Pre-Season games 2023-24

Comments

• Oh. Ok. He wasn't mentioned in the Boreham Wood post, that's all.
  • Oh. Ok. He wasn't mentioned in the Boreham Wood post, that's all.

• Touché 😄
  • Danny Ings with our first goal of pre-season.

We're winning the lot.
  • No way Declan Rice gets in this team.
  • Bowen nets a third
  • Kodua with number 4
  • Embarrassing
  • Ogbonna was captain.

When he came off, armband went to Bowen.

You can read a bit into that, but not too much, imo.
  • edited July 2023
    Just having a quick look at the text updates.

I see Conor Coventry is back at the club. I wonder what his future holds.
  • MrsGrey said:

I see Conor Coventry is back at the club. I wonder what is future holds.

He's got to be sold, surely. He's not shown anything like PL quality imo. One year left on his contract afaik.

• edited July 2023
    Cresswell started as captain, followed by Ogbonna, both started, so seems currently Cresswell is the club captain.
  • Are our summer internationals not going to Australia for the two games. I think the squad leave tomorrow.
  • Declan who?
  • Are our summer internationals not going to Australia for the two games. I think the squad leave tomorrow.

Nothing to stop them flying out later in the week.
  • MrsGrey said:

Are our summer internationals not going to Australia for the two games. I think the squad leave tomorrow.

Nothing to stop them flying out later in the week.
    No, there’s only one more flight to Australia ever
  • They can go on the same flight as our new signings!
  • edited July 2023
    Just saw the highlights of last night’s game.
    We were so lucky.It was shambolic, if Boreham had taken their chances they would’ve thumped us.
    Yet again Antonio and Soucek were anonymous.
    We must be nailed on for relegation.
    Fumin.😡

*setting the tone.
  • @Slacker, Thought the front two worked better without Antonio IMHO.
  • Did Ings spend his holiday in Turkey?
  • I'm not convinced this Australia trip is particularly useful. I get it from a marketing perspective, but the players travelled yesterday, arrived today (well, about 9pm Perth time) so will presumably have a day/day and a half training before they play on Saturday.

Then two more days training, a game on the 18th and then the long journey back for the next UK game on the 22nd.

Just seems all a bit unnecessary, to be honest.
  • I think travelling to Australia from the UK needs to be for a minimum of 3 weeks stay. Travelling that far for 6 days is not a good idea.
  • It's a long trip during a shorter summer break than usual; because of the World Cup the season finished later than usual for all players, not just international players, and then the international players had still more games to play. On top of that, our season finished later than the league season due to the ECL final. All in all it feels like a very short turnaround between seasons, so having a trip all the way to Australia in an already short pre-season just feels like a bad idea.
  • The squad we have taken is incredibly thin also.
  • Hamstew said:

The squad we have taken is incredibly thin also.

Same squad as Monday night I guess? A good experience for the younger lads, but I feel like we've effectively just lost a few days worth of training for very little benefit.
  • Personally I think it’s just a bad look flying all those air miles for a few days in the middle of a climate change crisis.
  • Slacker said:

Personally I think it’s just a bad look flying all those air miles for a few days in the middle of a climate change crisis.

Agree.

Same goes for the inevitable winter trips all the clubs make to Dubai while their government funds a war in Sudan.

I quite liked the whole thing of us spending our pre-seasons in Scotland.
  • I wish our pre-season was in the South West of England.

Just being selfish