The Great Europa League Adventure 2023-24

Comments

• So Arsenal get Bayern and then either Real Madrid or City if they get through.
  • AC Milan v Roma
  • Liverpool v Atalanta
  • Leverkusen, away first leg
  • Benfica v Marseille
  • Italian Semi final opponent if we get there, away first leg against either Roma or AC Milan
  • Oh well. To win it, like any good competition, we have to beat the big teams. Possibly the Pool in the Final......okay, I'll get my coat
  • Liverpool v Atalanta

Scamacca hat trick please
  • We are away in the final too.
  • Tough draw… for Leverkusen 😎
  • They’re unbeaten this season so that has to end at some point.
  • edited March 15
    The start of that run was when they beat us 4-0 pre season. Revenge is sweet and best served cold.
  • Interesting side show in that we, England, and Germany are pretty much neck and neck for an extra Champions' League place next year. Now we've got Leverkusen and Arsenal have got Munich. It could directly benefit us, as it would bump the Europa League and Conference League qualification places another place down the league too I believe. It looks like we're finishing somewhere between 7th and 11th, and that might push a Europa League place to 7th and a Conference League place to 8th.

Alternatively we win the Europa League and qualify for the Champions League anyway!
  • Interesting side show in that we, England, and Germany are pretty much neck and neck for an extra Champions' League place next year. Now we've got Leverkusen and Arsenal have got Munich. It could directly benefit us, as it would bump the Europa League and Conference League qualification places another place down the league too I believe. It looks like we're finishing somewhere between 7th and 11th, and that might push a Europa League place to 7th and a Conference League place to 8th.

Alternatively we win the Europa League and qualify for the Champions League anyway!

Wouldn't it just do nice to send klippy away defeated in the final 😁😁😁
  • edited March 15
    Not ideal but at least we avoided Liverpool, sadly Liverpool avoided the bigger teams and will more than likely be at the final, we really needed Liverpool and Leverkusen in the same half so we would only need beat one of them and not both.

It will be a real challenge but it's what European Competition is all about, we have a real advantage in being away first and if we can still be in the tie for the second leg anything could happen at home. I 'm looking forward to it already.
  • Without doubt, the trick is to still be in with a shout for the return leg at home, the atmosphere will carry the day

COYI
  • It's a really tough draw as we'll likely have to play each of the biggest 3 teams still in the competition; Leverkusen in the QF, then probably AC Milan if we reach the SF, and finally it's likely to be Liverpool in the final.

All in all it couldn't have been much worse; woulda been nice if some of the (other) better teams had been drawn against each other.
  • I dont really have a problem with them drawing the 1/4 and semi final at the same time for efficiencys sake. However, I'd rather they didnt so we didnt know the path and could await another draw if we got through.

Wouldn't it just do nice to send klippy away defeated in the final 😁😁😁
    I obviously want us to win but I will be mighty surprised if Liverpool dont. I think if we could even get to the final it would be a massive achievment!
  • Great tie. Will be a fantastic occasion.

Marseille were probably the team to get but, other than LFC, the rest are pretty even.
  • Lukerz said:

Great tie. Will be a fantastic occasion.

Marseille were probably the team to get but, other than LFC, the rest are pretty even.

I don't see that at all tbh; Leverkusen are unbeaten all season and 10 points clear at the top of the Bundesliga and AC Milan are 2nd in Serie A, whereas Roma and Atalanta are 5th and 6th respectively and Benfica play in a significantly weaker league (currently only 2nd albeit only by 1 point). I agree that Marseille would probably be the easiest, but would argue that Leverkusen and AC Milan offer a significantly tougher challenge than Roma, Atalanta or Benfica.

• I admit I wouldve been happier with anyone but Leverkusen or Liverpool
  • edited March 15
    I would not have wanted Roma. The Roma who just beat Brighton 4-0?

Atalanta, maybe. Benfica have a lot of European history as a club, including Champions League campaigns. Milan you have pedigree & the San Siro.

I don’t think there is much between the clubs, Liverpool aside.
  • edited March 16
    I obviously hope not but any neutral looking at that draw will expect a Liverpool Vs Leverkusen final , which would be quite some game.

One thing is for sure Leverskusen will not take us lightly after watching that demolition and the quality of the goals last night, against a team they will know all about.

They play Frieburg this Sunday so it will be interesting to see how they get on. They beat them 2-1 earlier in the season.
  • I think it is fantastic that we are amongst some very big teams in a big competition.
    I am loving ths journey again.
  • Just didn't want to go back to Germany again. ☹️
  • The added thing too, is our technical director & the intel he will have on Bayer & their players/system.
  • Leverkusen were losing for nearly an hour today before scoring goals in the 88th and 91st minutes for a 2-1 win. As long as we're not susceptible to conceding late goals we should be fine 🤔🤔🤔😂🤣😂😭😭😭
  • I am sure Moyes has a cunning plan for not conceding late goals and will have done his homework, you can never second guess Moyes but quite possibly he will shore up the defence late on by swapping Antonio for Cresswell, and Kudus for Johnson, bound to work.