NEWCASTLE (H) WED APRIL 6TH 8PM

Comments

• Even without the giveaway 3rd Newcastle goal 2nd half we have been 2nd best by a country mile…

In fairness, the second half performance was heavily influenced by the 3rd goal imo.

Being kind and very generous IMO.
    2nd half display probably about championship standard at best.. Tactics included
  • Comedy classic.
    Not gonna lay blame at Fabianski as he’s kept the score line as low as it is, but what a poor, poor showing, forget how decent Newcastle are, we have for most been very poor tonight

The frustrating thing is we haven't really been that bad this evening, apart from a few isolated, dreadful bits of defending. We've actually shown more going forward than we have in a lot of games this season.
  • I wasn't expecting anything from this game but I wasn't expecting this defensive showing. Leeds and Leicester now have a better goal difference.
  • edited April 2023
    Sorry , but 2nd half we have been very poor IMO
    1st half we were decent in patches, but 2nd half😡
  • Where we were😬
  • If this is us not being bad, dear me
  • Fornals must be livid
  • It's all just symptomatic of a team playing with no confidence. There's not been an ounce of belief on that pitch tonight. The subs changed literally nothing because it's the same tired formation and tactics.

Our first game in hand has only resulted in a -3 in our goal difference. The other game in hand is against City.

There's going to be so much pressure on our games against Palace, Bournemouth, Leeds and Leicester because I can't see us getting anything out of anyone half decent.
  • Fornals must be livid

Probably. But also it’s not like he’s shown anything to warrant him being in the side either. He’s been rubbish when he’s played this year. If we had players chomping at the bit ready to come in that would be one thing, but it’s not.
  • edited April 2023
    And 5.

Fab got quite a big hand on that, probably shoulda done better.
  • Moyes… Oh dear….
    He is our manager, and a defensive manager at best, we’ll tonight has been a defensive embarrassment, no other words..
    Dreadful performance
  • It's all just symptomatic of a team playing with no confidence. There's not been an ounce of belief on that pitch tonight. The subs changed literally nothing because it's the same tired formation and tactics.

Our first game in hand has only resulted in a -3 in our goal difference. The other game in hand is against City.

There's going to be so much pressure on our games against Palace, Bournemouth, Leeds and Leicester because I can't see us getting anything out of anyone half decent.

• 1 step forward, 5 steps back 🤣
  • Spineless team. Spineless manager. Spineless board.
  • Shambles
  • Five goals gifted. No manger can do anything about that. In some patches we played well but well beaten at the end. Ings hardly had a touch. Still need 4 wins to survive.
  • Not sure how we played well. Defending was abysmal, Paqueta & Soucek abysmal, Benrahma anonymous, Antonio ineffective. Rice & Bowen only two to come out with credit.
  • Antonio IMO was doing well, why didn’t Moyes at least try and go 2 up top , even if we’d lost like we did, at least he would have tried to get back into it, but 4 like for like subs is so old school, it’s IMO tactically naive..
    That’s what winds me up the most, Moyes seems bereft of a alternative…
    The goals we conceded were bad, no excuses, but Moyes and his tactics are also at fault IMO
  • Slacker said:

Game over already

It’s not though is it?

It is
    Not twenty minutes in it wasn’t.
    Honestly mate have ever posted anything positive?
    You just trot out the old tired negative stuff
    time after time.
    Yeah that was a bad,bad defeat but it was unbelievable errors at the back that caused it.
    At half time we were on top and Aguerd’s mistake killed us and Fabianski’s put us in the ground.
  • It's hard to blame Moyes for the individual errors, but ultimately they're the result of a complete lack of confidence. It's his job to get the best out of these players and he has fundamentally failed on that front this season.

Because for all of those defensive abhorrations tonight, we created absolutely nothing from open play. Not a single shot on target that I can remember. The errors that the defence and 'keeper made were repeated across the pitch, but with less serious consequence.
  • Lukerz said:

We need an almost faultless half now, if we produce it we can take at least a point.

Can’t be falling asleep any more times.

That did not age well
  • edited April 2023
    We actually started brightly against a decent team, I was getting hopeful but in the premier league you just cannot gift the opposition goals, let alone four of them, for the first he was six yards out and totally unmarked, for the second we failed to track the runner and he waltzed through unopposed, the third and fourth had to be seen to be believed, complete howlers that were essentially own goals, the fifth was well taken but clearly the game was over by then.

That is the 20,000 ft version but in essence we started well and put some promising moves together going forward with some strong individual runs but we were undone by a series of defensive mistakes, I do not hold DM accountable for them but I do question the initial selection, (Soucek) and the subs, he tried to mix it up and I was cheered when Cornet came on with Ings but of course it was a false dawn, no change to the formation, Ings was up there on his own and guess what - he is NOT a lone striker.

The facts are the facts and in that shocking 2nd half we failed to land a glove on them and I feel sorry for Fabs, for the most part, he actually kept us in the game but he will be remembered for the howler

Is it just me, but I cannot fathom how Kehrer and “International Defender for Germany” end up in the same sentence

• West Ham manager David Moyes speaking to Match of the Day: "I'm not sure the score is what it should have been, it was down to individual big mistakes. We had done a lot of things which warranted goals before half-time, could have scored but we didn't.

"Overall there were things in the game I was pleased with, we had more attempts than the Southampton game but didn't defend well at all."

On the home fans leaving early: "I would have left as well, but the players were working as hard as they could, their effort was fantastic."

That last part is a big worry.
  • edited April 2023
    My twopennuth:

Kehrer should never wear the claret and blue again, unless we can offload him to Villa. =)

It must be made clear in no uncertain terms to Fabianski that we are not a "playing out from the back" team and he should just boot it upfield.

Moyes has to go.
  • edited April 2023
    So my after thought.....
    For 20 mins in the game ( 99% in 1st half we looked decent )
    Fot the other 70 mins and additional time we were bad, in fact we were hopeless.
    Individual errors, boring same old tactics from Moyes and giving away the ball at every other opportunity. I'd love to know how many times Paqueta did, because it seemed like most of the time.

For once Moyes had the chance to play Ings alongside Antonio who I thought was putting in a great shift, but no, Moyes knows best and makes 4 like for like substitutions.
    This is where IMO Moyes does himself no favours and where he let's himself and our team down, his tactics are IMO non existent, he simply seems not to understand or point blank refuses, HE HAS TO GO NOW PLEASE.

This was a poor performance for most and Moyes has to take blame, along with the school boy perfromances from most defenders playing, it was a hammer horror house production at it's very best last night and for me things need to change quick if we want to change our fortunes for the better, there are other managers out there and even ones that wouldn't need buying from a club as such...

I'd be over the moon with Moyes leaving...... TODAY PLEASE..............
    BUT It's over to those who know better than me now.....
  • Newcastle did to us exactly what they did to Man Utd at the weekend. The way Howe has got them playing at the moment I don't think anyone apart from Arsenal and City can match them.

Bring on Fulham
  • edited April 2023
    Some of us also have overinflated impressions of how good some of our players are. Social media is full of fans believing Benrahma to be our player of the season. The guy is generally rubbish in his output with the odd game where he scores a worldie or causes problems. His consistency is shocking.

Paqueta is, also, fairly poor at anything we signed him to do. He puts himself about & wins tackles, enjoys his flicks & tricks but in terms of end product, there is nothing. Aguerd seems to get regularly called world class, yet he’s had as many poor games as good. Kehrer is one of the poorest players I have seen in some time, defensively, yet is currently our starting RB. Soucek has completely lost his game.

Moyes may not be getting the best out of the side but he has regularly got more than the best out of the side for the last two years.

As I said a few weeks ago, if you had two options, sell the entire group of last summers signings or keep them, most would cash them all back in.
  • If you accept that our players are rubbish, then surely you have to question the judgement of the manager that signed them.

All of the names you mentioned were signed by Moyes.

You can't blame the rubbish players whilst giving a free pass to the man that signed and coaches them.
  • @Lukerz, Some of us also have an overinflated opinion of how bad some of our players are. Paqueta for example is having to go around putting tackles in as a few around him aren't doing it. It would be great if he could play behind a front two & have people behind him to do the defensive stuff but there aren't. I for one would not cash in on the likes of Aguerd, Scamacca, Emerson & Paqueta.