Back in (the) Black (Forest) SC Freiburg 8pm Thurs 7th March (live on TNT Sports 2)

edited March 3 in Match Threads
So almost five months to the day after our last visit we return to deepest, darkest Baden

Apart from their European adventure they’re not having a great season. Like us they were knocked out of the Cup by a second tier midtable side, Paderborn, and they’ve had a pretty dismal start to 2024, One win in 8 games with four losses and two draws in the last six, leaving them 9th.

Apart from injuries and suspensions Christian Streich (still there after 12 years and 2 months) doesn’t change his starting XI much

LW Vincenzo Grifo is top scorer with 11 in 32 although 8 of those were penalties while another was a free kick (and 3 were against TSC).

RW Roland Sallai has 8 in 27 (including their only goal against us) although in recent games he’s been played as a striker paired with CF Lukas Höler who has 7 in 34 and has started all but two games in 2024. CF Michael Gregoritsch has 8 in 30 but has only had 2 starts in the last 7 games

First choice CB Phillip Lienhert missed their visit to London with injury and needed groin surgery but Streich reckons he could be back training with the first team this week so maybe a place on the bench

RB Lukas Kubler picked up a thigh injury the weekend before last against Augsburg and was missing for the Bayern match with 21yo Killian Sildillia starting in his place.

On the other side of the coin CB Matthias Ginter recovered from an Achilles strain while club captain LB Christian Gunter has finally recovered from the broken arm he suffered in pre-season and both started against Bayern.

Starting XI vs Bayern Munich

Atubolu
Sildillia Ginter Gulde Gunter
Doan Eggestein Höfler Grifo
Sallai Höler

Comments

• Fabianski
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Bowen - Paqueta

No time for mucking around. Areola can sit this out but strongest side.
  • Lukerz said:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Bowen - Paqueta

No time for mucking around. Areola can sit this out but strongest side.

Aguerd in for Zouma, but otherwise I agree.
  • At the pointy end now so definitely need our strongest side from here on.
  • I agree with Buffy but as Zouma is captain I don't think Moyes will drop him for this one
  • Zouma's workload has had to be managed for quite a while anyway, even before the recent decline in his mobility; he's definitely not up to 3 games in a week so he surely has to sit out either this or the weekend match against Burnley.
  • Oggy has been captain three of the seven times Zouma was unavailable but as Holer and Sallai are both pretty nippy I think a Mavropanos/Aguerd pairing might be preferable

Fab was captain when Zouma was unavailable for the first Olympiacos match and Arsenal in the Carabao Cup
  • So there’s a train strike in Germany for the next 3 days, av a word ASLEF, along with Lufthansa so travel is going to be a bit of a trek for some. Fortunately I’m on a charter and a FlixBus.
    The general consensus is that this is a winnable game to which I concur. 2-0 to the massive Hammers. ⚒
  • Hope you enjoy your trip Herbie.
  • Depending on how the game progresses, it would be good to see some promising young players get a few minutes. We won the FA Youth Cup and done well in the Academy leagues but unlike Liverpool hardly anyone is coming through the ranks.
  • edited March 5
    A quick check at players who came up from the U21s this season and have had first team experience shows that Liverpool are exceptional, probably because they've had years of investing in youth development

Everton are next, maybe its a Scouse thing or maybe they are having to use more U21s due the FFP issue

We're pretty average

Liverpool

Everton

Aston Villa
    Brentford
    Brighton
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Newcastle
    Sheff Utd
    West Ham

Arsenal
    Bournemouth
    Burnley
    Palace
    Fulham
    Luton
    Forest
    Spurs
    Wolves
  • Trying to think if there’s a time when we’ve had 3 or 4 victories against a team in the same season which is something we are going to need in this tie.
  • edited March 5
    Didn't we beat Liverpool 3 times in the last season at the Boleyn? And had a draw to make up the 4 games against them.
  • We did, yes.
  • IronHerb said:

So there’s a train strike in Germany for the next 3 days, av a word ASLEF, along with Lufthansa so travel is going to be a bit of a trek for some. Fortunately I’m on a charter and a FlixBus.
    The general consensus is that this is a winnable game to which I concur. 2-0 to the massive Hammers. ⚒

Enjoy mate.⚒

• Just remembered our fans were barred the last time we visited Freiburg
  • The people on the Freiburg forum are fairly optimistic of a win but they would take a narrow defeat, too. They are pretty happy with their front line but a little worried about their defence so possibly something for Bowen and Kudus to exploit.
    Although I would love to go, Freiburg is a little too far for me at the moment, I don't want to leave the missus with a newborn and two more little children while I go enjoying myself, so I will be sitting in front of the box cheering on the hammers.
    The song "over land and sea" popped up in my mind yesterday, I used to have that cassette. No more Romanians or Danes in the squad now but our Czechs are as strong as ever.
  • I’m not superstitious but this might concern those who are.
    We’ve been invited by some friends to meet up for lunch tomorrow and it’s the 5th time since last summer. On the previous occasions, mostly on a Sunday, it was a match day and I’ve just checked and on each occasion we lost.
  • IronHerb - are you flying out with Sport Options from Stansted? If so, I’ll see you in the morning - if I knew what you looked like!!!!
  • IronHerb - are you flying out with Sport Options from Stansted? If so, I’ll see you in the morning - if I knew what you looked like!!!!

Yes I am so I'll catch up with you at the airport. I'll be the old, grey and haggard one, wearing a West Ham shirt. 👨🏻‍🦳

• edited March 6
    IronHerb said:

I'll be the old, grey and haggard one, wearing a West Ham shirt. 👨🏻‍🦳

That probably describes half of us on here...
  • IronHerb said:

I'll be the old, grey and haggard one, wearing a West Ham shirt. 👨🏻‍🦳

That probably describes half of us on here...
    I didn't want to say that...... 😂
  • It’ll be like looking in the mirror!! We probably know each other without realising it!!
  • It’ll be like looking in the mirror!! We probably know each other without realising it!!

Separated at birth, maybe. ;)
  • Aguerd a fitness doubt:

"We’ve got a question mark about Nayef Aguerd and Maxi [Cornet] has not travelled so we’ll have to see how those boys are, but apart from that everybody else is fit and healthy".

https://www.whufc.com/news/talking-points-moyes-sc-freiburg-european-experience-welcome-support-and-return-form
  • I think it's a huge advantage being away in the first leg as we can be happy with the scoreline at kick off but they know they have to come onto us and score, which hopefully will suit our counter attacking set up.

I am hoping for a Paquetta masterclass as he has had two games to get back into the groove after his injury and will want to show what he can do in Europe. as long as he, Bowen and Kudus are on the pitch we have goals in us.
  • I think it's a huge advantage being away in the first leg as we can be happy with the scoreline at kick off but they know they have to come onto us and score, which hopefully will suit our counter attacking set up.

I am hoping for a Paquetta masterclass as he has had two games to get back into the groove after his injury and will want to show what he can do in Europe. as long as he, Bowen and Kudus are on the pitch we have goals in us.

Unfortunately we also have conceding goals in us; we've not had a clean sheet in our last 9 in all competitions.

• Respect the point .i mean the draw =)
  • Leverkusen and Liverpool, surely the 2 favourites for the EL, are both in action in the 5.45pm kick offs, away to Qarabag and Sparta Prague respectively. Let's hope for 2 big home wins 🤞🤞🤞.
  • Liverpool already up.
  • Leverkusen and Liverpool, surely the 2 favourites for the EL, are both in action in the 5.45pm kick offs, away to Qarabag and Sparta Prague respectively. Let's hope for 2 big home wins 🤞🤞🤞.

So much for that, Liverpool 2 up now.