Luton (A) Friday 1st September 8pm Sky

edited August 2023 in Match Threads
My prediction that I wouldn't be starting match threads by the end of August appears to have been a tad pessimistic but I am pretty sure someone else will be doing the honours by the end of September.

This will be Luton's first home match in the top flight since 2nd May 1992 (lost 2-1 Notts County) as the match against Burnley had to be postponed because they'd not finished tarting up Kenilworth Road (lipstick on a pig). Guaranteed we will hear plenty about the last time we were played them, when we play on Friday night it will have been 29 years, 5 months and 9 days since they dumped us out of the FA Cup

Luton's start to the season has been the exact opposite of ours, losing 4-1 to Brighton and 3-0 to Chelsea. Their only goal came from a penalty, scored by CF Carlton Morris who was their top scorer last season with 20 and they only managed one shot on target against Chelsea, from record signing LB Ryan Giles, £4.5m from Wolves

Both times they set up in a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 depending how you look at it. They're basically a Championship side, their five most expensive transfers were all signed this summer for a total of £17m.

As mentioned there will be a few familiar faces; Reece Burke, Pelly Ruddock Mpanza and Ross Barkley although Dan Potts is injured, not expected back until October. Last season they also had Henri Lansbury but he retired when his contract expired and has started his own business selling organic fertiliser.

Add to that ex-Newcastle GK Tim Krul who joined from Norwich a couple of weeks ago and was on the bench against Chelsea.

The fact that we've beaten the two teams who have beaten them is rather encouraging but I suspect that Moyes will change tactics and will be a lot more “on the front foot” with a lot more possession. We are currently bottom with an average of 27.4% while Luton are second last with 31.1%

Hopefully Soucek is okay but even if he has to sit this one out I think we've got more than enough to handle Luton

Scott Oakes is now a director of a courier company in Bedford and coaches kid's football

Did anyone know his dad was in Showaddywaddy?

Comments

• I give that prologue above 10 out of 10.
  • ASLEF, you never fail to amaze. =)
  • Never easy to go to a team that has just come up for there first home game ,Having said that would be upset if we dont get the 3 points
  • Awww thanks, folks
  • Petition for aslef to launch every match thread, regardless of result
  • Good idea we know he has nothing better to do =)
  • Says you!

I've just got into work, my train is at Woodford and it's Notting Hill Carnival weekend

Going to be a fun 8 hours!

You M-F 9-5 types... =)
  • Says you!

I've just got into work, my train is at Woodford and it's Notting Hill Carnival weekend

You M-F 9-5 types... =)

Don't forget the pensioners and those with independent means =)
  • Says you!

You M-F 9-5 types... =)

Oi you, there's nothing wrong with pensioners =)
  • edited August 2023
    What could be more West Ham than losing after two great results to teams that beat Luton comfortably, to a team that are probably the most likely team to be relegated and probably can't even believe they are in the Premiership.

The only thing that could be even more is to then go and take a point from City afterwards.

Yet after a great performance against Brighton I am going for a free scoring win.
  • It will be a completely different game though, they'll be trying to do to us what we did to Brighton yesterday. This could be quite a test; it's this sort of game that led to Moyes wanting to change our style at the start of last season as our counter-attacking had kinda been found out. Hopefully we've got enough versatility in the squad now to break down a team that doesn't come onto us.
  • I would ask Paquetta to play further forward as if anyone is going to unpick them in the final third it will be him. An early goal will change the game (if it's for us) as they will have to come forward and we can break again.
  • Says you!

You M-F 9-5 types... =)

Oi you, there's nothing wrong with pensioners =)
    Oi yourself, I know, I'm one as well. ;)
  • Nobody wants to see two old duffers squabbling, pack it in! Hahaha
  • Oi Preston, leave it. You're totally outnumbered. 👨🏻‍🦳👨🏻‍🦳👨🏻‍🦳
  • I think the side is likely to be fairly similar, but the approach is going to have to be very different against these lot.

Areola; Coufal Zouma Aguerd Emerson; Alvarez; Bowen JWP Paqueta Benrahma; Antonio
  • edited August 2023
    I’d keep Ogbonna in for Aguerd.

They’re quite a long-ball, direct side.
  • They are, but we will probably have more of the ball than usual, so the more players on the pitch that are comfortable in possession the better, IMO.
  • Judging from the Youtube clips the new CB Mavropanos looks very comfortable in possession.
  • He’s not available until after the international break.
  • I've not been able to watch any of the games yet this season (due to getting married) and will only be able to watch the first half of Luton. So if we're losing that first half, I hand over my season ticket to Aslef.
  • I've not been able to watch any of the games yet this season (due to getting married) and will only be able to watch the first half of Luton. So if we're losing that first half, I hand over my season ticket to Aslef.

Congratulations!
  • Congratulations Outcast
  • When you say "I've not been able to watch any of the games yet this season (due to getting married) " is that a sign of things to come? 😂

Congratulations.
  • edited August 2023

I've not been able to watch any of the games yet this season (due to getting married) and will only be able to watch the first half of Luton. So if we're losing that first half, I hand over my season ticket to Aslef.

Thanks for the offer but I'm getting married sometime next year, depending on when the fiancé finally emigrates from the USA

Also I work almost every Saturday...
  • Wow. Congratulations.
  • I'm also getting married next year, so congratulations to everyone I reckon!
  • Congratulations everyone. Champions League next year I think.
  • Shame none of us newly weds will be able to see it...