Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• edited May 5
    I do hope there's a change but I am not going to rejoice in Moyes departure. I've disliked the football a lot of the time but nobody can take his successes away from him and I hope he finds another club quickly.
  • Pinched this from another West Ham site.

Julen Lopetegui’s teams, in his last 3 jobs, have scored less goals per game than Moyes at West Ham.

He also has less points per game than Moyes in 2 of those 3 jobs, including his time at Real Madrid!

Excited?
  • DJ Hammer said:

Excited?

Not particularly, but it's getting increasingly difficult for anyone to argue that Moyes should stay.

• Moyes post match:

"I'm the manager so I take ownership of that but sometimes the players have to take responsibility as well."

If it had been just once or twice this season, then fair enough, but there's something very wrong for us to have had the beatings we have had this season, and that's on Moyes imo.
  • Moyes post match:

"I'm the manager so I take ownership of that but sometimes the players have to take responsibility as well."

If it had been just once or twice this season, then fair enough, but there's something very wrong for us to have had the beatings we have had this season, and that's on Moyes imo.

We have no centre backs who are any good basically. There’s been a steady decline and an influx of goals since Craig Dawson left the club. Now he was/is a defender.

• Just a thought... We are a defensive counter attacking side that puts a lot of men behind the ball. Result...70 goals conceded. Can you imagine how many we would've shipped if we played more offensively!
  • Moyes post match:

Said similar in the match thread...
    The team are bereft of ideas, tactics etc....not just down to them, but MOYES needs to also look closer to home IMO....Anyway surely he's gone at end of season, and from me it's well done, and time to part ways....
  • We have a small (maybe shrinking) core of good players. If they aren't added to and we don't buy into a new managers philosophy we will be in big trouble next season
  • DJ Hammer said:

Moyes post match:

We have no centre backs who are any good basically. There’s been a steady decline and an influx of goals since Craig Dawson left the club. Now he was/is a defender.

Moyes has brought in a CB in each of the last 3 summer windows, so I've got very little sympathy for him.

• Moyes has given us silverware and stability which has been great.
    It is time for him to go now though. Thw squad is weak, and it seems they are not playing for him.
  • I've been disappointed that Chalobah has played a few times recently. Perhaps he's less likely to be sold now and perhaps less likely to want to come to us (as opposed to winter window when we were still in Europe and higher in the league and he was sitting out of the team)

• Areola
    Aguerd
    Mavropanos
    Emerson
    Alvarez
    Paqueta
    Kudus
    Bowen

Is probably the core we need to now build around of the current squad. Zouma is not reliable, Coufal & Zouma inconsistent & getting older, JWP more of an experienced head & Soucek the same. Antonio should be at the end soon. It is probably worth selling Paqueta & using that money to rebuild.
  • I think Sullivan is pushing the 'story' about Julen Lopetegui, so that he can say, "I've listened to the fans, and decided to keep Moyes"
    Just a thought
  • Sullivan will know that some managers will not be able to speak or at least those talks be made public until the end of the season so I would imagine the picture will not clear until then. Lopetegui is one of the few managers that doesn't apply to as he is not in work so it's ok for any talks to be public.

I will be surprised if Kompany starts next season at Burnley and a club of our size will probably where he ends up, but there is no way he is speaking publicly about anything during a relegation fight.
  • edited May 5
    The sad thing is, his last home game will be against Luton and if that goes pear shaped well I wouldn't want to be a player or manager on the pitch.

Then his very last game is against City where you genuinely could see a Southampton 9-0 / 10-0 scoreline and that's not being hyperbolic.

Will be a very sad way to leave after lifting a trophy 12 months prior.
  • Re. Burnley. I can't imagine that they'd want rid of Kompany.

I can't see that he would want to leave then at this point. In the Champo, I mean.

Also, I wouldn't want him.

He had an easy ride this year - promoted team, pretty much sure to be relegated again. So it's great to do lots of sexy attacking entertaining football. Nothing to lose.
  • Don't want Kompany However Klopp on the other hand would at lest make Baz happy and might even stop him going on about Liverpool =)
  • Oh but what a dream appointment! It’ll never happen. Now Klopp is leaving I will not like Liverpool anywhere near as much 🥴🥲
  • edited May 6
    What I find odd is why we’ve gone away from the system that was working prior to the disruption we had in January with AFCoN & the injuries?

Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Bowen - Paqueta

That front 6 was working wonders for us. We then got disrupted with Kudus off to AFCoN & Paqueta/Bowen picked up knocks but that was the team that was doing well. The extra body in midfield made us difficult to get through & at our vulnerable defence. It was also the formation we played v Bayer when we were superb second leg, Antonio for Paqueta.

I am not sure this Bowen - Paqueta - Kudus behind Antonio works as we are so open it’s unreal. Our last 3 PL wins (Brentford, Everton, Wolves) all came with Bowen up top & a midfield three. I will look later but I bet our record with Kudus, Paqueta, Bowen & Antonio all on the pitch at once is horrendous, especially defensively.

In fact, I’ve gone further back; wins at Arsenal (2-0), over Man Utd (2-0), over Wolves (3-0), over Forest (3-2), over Spurs (2-1), over Burnley (2-1). We’ve won two games playing a traditional front four (both in cups); Freiburg (5-0) & Arsenal (3-1) - Benrahma played LW, Paqueta 10, Kudus RW, Bowen up front. Our only PL win NOT playing Alvarez, JWP, Soucek as a midfield three together was Chelsea home (3-1).

It’s actually very simple to fix.
  • Moyes could be coming back by the end of next season then 😂
    Lukerz said:
  • Feel sad for Moyes that an overall great spell overall is ending so poorly. And I haven't read anything about Lopetegui that makes me feel excited. I'm looking forward to the season being over so I don't have to think about West Ham for a few months, to be honest
  • such a sideways appointment, the board need to sell up and go
  • Very underwhelming if true.
  • such a sideways appointment, the board need to sell up and go

If only
  • This is beginning to sound like the Dawson signing to me 😂
  • MrsGrey said:

Re. Burnley. I can't imagine that they'd want rid of Kompany.

I can't see that he would want to leave then at this point. In the Champo, I mean.

Also, I wouldn't want him.

He had an easy ride this year - promoted team, pretty much sure to be relegated again. So it's great to do lots of sexy attacking entertaining football. Nothing to lose.

It’s hard to see Burnley parting company with Kompany. Sorry, couldn’t resist.
  • This is where be careful what you wish for will bite us. I think Lopetigui is more a step down than even sideways.
    He’s not even Steidten’s first choice so that should make an interesting interaction.
    They’ve made a complete mess of this as i cant remember a time when fans called for a manager to go before he’s even come in.
  • But you don't always get first choices, especially when they don't want to come, so second choice isn't so bad. He wants to come, which is usually a good sign.
    There is apparently a caveat around his signing in that he will join only if Moyes goes, so still plenty to be sorted.
  • edited May 6
    I believed until a couple of months ago that Moyes was the man for us going forward & was for him signing a short-term extension. I do feel, over the last 10 games or so, he has almost made it impossible for the club to retain him given his contract ends naturally at the end of the season. I am not saying I WANT him out, but I don’t see how he can be retained now after the last few games/performances.