Leicester (H) 12/11 k/o 15:00 🦊

Comments

• His style and set up is already to grind out results/be hard to break down! Now we dont counter well as we were found out a long time ago. The newer players were bought with a change of style (and obviously to give us some depth as loads departed too) in mind.

It isn't working and hasn't done so for a while. Being more defensive and trying to grind out even more so than we do now.... I think it'll just delay the inevitable.

Unfortunately, West Ham is in my blood and has been since the early 70s. I respect the opinion of those who want to give the manager more time but I have had enough and I do not see him or his style changing anytime soon.

We do have quite a few very good players. Those same players are probably starting to wonder why they're playing in such a negative, safe back and sideways passing, backs to the wall, anemic going forward type of team (if they haven't already). Even with the safe try n hold on to the ball and build possession up the pitch mindset we still certainly do not do it well and whilst we haven't yet been hammered for a while we are definitely a defensively error prone team who can't claw our way back into a game is someone scores against us.
  • That many “fans” want us to play open attacking football but the position we could be in come say, March would call for a more pragmatic approach to survive and reset for next season. I think most seasoned fans would accept that.
  • edited November 2022
    Oh right. I just think we need a new manager otherwise might get relegated. I have west ham in my blood as much as anyone on here.
  • Hamstew said:

Oh right. I just think we need a new manager otherwise might get relegated. I have west ham in my blood as much as anyone on here.

Good response.đź‘Ź

• Baz, did you think we tried to grind out a result today?
  • Slaker when would be the time to change for you?
  • Slacker said:

Baz, did you think we tried to grind out a result today?

I think our style is defensive/loads behind the ball. It worked when we countered well. If we do indeed start to grind out then I dont see what else we'll do from our norm apart from being even more defensive. We cant even rely on set piece goals anymore either. Being scared to go toe to toe against anyone isnt helping. Of course this is just my opinion
  • edited November 2022
    I feel that I am in danger of getting in-between a domestic dispute here :-), for me, what I struggle with is why we start so slow, there were certainly periods in todays game where we looked decent but we started really poorly and the last 15 were just as bad.

I see no reason why even at 2 down, we could not have finished on the front foot but there seemed little desire.

I like the look of Paq and feel that he just needs to have a few things work out, he is clearly an intelligent footballer, Scam is a worry as he does not have the pace required for the isolated role he is being asked to fulfill and unfortunately, Bowen is currently all hustle and bustle with little in the way of end product.

Watching Brentford away to Citeh was telling, when they broke it was purposeful and at a blistering pace, we do not seem to have either.

I think that DM has only a few games after the WC to show that he can get this team back on the front foot and playing the whole 90 with purpose and confidence, I unfortunately do not think he has many…

Just my tuppence worth
  • Hamstew said:

Slaker when would be the time to change for you?

Certainly not now. If we are to be in a relegation scrap I’d stick with a vastly experienced manager.

• edited November 2022
    Taking the performances out of the equation for a moment, because there's an element of subjectivity that gets applied, the results have been bad for a good while.

This taken from Twitter last night:

So we can argue amongst ourselves as to whether we're negative, pragmatic, unlucky etc. but the facts are that this drop in form is not, as has been suggested, a blip. If not relegation form, it is certainly relegation-battle form and ultimately it's the manager that takes that responsibility.

Moyes has only lost the players he was happy to lose in the summer, and has been insistent that he has the final say in who has come in, so we have to assume this is his squad. If it's not performing as it should, then it's on him to resolve it, and I've seen no real evidence that he can. With Arsenal away on Boxing Day, if we stick with Moyes then it's almost a statistical certainty that we'll lose (his Big Six away record is a well documented embarrassment) and then we could quite easily be in the bottom three with almost half the season gone. If that doesn't worry people then I don't know what will.

A new manager may not change things. A new manager may make things worse. But that's no bigger risk than letting Moyes carry on in this form, IMO.
  • That’s a fair appraisal OCS ,but to change it now would be a massive risk imo. I would stick and give Moyes the chance to resolve it, he deserves that chance for what he’s done in the past couple of seasons.
  • For me, I look at moyes and I look to wait he's tried to do to change our fortunes and on face value...its nothing

Don't have any confidence he can change it around tactically, feel he's praying/counting on the guys just finding form through the fact they are quality players who shouldn't be in a relegation battle...but shades of Pellegrini here
  • I am OK if Moyes stays but he has to change something. We are too defensive and slow in attack. also got to find a way of getting scammaca into the game more. I feel that we pass the ball backwards more than any other team. no stats to prove it but that is my impression.
  • Barney said:

I am OK if Moyes stays but he has to change something. We are too defensive and slow in attack. also got to find a way of getting scammaca into the game more. I feel that we pass the ball backwards more than any other team. no stats to prove it but that is my impression.

I think the concern is that there's been no real evidence that he can change something. It's been nearly a season's worth of poor form so I would have thought that anything he could have changed, he would have done so by now.

You can argue he's been hamstrung by the injuries to Aguerd and Cornet, but every team has injury problems and the point of a bigger, balanced squad is to mitigate the risk of injury.

I guess I just don't see what more Moyes can do. If he hasn't improved our form in nearly twelve months then I can't see anything changing in the next six. And if he doesn't then there's a very real chance that we'll go down.
  • edited November 2022
    He's not changing anything imo. Like you say he's had plenty of time to change things. I was pretty shocked yesterday seeing the line up as I was sure he was going to try and change it up a bit.
  • Half of our players suit possession based football and others suit a more direct style. For possession football to work, everyone needs to be comfortable on the ball…. Not just some of our players
  • edited November 2022
    A manager can take responsibility & results/performances can be deemed unacceptable, but still remain in charge & sort things out. Those first two things don’t need to lead to a sacking.
  • edited November 2022
    Moyes will end up, after Xmas, with a side like this:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Bowen - Paqueta - Benrahma
    Antonio

He’ll go back to his safe bets in Coufal & Antonio, because Kehrer & Scamacca are very inconsistent (I don’t rate Kehrer, think he’s only going to be of use in a back 3. Aguerd will hopefully be fit to start games & Paqueta will stay in because Fornals & Lanzini aren’t consistent enough.

We’ll have Cornet back too, you’d assume. I also think the attempt to change style isn’t working. We need to go back to what we were. A side who, in the main, defended well & countered with pace & quality. We don’t have a good enough CM to change to this new way of playing. At the moment we are playing into teams hands. As long as we play a side who defends relatively well, we lose the game.

I would quite like to see a 4-3-3 (not 4-2-3-1) &
    Fornals - Rice - Paqueta in the middle 3. You can then play Bowen - Antonio - Benrahma in the front 3. That, to me, looks like a much stronger, balanced side. Paqueta & Scamacca will not be used effectively with Soucek in midfield & Dawson/Zouma in defence. They just won’t get enough of the ball.
  • Lukerz said:

A manager can take responsibility & results/performances can be deemed unacceptable, but still remain in charge & sort things out. Those first two things don’t need to lead to a sacking.

How long do you give him to sort things out Lukerz? Because I think of a lot us are struggling to see any evidence that he can. Do you wait until he's lost the next three? Or give him another month after that?

There's a risk associated either way, and I don't envy the board having to make such a decision. There are no guarantees that Moyes, or indeed a new manager, can arrest this slide, but I think I'd rather give someone new a go because we know that Moyes is struggling right now.
  • I’m not sure Scamacca is inconsistent. He’s consistently looked good when we have players that go near him, and anonymous when we don’t.
  • Personally, I don’t believe we’ll be relegated come May if Moyes is in charge then. I think the bigger gamble is sacking him.

You only have to read Rice’s comments yesterday. The team is behind him & fully supporting of him as manager. The effort is there, there’s no loss of the dressing room. We’re into the final 16 of Europe.

I back him to sort the form out. What that looks like? I don’t know. It may be finishing 14th & going again next season. It may be winning the Europa Conference. It may be ending up 8th.

The World Cup has come at the perfect time. It will act as a reset & allow us to prepare for the rest of the season.
  • alderz said:

I’m not sure Scamacca is inconsistent. He’s consistently looked good when we have players that go near him, and anonymous when we don’t.

At the very least his finishing is. He’s scored twice but probably had around 15 clear chances.
  • Regardless he's isn't going anywhere anyway. I'm grateful for the break from West Ham playing regularly but at the same time the Arsenal game is looming in the background. For me it's inevitable that he'll go eventually and I feel now would have been a good time to change. Just my thoughts.
  • OCS, personally I’m tired of us switching out managers every two or three seasons and having to start again. If we had a record of owners who brought in managers that built on the work of their predecessors then I’d be less worried but I fear that we’d be going backwards again by changing Moyes. I don’t think I’d be upset if he went at this point because it has been a whole year of bad performances which were covered up by Bowen’s form and set piece goals in the second half of last season. But still, I don’t think we’ll get relegated and we can hopefully build again. Arteta had Arsenal near the relegation zone not too long ago and look how they’ve transformed now. It’s so long since anyone gave us the run of success that Moyes did that I feel he deserves a bit more time. I think if he hadn’t changed anything about our approach into January I’d be worried though.

Hopefully us being rubbish again opens up space for us to counter attack again. We need Cornet back for that and probably Antonio on the wing. We’ve really suffered for a lack of pacy attackers for a while now.
  • Newman will go before Moyes. If there is any failing so far this season it’s on recruitment. Not sure who had ultimate say but get the feeling Moyes was provided with players.
  • edited November 2022
    Outcast, I agree that there's a familiarity about this situation; we saw it with Bilic, we saw it with Pellegrini and we're seeing it with Moyes. A couple of good seasons and then a huge loss in form. Not sure why it keeps happening, but here we are.

Believe me, I'd rather not be discussing Moyes going. I had hoped that he'd be able to build on the last two seasons, but we haven't even stood still; we've regressed in both performance and result, IMO.

And the big questions re your last paragraph are; will Moyes change our approach (he hasn't thus far so I have no reason to believe he will in January), and would he be brave enough to play Cornet, Scamacca and Antonio in the same team, as you've suggested? I just can't see it.
  • The point is you just don’t finish top 7 every year. You have bad periods/months/seasons/years. Now clearly if we have a poor season & go down, he’ll go. If we have a poor season, stay up & start badly next season, he’ll probably go. But I don’t think he goes after 15 games this season with a whole load of new signings & a loss of key, experienced personnel in the dressing room.
  • Not sure anyone on here has said they're not concerned or all is fine.
  • I think changing the manager at this point would be the wrong thing to do. It’s not exactly got Chelsea firing on all cylinders.
    Also I don’t think our counter attacking has been “found out” but more a case of not being very good at it for some time as we can’t convert chances into goals. Leicester counter attacked yesterday and took their chances. Would anyone of ours hit the shot first time like Maddison.
    If we could cut out the stupid mistakes it would help as they nearly always end up with goals. We stopped this at the latter part of the 19/20 season and carried it on for another season and a half but seemed to slip back at the beginning of this year.
    Apart from Arsenal nobody is having a consistent season and I wonder if in part that has been due to the moronic idea to hold a World Cup in November.
  • edited November 2022
    I don’t think any of our performances (bar Palace) have been bad. Think we’ve seen a lot of 5-6/10 performances. I thought our best was Spurs home which was an 8/10 & we did quite well at Liverpool (maybe a 7/10). But there’s been a lot of average stuff, without being awful or brilliant. Our wins against Villa, Wolves, Fulham, Bournemouth - all were pretty average performances, although we deserved to win all of them. Saints away I thought we were pretty decent.