  • Likely to be 12 times then if we can stop Luton.
  • It's felt as though Paqueta's head hasn't been here for a few games, at least since the first leg against Leverkusen; perhaps he expects not to be here next season and it's affecting him.