The Great Europa League Adventure 2023-24

Comments

• AC Milan will be a tough match for anyone but no other side that you would imagine being beyond us at our best. Sadly it's hard to not see Liverpool walking it in third gear this year. British clubs must be favourite for all three trophies as Villa should take the Conference and then Liverpool and City the main two.

We will need to find our form again before we can anticipate progressing to the business end of the competition, and that has to start tomorrow.

The only hope with Liverpool is Klopp resting players in the Europa League, given the squad is pretty thin. If they take it seriously, hard to see anybody knocking them out.
  • Three seasons in a row in Europe, three seasons in a row we topped the group. Impressive feat, that. Now go on amd reach the quarters.
  • Never mind the Quarters , We need to win this thing
  • I big nod to Brighton, they had they hardest group in my opinion and got off to a bad start but still managed to win their group. If we don't win it I hope they do, and if they don't then anyone but Liverpool.
  • EUROPA LEAGUE 23-24

Total Prize Money: €499,896,000

Group Stage Week 6 -

Qualified to group stage: €3,630,000 ✅
    Match won in group stage: €630,000 x 5 ✅
    Group Draw Pot: €105,545 ✅
    1st in Group Stage: €1,100,000 ✅
    Round of 16: €1,200,000 ✅
    Quarter-Final: €1,800,000
    Semi-Final: €2,800,000
    Runners Up: €4,600,000
    Winner: €8,600,000

Coefficient Ranking payment: €132,000 per Coefficient ranking position (12th): €2,772,000 ✅

Market Pool* €69,750,000 / Number of Associations in Group Stage x 30%: €996,429 ✅
    Market Pool** (Group Stage) €27,900,000 - Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €422,727 ✅
    Market Pool** (Round of 16) €13,950,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: € 387,500 ✅ (Minimum)

Market Pool** (Round of 8) €9,070,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €
    Market Pool** (Semi Final) €5,580,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €
    Market Pool** (Final) €2,790,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €

Running Total : €13,771,534 😎

Plus home attendances of 41,374 - 55,811 - 48,876
  • Galatasaray would be tough
  • edited December 2023

Galatasaray would be tough

Yeah, I wouldn't fancy going away to Turkey at the moment, when a club chairman punches a ref you know things are getting a bit out of hand

Also the blokes who own my local corner shop are massive Gala fans so I would like to be able to buy some beers after the match
  • Galatasaray would be tough

Yeah, I wouldn't fancy going away to Turkey at the moment, when a club chairman punches a ref you know things are getting a bit out of hand

Also the blokes who own my local corner shop are massive Gala fans so I would like to be able to buy some beers after the match
    Presumably that's the corner shop in London, not West Virginia. =)
  • edited December 2023

Presumably that's the corner shop in London, not West Virginia. =)

Indeed, got back to the Smoke Wednesday morning but still seriously jet lagged

And its a lot colder here than over there in the Appalachian mountains

Good news is the future Mrs shrugged should be moving to London in the spring so no more 8 hours transatlantic flights plus three hours sat in Charlotte waiting for a connecting flight
  • Knockout round draw

Feyenoord v Roma
    Milan v Rennes
    Lens v Freiburg
    Young Boys v Sporting
    Benfica v Toulouse
    Braga v Qarabag
    Galatasaray v Sparta Prague
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Marseille

Games played 15th & 22nd February

Draw for Round of 16 23rd February
  • First legs were played last night, not too many surprises apart from Qarabag of Azerbaijan winning 4-2 away to Braga. Apart from a 3-0 win by AC Milan at home to Rennes, there's were only 2 other matches with more than one goal in it; the aforementioned Qarabag result and Sporting winning 3-1 at Young Boys, so plenty to play for in most of the second legs.

Last night's first leg results:

Feyenoord 1 Roma 1
    AC Milan 3 Rennes 0
    Lens 0 Freiburg 0
    Young Boys 1 Sporting 3
    Benfica 2 Toulouse 1
    Braga 2 Qarabag 4
    Galatasaray 3 Sparta Prague 2
    Shakhtar Donetsk 2 Marseille 2
  • Sporting have the hottest striker in Europe this season, Goykores, with 28 goals in 30 games plus a few assists. Not too much of a shock imo.
  • edited February 16
    Goykores has 24 goals (4 penalties) in 24 domestic games plus 4 goals (2 penalties) in 6 Europa league games
    Joao Pedro is top Europa League scorer with 6 in 6

Interestingly Brighton sold Goykores to Coventry City in July 2021 for £1m who sold him to Sporting after two seasons for £17.5m plus £3.5m add ons

Made 8 appearances for BHA in cup competitions, scored against Pompey in 2020
  • I must admit I watched a few Coventry City games towards the end of last season as we were being linked with him. I wasn't overly disappointed that we didn't get him, and, despite the season he's having for Sporting, I'm not convinced he'd have done particularly well for us and the way we play under Moyes.
  • Second legs of the knockout games are played tonight, with the draw for the last 16 taking place tomorrow.
  • Two of the early fixtures have gone to extra time. Qarabag, 4-2 up after winning away at Braga last week, had a man sent off in the 57th minute and then conceded twice in normal time for a 4-4 aggregate score. After a 0-0 draw in the away leg, Freiburg then went 0-2 down at home to Lens, but scored twice, including one in added time, to send their tie into extra time.

AC Milan and Benfica are the 2 teams already in the hat for the last 16 draw against one of the group winners.
  • 10 man Qarabag win extra time 2-1, losing 2-3 on the night but winning 6-5 on aggregate. Freiburg win 3-2 after extra time and by the same score on aggregate.
  • Sparta Prague, Sporting Lisbon and Marseille join AC Milan, Benfica, Qarabag and Freiburg in the list of possible opponents for us; Roma and Feyenoord have gone to extra time for the last place.
  • Roma through on pens.
  • EUROPA LEAGUE 23-24

Total Prize Money: €499,896,000

After Knockout Round -

Qualified to group stage: €3,630,000 ✅
    Match won in group stage: €630,000 x 5 ✅
    Group Draw Pot: €105,545 ✅
    1st in Group Stage: €1,100,000 ✅
    Round of 16: €1,200,000 ✅
    Quarter-Final: €1,800,000
    Semi-Final: €2,800,000
    Runners Up: €4,600,000
    Winner: €8,600,000

Coefficient Ranking payment: €132,000 per Coefficient ranking position (12th): €2,772,000 ✅

Market Pool* €69,750,000 / Number of Associations in Group Stage x 30%: €996,429 ✅
    Market Pool** (Group Stage) €27,900,000 - Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €422,727 ✅
    Market Pool** (Round of 16) €13,950,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €516,667 ✅

Market Pool** (Round of 8) €9,070,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €
    Market Pool** (Semi Final) €5,580,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €
    Market Pool** (Final) €2,790,000 / Number of Associations / Teams per Association: €

Running Total : €13,843,201 😎

Plus home attendances of 41,374 - 55,811 - 48,876
  • So only two teams from the Champions League got through

The draw could be a bit complicated, Slavia Praha can't be drawn against Sparta Praha, Leverkusen can't be drawn against Freiburg and Atalanta can't be drawn AC Milan or Roma
  • edited February 23
    Liverpool get Sparta Praha.
  • Villarreal get Marseille.
  • Brighton get Roma.
  • Rangers get Benfica.
  • We get Freiburg, again.
  • Atalanta get Sporting Lisbon.
    Slavia Praha get AC Milan.
    Leverkusen get Qarabag.

Has that ever happened before? Getting drawn against a team you played in the Group?

Freiburg must be pretty peeved at that!

Has that ever happened before? Getting drawn against a team you played in the Group?

Freiburg must be pretty peeved at that!
    I think it happened in one of the competitions last season, and Leverkusen and Qarabag were also in the same group this season.
  • Why would they be peeved its like there cup final after all we are massive =)