Blackburn Rovers (H) - The EFL Cup, Wednesday 9th November, 19:45

12346»

Comments

• MrsG, Apologies I was basing my research on our results in the Premier League to suit my own agenda! =)

Did we win something in Europe then?
  • edited November 2022
    Saints have been in Europe - but not a lot

2015 they qualified for the Europa League by finishing 7th but lost to Midtjylland and didn't make the Group Stage

2016 they finished 6th, went straight into the Europa League Group Stage but ended up 3rd behind Sparta Prague and Hapoel Be'er Sheva

They were also in the UEFA cup 2003 but got knocked out in the 1st round by our old mates Steaua Bucharest

They managed three brief appearances in the UEFA Cup in the 80s that didn't go past October but their best effort was the quarter final of the 1976/77 Cup Winners Cup, losing to Anderlecht (it is a small word, isn't it)

Back then they were in the 2nd Division with Lawrie McMenemy in charge, famous for telling the world...

"Enjoy life, enjoy Barbican".
  • ASLEF, It's only fair to mention they did beat Inter Milan in the group stages & actually finished level on points with Hapoel with a better goal difference but still didn't progress.
  • This season, with the exception of the Conference Leagues performances, we are emulating the tail-end of the Pellegrini era. Struggling to score, leaky defence and poor performances. Just like Pellegrini, Moyes has spent big too. May be new arrivals have created friction about wages of the previous players. Or may be new arrivals can't do what Moyes demands. If so, why were they bought? May be Moyes needs to change tactics. I am fearful about our EPL future.
  • @Pengeman, He got rid of Anderson now playing well for a manager who rates him at Lazio, Vlasic with a coach who knows how to get the best out of him at Torino & Haller scored goals for fun at Ajax after he left us. We will never know but we may not have needed to spend big on Paqueta or Scamacca if David Moyes had played the other two in their best positions?
  • Anderson had one good season and couldn't get a game when he went on loan to Porto. Haller was hardly impressive before Moyes took over from Pellegrini. For whatever reason Vlasic just didn't fit in

I'm really not worried, we're through to the Round of 16 in Europa Conference with the FA Cup and 24 league games left until the end of the season

ASLEF, It's only fair to mention they did beat Inter Milan in the group stages & actually finished level on points with Hapoel with a better goal difference but still didn't progress.

That was not happy season for Inter.

They had a change of owners in the summer and Roberto Mancini quit days before the start of the season. He was replaced by Frank de Boer who couldn't speak Italian and was fired after three months
  • ASLEF, IMHO I am not sure that David Moyes really tried to give any of the 3 I mentioned a chance to play to their strengths. I know some will say the Dutch league is rubbish but Haller set records in the Champions League & Vlasic/Anderson are proving their worth in Serie A. Instead of signing players who the manager then appears to want to change why not just go after the right ones to suit his needs in the first place?
  • There have been numerous examples of players that looked good on paper but didn't fit in, all the way back to Ted MacDougall

Anderson and Haller were underperforming under Pellegrini and did not improve after Moyes arrived. For whatever reason they didn't fit into the system Moyes wanted and he let them go.

Moyes brought Vlasic in and for whatever reason Moyes has decided to let him leave

We finished 7th last season, the last time we finished that high was 2016 and 2002. We finished 6th the season before, our highest finish since 1999

Moyes is arguably the best manager we've had since John Lyall and honestly I don't think we can get anyone better
  • Would have been at home to Forest in next round.
  • Would have been at home to Forest in next round.

And one of City and Liverpool will go out, definitely should have been a chance to go deep.
  • Welll, penalty shotouts are usually tricky and we have had so many penalties saved this season that I didn't expect us to get to penalty 20 before going out.
    A big problem in games like this for me is momentum. We aren't playing well and the players know it. Blackburn, on the other hand, are flying high and the players can take this momentum into games such as this.
  • Looking at the numbers in the draw after I found out Blackburn had got Forest I didn’t know that the numbers were allocated in alphabetical order except for Man U who were 16. If we’d won we would have been 14 whereas Blackburn were 2 so the whole draw would have been different.