Pre-Season games 2023-24

This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn't think - from Dec 2022.

Comments

• Anyone read anything about when our pre-season training starts? Our first game is a week today so I assume it will have to be tomorrow or Wednesday.

Maybe just me, but I find it a bit weird that we have a game on Monday but the players haven't even done their check-ups at Rush Green yet. Is pre-season training also on hold until Rice is gone?
  • Anyone read anything about when our pre-season training starts? Our first game is a week today so I assume it will have to be tomorrow or Wednesday.

Maybe just me, but I find it a bit weird that we have a game on Monday but the players haven't even done their check-ups at Rush Green yet. Is pre-season training also on hold until Rice is gone?
    Our pre seasons always seem all over the place. We seem completely ready when it comes to the start of the season.
  • Hamstew said:

Anyone read anything about when our pre-season training starts? Our first game is a week today so I assume it will have to be tomorrow or Wednesday.

Our pre seasons always seem all over the place. We seem completely ready when it comes to the start of the season.
    *never
  • Against Borehamwood.

PRudz derby :-)
  • I'm guessing it'll essentially be an U23 game. We've had players on international duty that clearly won't feature, and a lot still appear to be on holiday judging by some of the social media posts.
  • Yeah I'd have thought so
  • edited July 2023
    So it looks like five first team friendlies:

Perth Glory 15/7
    Spurs 18/7
    Dagenham & Redbridge 22/7
    Rennes 29/7
    Leverkusen 5/8

Generally a better standard than last season, but doesn't feel like a lot of games 🤔
  • 5 games in three weeks feels like a lot to me?
  • Non-internationals due back today, apparently.
  • I'm guessing it'll essentially be an U23 game. We've had players on international duty that clearly won't feature, and a lot still appear to be on holiday judging by some of the social media posts.

Yeah, they'll probably give the first teamers available a 45 minute stint and make up the numbers with the reserves.
  • Judging by what I've seen across social media today, there was only Bowen, Downes, Cresswell, Zouma, Ogbonna, Emerson and Ings at training today.

Everyone else has been away on international duty I guess.

Actually, I did see something about Scamacca being back, but he didn't feature in the club's video 🤔
  • He was in the pictures of the tests.
  • We'll be using Nobby and Moyes in the in the first team at this rate 😂🤣😂.
  • He was in the pictures of the tests.

Yes, just seen pictures of him, Fornals and Fabianksi.

We nearly have a team.
  • edited July 2023
    Evening Standard reporting that Scamacca, Zouma, Bowen, Fabianski, Cresswell, Fornals, Ings, Downes and Ogbonna are all in the squad for tonight's game

Plus a load of kids
  • Question: where is Cornet?

He didn't play for Ivory Coast in their latest ACON game in June so I would have thought he'd have been back with the rest of the non-internationals, but I haven't seen him in any of the photos or videos.

In fact, I've only seen him recently front and centre in the Prague celebrations and the kit launch.

Would've thought he was the one player who would want and need a full pre-season given last season's struggles.
  • Evening Standard reporting that Scamacca, Zouma, Bowen, Fabianski, Cresswell, Fornals, Ings, Downes and Ogbonna are all in the squad for tonight's game

Plus a load of kids

There was an article on Athletic about young players to watch in pre-season across the PL, and they were suggesting that Mubama would be the most likely youth team player to feature heavily in pre-season (which is a fairly obvious call).
  • alderz said:

Evening Standard reporting that Scamacca, Zouma, Bowen, Fabianski, Cresswell, Fornals, Ings, Downes and Ogbonna are all in the squad for tonight's game

Plus a load of kids

There was an article on Athletic about young players to watch in pre-season across the PL, and they were suggesting that Mubama would be the most likely youth team player to feature heavily in pre-season (which is a fairly obvious call).
    Yeah, I'm not sure how much that's based on The Athletic's knowledge of the game, and how much is the fact that Mubama featured on the bench quite a lot last season.

He certainly seems next in line, so to speak, but even in pre-season without Antonio I think he's 3rd choice at best. He'll get minutes, but I don't think we'll see much of him after the Dagenham & Redbridge game.
  • After all that, no Mubama in the squad for Boreham Wood tonight.
  • Boreham Wood have announced our squad, and given Scamacca the #11 shirt. Rookies!
  • alderz said:

Boreham Wood have announced our squad, and given Scamacca the #11 shirt. Rookies!

Unless he's changed numbers maybe. Has worn it before. Paqueta may take on 10 (sorry Ham).
  • Is tonight's game being shown live at all ?
  • alderz said:

Boreham Wood have announced our squad, and given Scamacca the #11 shirt. Rookies!

Unless he's changed numbers maybe. Has worn it before. Paqueta may take on 10 (sorry Ham).

• Am I missing something here 🤷‍♂️
    Ham are you still dreaming of making it as West Ham’s number 10 and Paqueta is taking it?
  • Ravel49 said:

Am I missing something here 🤷‍♂️
    Ham are you still dreaming of making it as West Ham’s number 10 and Paqueta is taking it?

Lanzini 😢
  • Ravel49 said:

Am I missing something here 🤷‍♂️

If you don't know I'm not going to tell you.
  • Ha thanks Outcast
    Ham 🤫
  • alderz said:

So it would seem it isn't Boreham Wood that are the rookies

• edited July 2023

After all that, no Mubama in the squad for Boreham Wood tonight.

Mubama on the bench