Back in (the) Black (Forest) SC Freiburg 8pm Thurs 7th March (live on TNT Sports 2)

Comments

• Dreadful.
  • Noooooo!!!
  • That's a bit rubbish too
  • And no change in attack
  • Why bring Philips on?
  • Casually given away by Alvarez I think (even though my commentator said it was Mavropanos), and then we let them walk through us. Zouma seemed asleep for the final pass.
  • We obviously didn't bore them enough hahaha
  • A chance, but Zouma couldn't adjust his body quickly enough.
  • Antonio on for 3 minutes of added time, Paqueta off.
  • Antonio on for 3 minutes of added time, Paqueta off.

Should have happened 15 minutes ago
  • That has to be a pen
  • Lengthy VAR check for a penalty for us, would be extremely harsh, but have seen these given, especially in Europe.
  • I personally don’t think that’s a penalty, but it’s also odd to see such a long review be not given.
  • Ref went to the monitor, and no penalty.
  • Hilarious how that was not awarded. Arm high above head in an unnatural position, ref goes to monitor. Decides to set a brand new precedent for football.
  • Huge call goes against us as usual.
  • Terrible decision on penalty. We should never have lost that match though.
  • We had chances to win but didn't do much and were pedestrian. That was a penalty all day long. Paqueta was terrible and I lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away. Moyes even worse for not substituting him 20 minutes earlier. Still, only one goal down and hopefully can rescue the game next week.
  • In the PL that would have been given. But having said that Freiburg showed more desire thoughout the match.
    To be honest if we are going to play like this I much rather we go out in this round and concentrate on the league than be embarrassed by one of the big boys in the next round.
  • In Europe I'm really surprised that pen wasn't given, I think a small degree of common sense would have seen it quickly dismissed in the PL this season.
  • I actually think the ref got it right as it was such an unnatural place for both arms that I feel Soucek pushed into his lower back. I think the ref had a great game tonight and was thinking long before the end that he was a cut above any I have seen in the Premier league lately. I wish a few of ours would have the courage to view a monitor without feeling they have to change the call.

The goal came from a mis-hit and as the commentator rightly said Zouma not being aware of the guy behind him. We could have pressed on when in control and tried to win the match but I also recognise that game management is a big part of these two leg matches. It will not be easy as they have something to protect now but we definitely have the beating of them at our place.

Disappointed but still optimistic
  • Zouma was well aware of the player behind him because he kept looking back and could see he was there but when the ball came across he was watching it and made no attempt to get to it.
  • Very rare for a ref not to give a penalty after looking at the monitor. It was a penalty and should have been given.
  • edited March 7
    It’s a penalty. Simple. Modern rules & standards, regardless of what we think, it’s a penalty. Especially in European football.

Just look at the Livromento one against PSG.

Of course, the only time a ref looks at a monitor & sticks with his original call, is against us.
  • The goal we let in, the blame is with Alvarez. Can go on about Zouma. Alvarez gave the ball away under no pressure in his own half.
  • According the Paramount, the ref didn't give the penalty as he says Soucek pushed the defender in the back.
  • This result is not half as bad after a bottle of red =)
  • steve said:

This result is not half as bad after a bottle of red =)

Few things are in my experience.
  • The first half neither side looked good but I felt we were the better side in the second half and a draw would have been a fair result

We'll qualify for the quarters in front of a home crowd next week and someone else can do the match threads as I'll be busy in West Virginia next week